Shanling M9 Announced - Flagship High-End Portable Player
Feb 26, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #721 of 1,352
Will have to look at the iPhone screen protector (or something similar)...I was wondering how long it would take for someone to find one that was a close-enough fit. Did you take the factory protector off when you applied the new glass screen protector, or did you just stack them? Thanks!
Hi WyldeBlue,

I just stacked the new protector on top of the original one - I didn't know one was already fitted at the factory! :D

I just measured the screen size and then searched on Amazon UK for one that was approximately the same size. I ended choosing the JETech 2-pack protector for £5.99. I didn't search for too long so there might be another protector that fits even better.

Feb 26, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #722 of 1,352
Hi WyldeBlue,

I just stacked the new protector on top of the original one - I didn't know one was already fitted at the factory! :D

I just measured the screen size and then searched on Amazon UK for one that was approximately the same size. I ended choosing the JETech 2-pack protector for £5.99. I didn't search for too long so there might be another protector that fits even better.

Yeah, I gotta hand it to Shanling, they did a good job with the factory protectors on my device. I was actually certain my unit had a manufacturing defect when I first opened it up because there were so many air bubbles on the top surface (around the headphone jack)--I didn't realize until later that Shanling ships the M9 with a plastic shipping film on top of yet another plastic cover around the port, too. I wish they used tempered glass the way FiiO does with their factory protectors, but it's nice to know there's at least something up front and near the swappable port to take a few stray impacts.

Feb 26, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #723 of 1,352
That is crap that you are having so many issues. @Shanling really need to step in and help you out here. Either that or look at exchanging it for another unit.
They have resolved the issue for me. The irony is that after attending can jam, this dap still personally impressed me the most out of all the current daps out (even over the N8ii which I tried as well). I am biased though as I am not really into tubes for IEMs; the M9 sounded a lot more resolving to my ears and the faster UI on the M9 is a true cherry on top.

Andrew from Musicteck truly is a gentleman and he was working super hard today as his booth was really popular. Though I am not in the industry, I do get a feeling their trade and line of work is not easy. Competition these days in every field only seems to get harder and harder.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #724 of 1,352
They have resolved for me. The irony is after attending can jam, this dap still personally impressed me more than the N8ii. I am biased though as I am not really into tubes, but the M9 sounded lot more resolving to my years.

Andrew from musicteck truly is a gentleman and he was working super hard today as his table and booth were really popular, happy for him.
Great to hear. Andrew is a top man.

Interesting re the N8ii. I was hoping to hear more people's opinions on the N8ii who also have or had heard the M9. N8ii is certainly getting a lot of plaudits right now.

Feb 26, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #725 of 1,352
Great to hear. Andrew is a top man.

Interesting re the N8ii. I was hoping to hear more people's opinions on the N8ii who also have or had heard the M9. N8ii is certainly getting a lot of plaudits right now.
Yeah definitely, which is why I was surprised myself to have liked M9 more, could be just a preference thing but Currawong on YouTube review on the N8ii also seems to point towards it being bit more rounded and warm sounding, for my testing I was doing non amp mode with the N8ii to have a more “fair” comparison to the M9.

Feb 26, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #726 of 1,352
Yeah definitely, which is why I was surprised myself to have liked M9 more, could be just a preference thing but Currawong on YouTube review on the N8ii also seems to point towards it being bit more rounded and warm sounding, for my testing I was doing non amp mode with the N8ii to have a more “fair” comparison to the M9.
I think M9 is fantastic. It has completely taken over for me. I use my N6ii when out and about as it's tiny in comparison but everything else is collecting dust since M9 arrived. Interested to hear N8ii too though.

Feb 26, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #728 of 1,352
The N8ii gives a different sound signature. Which makes it unique.
For sure it is also more versatile, at the end of the day you have to try yourself to see what you prefer. Both great in their own right.

Feb 27, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #729 of 1,352
I think M9 is fantastic. It has completely taken over for me. I use my N6ii when out and about as it's tiny in comparison but everything else is collecting dust since M9 arrived. Interested to hear N8ii too though.
Glad to hear you’re enjoying M9 as much as I am :) I’m basically the same. M9 gets the most play time these days

Mar 1, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #730 of 1,352
M9 is fantastic but I can't keep them all having preordered N8ii... although I'll miss it for sure I am selling mine at quite a good price I think... details in my sig...

Mar 1, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #731 of 1,352
M9 is fantastic but I can't keep them all having preordered N8ii... although I'll miss it for sure I am selling mine at quite a good price I think... details in my sig...

Shouldn't you listen to the N8ii first before deciding on selling the M9? :confused:

Mar 1, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #732 of 1,352
If you join the Beta for UAPP on Google Play store you’ll be able to update to a new version that should have support for the M9. At the bottom of your screen you can see “Android”, this should say “Direct” once UAPP is working correctly and successfully bypassing the Android driver. Hopefully the update file I mentioned above fixes this.

Further to this, if once you’ve updated, it still says 48khz bottom left of the screen (next to where is says “Android” or (hopefully) “Direct”) and doesn’t match what the second screen on the M9 is stating (something like the “PCM 705.6” you’ve got showing in the other screenshot), then contact UAPP support (support@extreamsd.com). From there, Davy sent me another APK update file which fully fixed it for me
What is the latest on UAPP and Tidal? I am interested in this DAP but I don't want to have to resort to these theatrics to get it all to work properly.

Mar 1, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #733 of 1,352
What is the latest on UAPP and Tidal? I am interested in this DAP but I don't want to have to resort to these theatrics to get it all to work properly.
You need to update the firmware on the device to v1.4 when you get it first.

Then for Tidal, version 2.52.x works perfectly for me. You can easily download it from the APK Pure app that is installed on the device.

UAPP - I'm not sure if this has been updated yet, but you had to join the beta programme of the app to make bit perfect work. This was just because the device was new and UAPP needed to be updated to recognize it. This may have been updated since and that is no longer the requirement but if it is, you can join the beta programme via the Google Play store with one click.

Both Apps work without issue for me.

Also, while I always point out to people to be aware of the issues people have been experiencing before they commit to buy, I will also point out that I've had no issues since the initial setup and it has been perfect since. If you have any questions let me know and I'll try answer them.

Mar 1, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #734 of 1,352

Yeah should work with the latest version of UAPP now.

My first paragraph (on my last post) is all you’d need to do. In Google play store join the beta and then just download the latest version. That’s it. Works perfectly with Tidal and Qobuz. Not a single issue in several weeks now. It’s ace.

The second point (on my last post) is sorted by the latest update (see above paragraph). There’s no need to contact UAPP for a separate APK (and it worked before that anyway, just showed the wrong bitrate on UAPP interface despite DAP playing it correctly).

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #735 of 1,352
A whole new level! :beyersmile:

C0251FB1-8B35-4B79-9B67-39D62DA6054E.JPEG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back