Shanling M9 Announced - Flagship High-End Portable Player
Feb 1, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #616 of 1,360
It's the Lunar New Year so I doubt we'll see an update anytime soon.
Yes, indeed. Let's hope we're not going to end up as 500 "limited editon beta testers" forever. In the meantime, the only Tidal version that loads fine and does not crash 4-5 times a day on Tidal MQA Masters has been 2.52.1.1050.4778. I played it on my M9 for 4 days now with no single lock up.

Feb 3, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #617 of 1,360
Yes, indeed. Let's hope we're not going to end up as 500 "limited editon beta testers" forever. In the meantime, the only Tidal version that loads fine and does not crash 4-5 times a day on Tidal MQA Masters has been 2.52.1.1050.4778. I played it on my M9 for 4 days now with no single lock up.
I do not know if this would help you, but I had the similar issue with Tidal. A cold reboot (completely power down, then start the M9) instead of just restarting the M9 fixed stopped the Tidal MQA crashes, making Tidal crashes truly incidental: after a cold reboot it only happened once in weeks.

Latest version of Tidal 2.54 does not work me either, but the previous 2.52 version seems fine.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #618 of 1,360
I do not know if this would help you, but I had the similar issue with Tidal. A cold reboot (completely power down, then start the M9) instead of just restarting the M9 fixed stopped the Tidal MQA crashes, making Tidal crashes truly incidental: after a cold reboot it only happened once in weeks.

Latest version of Tidal 2.54 does not work me either, but the previous 2.52 version seems fine.
Yes, that's it! An older Tidal version like 2.52 + a cold reboot keep things reasonably stable. I did not think about the cold reboot factor. Thanks!

Feb 4, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #619 of 1,360
The M9 driving the MySphere 3.1 in Over Ear Mode. Nice listen before crashing for the day. Kudos to @hrklg01 for a great pair of cans!:)

DFDD806B-116B-4571-A061-BD9877E83786.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #620 of 1,360
continuing the listening on the MySphere 3.1 off the M9 into the start of the weekend. :)

10535645-F644-4B50-BC8F-478026A341F5.jpeg

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #621 of 1,360
Got my M9 yesterday. Having a play last night and don’t think UAPP is working correctly for me. Got this message as I don’t think it’s bypassing the Android driver (but the message also suggest it might?).

Definitely got a different message on M8 to show it was working.

Anybody know whether the version on Play Store is the most up-to-date version of UAPP? Is there something I need to tweak to get it to find the ‘HiRes audio path’? I’ll contact the email address if not

Attachments

• 1CF22900-E5F5-40F7-8BE3-E38412968B38.jpeg
    1CF22900-E5F5-40F7-8BE3-E38412968B38.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 8, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #622 of 1,360
Spoke to Davy after dropping an email into that UAPP support email address and he’s figured it out (super quick). Sounds like I needed to be part of the beta as M9 has only very recently been added as a supported device.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #623 of 1,360
I've been enjoying my M9 for a few weeks now, but the oddball leather case really has me concerned about transporting the DAP anywhere other than from my desktop to my hands. I rolled the dice on a few travel cases from Amazon based on the internal dimensions and thought I'd share my results with you in case any of you were looking for some travel-friendly options. There are probably other cases out there designed for battery packs or hard drives that might fit, but I hadn't seen anything specific about travel cases or other protection in this thread, I thought I'd share the results of my little experiment. If anyone else has found something that works well, I'd love to hear it!

Electronic accessories case
Similar design to a soft-sided shaving or toiletries kit, this case comes in a 2-pack with a large and small case; the M9 fits perfectly inside the small case. Both inside faces feature a mesh pocket though I don't know as I'd store anything in them as the pockets only go about 3/4 of the way up the side--I could easily see a cable sliding out of the pocket and starting to mar up the leather cover or the plastic screen protector. The pockets also sit flush against the sides so they're not really ideal for storing IEMs and cables IMO because they'll likely just bulge out the sides. Probably good as a "storage pouch," maybe for keeping it on your desk or shelf, and would offer minor protection against a stray set of keys or something like that, but probably wouldn't do well for hard drops or impacts. Not sure if I'm keeping this one, but the fist really is first-rate.

IMG_8360.JPG
IMG_8361.JPG

Hard-sided travel case for power banks and battery packs
This case almost seems like it was made specifically for the M9; the side-to-side and top-to-bottom fit is secure enough that it won't slide around when closed, and the hard-sided construction should provide decent shock or drop protection. The pocket is zippered and appears deep enough to accommodate a charging cable and maybe some IEMs. The problem, at least in my mind, is the zipper pull. I've had bad luck over the years with small zippers or the backs of metal buttons making dents and impressions in leather goods or leaving small dings and scratches in metal or plastic when stored over time. With a DAP this pricey, I'd be livid if the screen or even the oddball Shanling M-case was damaged by a zipper pull from a $15 storage case. My wife suggested a piece of felt or other fabric divider be placed over the bottom section once the DAP is loaded to protect it from the pull...that's not a bad idea; maybe even a folded microfiber cleaning cloth if it was thick enough. I am also toying with the idea with simply removing the zipper entirely; cutting it out but leaving the upper and lower pocket flaps intact...there should still be enough restraint in the design of the pocket flaps to keep any cables or other tchotchkes at bay. The fit for the M9 under the elastic strap is a bit tight, but VERY secure, when it's closed, the DAP isn't going anywhere. The logo on the handle is really obnoxious...Amazon was probably wise to obscure this detail in the product photos! Probably a keeper...

IMG_8359.JPG
IMG_8363.JPG
IMG_8362.JPG

IMG_8358.JPG

Portable hard case for WD drives and battery packs
Another hard-sided case with a more modern carbon-fiber finish which I kind of liked. Good protection from drops and shocks with a deep pocket for cables, IEMs, etc. The pocket itself only extends about 3/4 of the length of the inside cover so again I would be concerned about the ends of a charging cable or IEM plug slowly creeping out and making contact with the leather cover or screen, but a cleaning cloth wadded up near the top of the pocket would probably keep the contents from dribbling out. The only niggle with this case is the lateral play...the M9 is not quite as tall as the case is wide. This makes it MUCH easier to load up and remove from under the elastic retaining band than the other hard-sided case above, but it also means the M9 slides around a bit from side-to-side when the case is closed. Personally, if I'm going to the trouble of traveling with something this pricey, I want the protection to be as complete as possible so I would probably look at finding some foam inserts or something just to keep the DAP more stationary. Personally, I like the design and not having to worry about modding the pocket to protect against the zipper pull, but the lateral play really is substantial, though sadly it's not wide enough to accommodate the little leather socket pouch as well :frowning2:

IMG_8357.JPG
IMG_8364.JPG

IMG_8356.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #624 of 1,360
Tried out the M9 today. It's very good and most of what has been said by others and in reviews is true. But it's all about pairing and I wasn't convinced that it was "better" than my M8 or other players paired with my fav IEMs, Ie. Fitear Titan and Fitear DC Ti. They sounded great off the M9 but for my DC Ti I found that the iFi Diablo is incredible, while Titan sounds amazing with my M8 and DX300 Max. Basically, still on the fence.

Feb 12, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #625 of 1,360
Tried out the M9 today. It's very good and most of what has been said by others and in reviews is true. But it's all about pairing and I wasn't convinced that it was "better" than my M8 or other players paired with my fav IEMs, Ie. Fitear Titan and Fitear DC Ti. They sounded great off the M9 but for my DC Ti I found that the iFi Diablo is incredible, while Titan sounds amazing with my M8 and DX300 Max. Basically, still on the fence.

Yeah… it’s basically dependent on your use case. :)

Feb 12, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #626 of 1,360
My initial experience with the M9 was pretty poor. Tried to update the firmware but the OTA download kept failing. Downloaded the update and did it manually and all seemed to be good but then the unit started freezing. The small screen at the top was also not fully illuminating and was flickering. After numerous reboots and then finding a version of Tidal that worked, it has been rock solid thankfully. That initial experience for a product at this price is not great though.

This is only day 2 in terms of listening so I am not going to make too many statements regarding sound quality just yet but it is a powerful presentation with plenty of air/ space in the soundstage so I can see there being synergy issues with some IEMs and genres, but when it clicks and you find a combination the M9 is superb.

For electronic music, this combination below is better than anything I have heard to date. It is beyond any other DAP I have used paired with the Cayin C9 and that is not something I was expecting so hat's off to Shanling. I wasn't too happy during the initial stages with the M9 but my opinion is quickly changing.....

XM9.jpg

Feb 12, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #628 of 1,360
My initial experience with the M9 was pretty poor. Tried to update the firmware but the OTA download kept failing. Downloaded the update and did it manually and all seemed to be good but then the unit started freezing. The small screen at the top was also not fully illuminating and was flickering. After numerous reboots and then finding a version of Tidal that worked, it has been rock solid thankfully. That initial experience for a product at this price is not great though.

This is only day 2 in terms of listening so I am not going to make too many statements regarding sound quality just yet but it is a powerful presentation with plenty of air/ space in the soundstage so I can see there being synergy issues with some IEMs and genres, but when it clicks and you find a combination the M9 is superb.

For electronic music, this combination below is better than anything I have heard to date. It is beyond any other DAP I have used paired with the Cayin C9 and that is not something I was expecting so hat's off to Shanling. I wasn't too happy during the initial stages with the M9 but my opinion is quickly changing.....

XM9.jpg
Totally agree. It's spacious, wide, deep and powerful. One combo that was very good was with the Softears Turii. But I think the DX 300 Max + Turii edges it by a hair. Overall I like it very much but probably not enough to get rid of any other DAPS just yet. And I already have too many...

Feb 12, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #629 of 1,360
My tidal has stopped working on my M9 😣 can anyone recommend a version that has been stable for them?

Feb 12, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #630 of 1,360
My tidal has stopped working on my M9 😣 can anyone recommend a version that has been stable for them?
In the range 2.52.x worked for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back