Shanling M9 Announced - Flagship High-End Portable Player
Aug 16, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #61 of 1,352
Nah, they already mentioned they will never update the OS. And they probably can’t either due to their old CPU limitation.
My question is why are people so worked up over not being able to update the OS. It's not likely it will have much to any effect on app support. Unlike iOS, many Android apps work with devices that are on Android 5.5 or higher. Android 6.0 at the latest. As able Android app machine, the m8 has a few years left of new updates in apps, and even after, the last update of the app made for the OS will still function as it did up to that point. I have an Andrpid 4.0 phone that still plays back Tidal music, I just wasn't able to get Tudal Masters as that started with Android 5. Other than that, it still works online fine with streaming

Aug 16, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #62 of 1,352
My question is why are people so worked up over not being able to update the OS. It's not likely it will have much to any effect on app support. Unlike iOS, many Android apps work with devices that are on Android 5.5 or higher. Android 6.0 at the latest. As able Android app machine, the m8 has a few years left of new updates in apps, and even after, the last update of the app made for the OS will still function as it did up to that point. I have an Andrpid 4.0 phone that still plays back Tidal music, I just wasn't able to get Tudal Masters as that started with Android 5. Other than that, it still works online fine with streaming

Just off the top of my head, the latest versions of Tidal, Pandora and SiriusXM all require Android versions later than 5/5.1. There are probably others. You might be able to load these apps but you will be using an older version with less features. This list will only get longer and the supported android version later with time. Nougat seems to be pretty safe today, but... for how long?

Not trying to poke the bear here, just saying... :sunglasses:

Aug 16, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #63 of 1,352
Just off the top of my head, the latest versions of Tidal, Pandora and SiriusXM all require Android versions later than 5/5.1. There are probably others. You might be able to load these apps but you will be using an older version with less features. This list will only get longer and the supported android version later with time. Nougat seems to be pretty safe today, but... for how long?

Not trying to poke the bear here, just saying... :sunglasses:
Like I said, it will eventually happen, but this is probably 3yrs or more down the line, and at that point, it will still function exactly how it did before the new update you won't be able to get. It won't make the device unusable with the app, it will just not gain any new functionality. Technically a lot of electronics don't receive updates, they work like they did when you receive them. I'm all for updates, but I don't think it's quite as bad as it's being made out to be.

Aug 16, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #64 of 1,352
Like I said, it will eventually happen, but this is probably 3yrs or more down the line, and at that point, it will still function exactly how it did before the new update you won't be able to get. It won't make the device unusable with the app, it will just not gain any new functionality. Technically a lot of electronics don't receive updates, they work like they did when you receive them. I'm all for updates, but I don't think it's quite as bad as it's being made out to be.

Yeah, I have a A&K SR15 and a Fiio X7ii both of which run Android 5, so I have had to deal with this issue recently. That said, Android 7 didn't keep me from buying a M3X, but it did make me hesitant on big $$$ flagship devices. As you said, I'm all in for updated OS's to help hold off the inevitable obsolescence. There is no such thing as an "end-game" DAP. And I really like my X7ii...

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #65 of 1,352
Yeah, I have a A&K SR15 and a Fiio X7ii both of which run Android 5, so I have had to deal with this issue recently. That said, Android 7 didn't keep me from buying a M3X, but it did make me hesitant on big $$$ flagship devices. As you said, I'm all in for updated OS's to help hold off the inevitable obsolescence. There is no such thing as an "end-game" DAP. And I really like my X7ii...
I understand. I just got an m8 second hand last week, knowing the OS limitations, but undemanding that at its current level its able to do all I really want with the streaming apps I use. Hi-res, MQA, and Playlist, so I don't see it as an issue. Thx for voicing your thoughts.

Aug 16, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #66 of 1,352
I understand. I just got an m8 second hand last week, knowing the OS limitations, but undemanding that at its current level its able to do all I really want with the streaming apps I use. Hi-res, MQA, and Playlist, so I don't see it as an issue. Thx for voicing your thoughts.
It's only really an 'issue' when you're paying top money for a flagship and its competitors are already using more modern platforms, as was the case with the M8 when it was released, and today. Which is why we see the M9 updating to a new platform a year after the M8 was announced. Not very many companies obsolete their flagships after a year. For you and your use case it won't make a difference, but I bet if you were buying new it wouldn't be an M8.

Aug 16, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #67 of 1,352
It's only really an 'issue' when you're paying top money for a flagship and its competitors are already using more modern platforms, as was the case with the M8 when it was released, and today. Which is why we see the M9 updating to a new platform a year after the M8 was announced. Not very many companies obsolete their flagships after a year. For you and your use case it won't make a difference, but I bet if you were buying new it wouldn't be an M8.
Well said, and even if you buy an M8, the discounted msrp should be considerable

Aug 16, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #68 of 1,352
*post deleted*

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #69 of 1,352

The problem is that it hasn’t even been a year since the M8 was released. Seriously rubbish planning from Shanling. And I’m pretty sure I recalled them saying they had no plans for a flagship replacement for the M8 a few months ago…

Aug 16, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #70 of 1,352
The problem is that it hasn’t even been a year since the M8 was released. Seriously rubbish planning from Shanling. And I’m pretty sure I recalled them saying they had no plans for a flagship replacement for the M8 a few months ago…
Ever hear about the fire that destroyed AKM?

In any case, they could have revamped the unit with a pair of excellent, power-efficient ESS DACs and renamed the product M8 MKII instead of M9.

Aug 16, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #71 of 1,352

It's certainly a bit of a Catch22 for the consumer on these things. We all want the latest and greatest, but also for the devices to remain current and supported for a reasonable period of time. The device manufacturers make money by selling devices and as long as we keeping on buying them, they'll keep putting them out with minor changes and different model numbers. How about Hiby and the R5 and R5 Saber ? Same DAC and everything (and no it wasn't a Sabre, note spelling)...

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #72 of 1,352
Ever hear about the fire that destroyed AKM?

In any case, they could have revamped the unit with a pair of excellent, power-efficient ESS DACs and renamed the product M8 MKII instead of M9.

Dude, the fire happened last year while their statement was only a few months ago.

Aug 16, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #73 of 1,352
Dude, the fire happened last year while their statement was only a few months ago.
It took a while for AKM’s supply to reach critical and for them to throw in the towel and declare all their DACs obsolete and discontinued. That declaration happened only just recently.

Aug 19, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #74 of 1,352
Sub'ed, the appeal of a m8 with a bigger screen and modern SoC is compelling :)

Aug 19, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #75 of 1,352
Would be great a M8 trade campaign when M9 is available.
@Shanling do you consider it?
Many people bought it less than 1 years ago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back