Shanling M9 Announced - Flagship High-End Portable Player
Aug 10, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #46 of 1,352
M8 will not be made anymore. But that has no impact on our software support and firmware updates for it.
As we also support original M6 and M6 Pro with new firmware, after they got discontinued and replaced by their 21 version.
Thanks for the clarification, @Shanling. To be fair, I didn't think that would be the case when I read that the M8 itself will no longer be produced. I did not think it would extend to there being no longer support for software/firmware. :)

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #47 of 1,352
That is a pity. But even if not Android 10, perhaps Android 9 then? That would be much appreciated, especially for your current TOTL M8. :)
To be fair this was pretty obvious for anyone who's familiar with Google, Android and the SoC ecosystem. It's the same reason FiiO got stuck on Android 7 with their old SoC, and had to wait until they implemented the Snapdragon 660 to use Android 9/10. Google simply does not allow any company to use Android with Play Store on older SoCs. I made this point early on, when the M8 was initially released, but I guess folks choose to believe what they believe. The fact that Shanling suggested they might update the M8 to Android 9 and got everyone's hopes up...well, that's on them. If you need Android in a DAP for streaming and longevity beyond a year or two, make sure you get a DAP that supports a still-supported and moderately recent Android version. As for the AKM fire, this has nothing to do with the SoC used on the M8, as evidenced by Shanling having enough stock of the 4499 for the M9. Basically the M9 is what the M8 should and easily could have been from a platform perspective in 2020, but that doesn't change the fact the M8 is still a great sounding player and will continue to be a great sounding player even after the M9 is released. If sound is all that matters to you, keep calm and carry on.

Aug 12, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #48 of 1,352
With Android 10 for the new M9 I’m hoping Shanling will also update their 2020 models with at least Android 9…

Yes, this is a major + point. I am hoping battery life has improved too. That steered me away from the M8, just as the more analytical signature kept me away from the Fiio M15. If the M8 had the Fiio battery life, I'd have bought one.

Aug 12, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #49 of 1,352
Yes, this is a major + point. I am hoping battery life has improved too. That steered me away from the M8, just as the more analytical signature kept me away from the Fiio M15. If the M8 had the Fiio battery life, I'd have bought one.

Nah, they already mentioned they will never update the OS. And they probably can’t either due to their old CPU limitation.

Aug 12, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #50 of 1,352
As long as Shanling is able to reproduce the sound signature of the M8 or M30, that would be great. :)

Aug 12, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #52 of 1,352
Oh they will! So sure of it, just take M30 for example !!! Now if the M9 is an improved upon M8, then it would be exciting
Absolutely Vince! I am looking to offload my M11 Plus LTD SS and maybe one of the AK DAPs to make space. As I said, the other DAPs are living dangerously post this announcement 😆

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #53 of 1,352
Absolutely Vince! I am looking to offload my M11 Plus LTD SS and maybe one of the AK DAPs to make space. As I said, the other DAPs are living dangerously post this announcement 😆
M9, LP6, and DX300MAX in your bag should be sufficient for most of us :sweat_smile:

Aug 12, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #54 of 1,352
To be fair this was pretty obvious for anyone who's familiar with Google, Android and the SoC ecosystem. It's the same reason FiiO got stuck on Android 7 with their old SoC, and had to wait until they implemented the Snapdragon 660 to use Android 9/10. Google simply does not allow any company to use Android with Play Store on older SoCs. I made this point early on, when the M8 was initially released, but I guess folks choose to believe what they believe. The fact that Shanling suggested they might update the M8 to Android 9 and got everyone's hopes up...well, that's on them. If you need Android in a DAP for streaming and longevity beyond a year or two, make sure you get a DAP that supports a still-supported and moderately recent Android version. As for the AKM fire, this has nothing to do with the SoC used on the M8, as evidenced by Shanling having enough stock of the 4499 for the M9. Basically the M9 is what the M8 should and easily could have been from a platform perspective in 2020, but that doesn't change the fact the M8 is still a great sounding player and will continue to be a great sounding player even after the M9 is released. If sound is all that matters to you, keep calm and carry on.

Usually the limiting factor for Android updates is driver support from the SOC manufacturer. Google develops Android but not the drivers for the specific hardware. Despite what you might think, the Qualcomm 660 is actually an older SOC than Fiio's Samsung Exynos 7872 (2017 versus 2018) but apparently Qualcomm has released driver updates while Samsung has not. Shanling's Snapdragon 430 was released in 2015 (originally Android 5). Needless to say, none of these would be considered recent or even competitive with recent smartphone chips.

Aug 13, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #55 of 1,352
M9, LP6, and DX300MAX in your bag should be sufficient for most of us :sweat_smile:

Too kind. :) FiiO M11Plus LTD SS and AK SE200 have been sent off. Next to go will be the Cayin N8 and the AK SP1000Cu. Making room…

Aug 13, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #56 of 1,352
Welp, I'm a minimalist so can't really see the point of a 2k amoled screen here. It's an audio player, not intended for multimedia, but maybe these days people want a do-it-all device.
Can't wait for these DAP's to finally let you make phone calls

Aug 13, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #57 of 1,352
Aug 14, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #58 of 1,352
Nah, they already mentioned they will never update the OS. And they probably can’t either due to their old CPU limitation.
I meant for the M9. The battery life kept me away from the M8. Just as the neutrality kept me away from the M15.

Aug 14, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #59 of 1,352
I meant for the M9. The battery life kept me away from the M8. Just as the neutrality kept me away from the M15.
If you want the best battery life, anything running an AKM chipset won’t do.

Aug 15, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #60 of 1,352
Dear Shanling...

Since u have limited ak4499 dac, pls make the 1st ak chip batch as M9 SE or Limited Edition series to make it extra special 😁

When u run out of ak4499 chips, the make the second batch M9 (Not ak chip) as the original or non SE batch.

Coz I don't see much point to buy M9 with the ak4499 chip since i already have M8 with the same chip, not to mention i also have the M6 Pro!! I might as well go for AK SP2000T with much much improved specs and chips 👍

Your very loyal customer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back