Shanling M8 Android Portable player
May 7, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #3,196 of 5,808
Only unfortunate choice from VE is their 2,5mm termination...
Do you guys always change M8 ports in such cases for IEM rolling or just use an adapter?
I changed the cable, standardized on. 4.4.

May 7, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #3,197 of 5,808
Hey, can I ask what you mean by more musicality vs M15? I am considering the m8 to replace the m15. Is the treble by any chance smoother on M8?
Never heard M15 but M8's treble is ultra smooth. I personally love it. Smoother than DX300 Mk1 for reference, whereas R8 has more bite/clarity/energy up top.

Damn your collection has grown! Lol. Falling deep into the rabbit hole now eh?

May 7, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #3,198 of 5,808
May 7, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #3,199 of 5,808
Never heard M15 but M8's treble is ultra smooth. I personally love it. Smoother than DX300 Mk1 for reference, whereas R8 has more bite/clarity/energy up top.

Damn your collection has grown! Lol. Falling deep into the rabbit hole now eh?
Good to know , thanks.

Yes, there's no hope for me , I'm hooked , and I blame it on head-fi and you guys, lol.
But there are worst ways to spend your money I guess.

May 7, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #3,200 of 5,808
May 7, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #3,201 of 5,808
May 7, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #3,202 of 5,808
Oh my, ok that's not what I will get 😎
I got a great price, but still overkill, I think.
Others have way more experience than I do on cables, and great more reasonably priced ones.

I demoed the cable with Ely stock vs this cable in 2.5 and I could hear the improvement in the treble region.

The modules on M8 make taking it for a demo really nice and versatile, other than that do not touch the modules day to day.

May 7, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #3,203 of 5,808
But there are worst ways to spend your money I guess.
Haha, true. You could be this guy (0:30 seconds in) (NSFW)

Looking forward to your M8 comparisons!

May 7, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #3,205 of 5,808
Downloaded KM Player for android to watch video on my commute... you cannot appreciate how beautiful the display is on the M8 till you watch a movie on it!!!

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #3,206 of 5,808
Hey, can I ask what you mean by more musicality vs M15? I am considering the m8 to replace the m15. Is the treble by any chance smoother on M8?
Sorry, but I am not working in this "more treble, less bass, big soundstage etc" way. I can hear the difference, but if it is not completely bad, I pretty much only notice.
But what I really really focus on is the flow of the music. Does sad music make you feel the sadness and happy music the other way round. Can I easily follow the flow of the music or do I have to concentrate. Is the rhythm just catching me and my feet cannot stop. Stuff like that I can compare in a few seconds. In blind tests as well. I call it musicality. Others also use it sometimes. Sometimes I see "more emotions" which might be the same.
So in terms of pure hifi sound qualities (Soundstage, resolution ...) there was nothing wrong with the M15. But in terms of musicality I heard in 10 seconds that the M8 will stay and M15 will go. I gave it some more rounds with (quite) different music and headphones, but it was always the same result. M8 won hands down.
Payed full price for my M15 12 months before. Got around 60% back. Usage of M15 was way easier (be prepared). But I have no regrets having sold it (sorry FiiO).

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #3,207 of 5,808
Sorry, but I am not working in this "more treble, less bass, big soundstage etc" way. I can hear the difference, but if it is not completely bad, I pretty much only notice.
But what I really really focus on is the flow of the music. Does sad music make you feel the sadness and happy music the other way round. Can I easily follow the flow of the music or do I have to concentrate. Is the rhythm just catching me and my feet cannot stop. Stuff like that I can compare in a few seconds. In blind tests as well. I call it musicality. Others also use it sometimes. Sometimes I see "more emoitions" which might be the same.
So in terms of pure hifi sound qualities (Soundstage, resolution ...) there was nothing wrong with the M15. But in terms of musicality I heard in 10 seconds that the M8 will stay and M15 will go. I gave it some more rounds with (quite) different music and headphones, but it was always the same result. M8 won hands down.
Payed full price for my M15 12 months before. Got around 60% back. Usage of M15 was way easier (be prepared). But I have no regrets having sold it (sorry FiiO).
Thanks for this, I get what you are saying . I have no trouble getting lost in the music with the M15, I find it quite musical. But again ,you never know until you hear better. I am exited to get mine and see how it compares .
I use tidal in offline mode most of the time once I download my playlists, so I hope I won't encounter much issues.

May 7, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #3,208 of 5,808
But what I really really focus on is the flow of the music. Does sad music make you feel the sadness and happy music the other way round. Can I easily follow the flow of the music or do I have to concentrate. Is the rhythm just catching me and my feet cannot stop. Stuff like that I can compare in a few seconds. In blind tests as well. I call it musicality. Others also use it sometimes. Sometimes I see "more emotions" which might be the same.

Brilliant post. This is something I've noticed more and more as I get on in this hobby-- when it comes to assessing IEMs, gear etc. I'm much less concerned with breaking everything down into its constituent parts (bass, treble, technicalities etc.) and really only interested in how the overall gestalt (IE., how the sound presents as a unity and how I respond to it internally). Sometimes all the individual aspects seem perfect, but something about the whole seems off, too pedestrian or otherwise unengaging...other times some things seem like they should be dealbreakers but taken in the broad view as whole everything just seems to work. Ultimately only our own ears and sensibilities can be the judge.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #3,209 of 5,808
Just quick Note:

M8 is now available on Drop.com

We are not aware who is source of these M8 and of course they come with no warranty at all. Please shop only at our official dealers (In USA it's only Musicteck and Audio46)

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 8, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #3,210 of 5,808
My RHA CL750 still in original condition. No balanced jack modification so only 3.5mm Unblanced.

I never feel so good while listening to female vocal songs from CL750 due to very high frequency response. But now I can because of the warm sound signature of M8 can tame down that ear bleeding sound quite wonderful. I have to turn on Turbo gain and use a lot of volume to sound loud enough because CL750 has low sensitivity value. I still think, if I change the jack to 2.5mm or 4.4mm with M8 (840mW@32Ohms) , sound should be better.

Attachments

• 1620457456962.png
    1620457456962.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back