Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Apr 2, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #5,551 of 5,824
Not sure... I bought a used one from Musicteck, but it seemed basically in new condition. So I am assuming there are hardly any hours on it.
It could be a burn in issue. My unit hardly ever over heats anymore. Could also be winter temps keeping it cooler when i',m outside with it... :)

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #5,553 of 5,824
You can try putting your M8 on top of a metal surface - such as a laptop.
I can play MQA files for hours this way.
Thanks for the suggestion. Much of my listening is at work, where I have a Macbook which stays closed most of the time (connected to a dock and 2 screens), so the lid will be a perfect place to set the M8 for sessions there.

It could be a burn in issue. My unit hardly ever over heats anymore. Could also be winter temps keeping it cooler when i',m outside with it... :)
I sure hope so! And I'm prepared to wait it out and let it get fully run in before I decide anything. The sound is just so damn good that it's worth it.

As for the sound, this DAP keeps me up late just finding one more album (then another) to listen to and discover new details/ textures, as well as the overall control / authority.

Apr 3, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #5,554 of 5,824
So I may have thought of a fix. I was using it set down flat on the back surface... When I picked it up a while ago it was getting quite warm, so I was expecting a shutdown anytime. But I decided to set it down on its bottom end, so the large surfaces were all exposed in the air. Also, I have a small desk fan off to the side, and it's in front of that while on end. Almost immediately it got cool to the touch, and never did its shutdown. Hopefully this is a fix.

That flat end is good for standing it upright it seems!

c266c56f574a2061c29917e36b013dd2c9b3ffc3.jpg

Apr 4, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #5,555 of 5,824
Might be stating the obvious, M8 is Significantly better than PC as a source. Much cleaner.
PC is not a very good source to transport music.

Apr 4, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #5,556 of 5,824

Exhibition information​

Exhibition Name: The 7th Ear Affair Guangzhou Gathering

Exhibition location: 368rd floor, Garden Hotel Guangzhou, No. 3 Huanshi East Road, Yuexiu District, Guangzhou, Guangdong Province

Exhibition time: April 4-8 (Saturday, Sunday) 9:10-00:18

Exhibit products​

M9 Plus ultra-flagship player

Main configuration: 2*AK4191+4*AK4499EX | Xmos XU316 | 3.5mm single-ended +4.4mm balanced | Snapdragon 665 | 8G+256G Storage | Android 10 system

1680600143473.jpeg

Came across this while poking around on Weibo

Apr 4, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #5,557 of 5,824
I can smell 3200 dol +. If its a child of the M8 and M9 tho, then..
BUT the bar is set extremely high by the RS8, which is best sounding TOTL player on the market right now, with this analog type of sound and 15h of battery time.
There are reports that the RS8 sound is on even higher level than the L&P players.
Shanling will have a very hard time competing in this price range unless they lower the price of the M9 Plus to 2500-2700e.

Apr 4, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #5,558 of 5,824
I can smell 3200 dol +. If its a child of the M8 and M9 tho, then..
BUT the bar is set extremely high by the RS8, which is best sounding TOTL player on the market right now, with this analog type of sound and 15h of battery time.
There are reports that the RS8 sound is on even higher level than the L&P players.
Shanling will have a very hard time competing in this price range unless they lower the price of the M9 Plus to 2500-2700e.
I can confirm about RS8 sound better than some L&P players. Have a chance to A/B'ed better my friend's RS8 and my P6 Pro and RS8 really are on the higher technicalities level than P6 Pro like half level above. But RS8 have proper OS and as fast as mid-tier smartphone plus streaming while LP player are on stone-age OS.

But LP6 still have an edge over RS8 SQ wise tho. But again usability is no compare.

But in the end LP6 Ti still king of portable DAP tho. Dynamic and detail plus all that authority on note weight OMG when you pair it with something like with a lot of hidden potential like The Monarch MKii all those weaker in bass or something people said about them are not there anymore, more like their source are still not good enough for the MMii.

Apr 4, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #5,559 of 5,824
I can confirm about RS8 sound better than some L&P players. Have a chance to A/B'ed better my friend's RS8 and my P6 Pro and RS8 really are on the higher technicalities level than P6 Pro like half level above. But RS8 have proper OS and as fast as mid-tier smartphone plus streaming while LP player are on stone-age OS.

But LP6 still have an edge over RS8 SQ wise tho. But again usability is no compare.

But in the end LP6 Ti still king of portable DAP tho. Dynamic and detail plus all that authority on note weight OMG when you pair it with something like with a lot of hidden potential like The Monarch MKii all those weaker in bass or something people said about them are not there anymore, more like their source are still not good enough for the MMii.
Hah i have exactly same impressions about the MMk2. They sounded very good in lows with daps (great with the M8) but when i plugged them into the Dethonray Pegasus Gold my jaw dropped. The depth, dynamics and authority almost smashed my head. Very often i have an impression that my brain rattles when the bass hits. They need a very dynamic and powerfull in current delivery source to really sing.

Apr 5, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #5,563 of 5,824
Open APK pure, search Google Play Store, download, log in, uninstall APK pure.
Hey RIGATIO I'm not able to install anything from APK pure on mine. Something about it being blocked since its a Russian app. Is there a work around to Install Google Play on the M8? Thanks for answering.
Edit: It wont let me download anything from APK pure. Please Help. Cheers

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #5,564 of 5,824
Hey RIGATIO I'm not able to install anything from APK pure on mine. Something about it being blocked since its a Russian app. Is there a work around to Install Google Play on the M8? Thanks for answering.
Edit: It wont let me download anything from APK pure. Please Help. Cheers
Open APKPURE.com in web browser and download the apk file form there and install it using file browser.

Or if your APKpure app simply shows greyed out install button, that's glitch in the app, use:
System settings - Apps - APKPure - Storage - Clear Data

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 5, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #5,565 of 5,824
Well it's hard to tell which one is better, they are quite different which shouldn't be the case when it comes to a good sources.
The M8 is more transparent, more microdetailed and brighter on top. It doesnt have such visceral bass. The dynamics on the M8 are also more polite.
The Pegasus (but the Gold version as it's 2x more powerful than the standard version) has similar stage but is warmer, more polite in treble and as i mentioned above, it has stronger dynamics and definitely stronger bass depth and punch (it's actually stronger in this department than any other dap ive heard).
It also depends on iems/headphones. For example with Sundaras i get way better performance from the Pegasus. The sound is less forward, less bright, has stronger dynamics and big bold bass which lacked when paired with the M8.
With the Monarch Mk2, it's closer but the M8 isn't as deep and punchy with bass and dynamics and it's also brighter on top. The Monarchs paired with the Pegasus are quite remarkable, i think it's the best I've heard from them so far. I'm quite shocked tbh.
With fully balanced armature set like Symphonium Meteor the difference between all sources i have is quite small, if they are properly driven.
Are you saying that the Pegasus Gold holds it's own against the M8, 500 bucks?
Nobody on this thread owns the Shanling H7 yet? Once we get our house completely renovated and I have my own little space, I'm feeling pretty confident that I must grab one. Curious how it sounds compared to the M8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back