Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Dec 31, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #721 of 5,808
I have just reconfirmed that newer MQA albums are neither unfolding in Android Shanling or Prime Mode. Others are doing fine in unfolding
image.jpgimage.jpg
This one does not work with Mariah album as it is newer
image.jpg
So, many of older MQA album will work in Shanling App only (Offline), Tidal will not work (Yet), and so newer Album MQA need firmware upgrades, which many other devices would do too!!
Shanling is working on it as @Shanling has been saying here. I would just be reasonable and let Shanling do their works
I have over 20,000 albums, not 1 MQA....

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #722 of 5,808
I neither a fan off mqa files, it just happen that when I purchased my music from an artist it was mqa version I didnt know it. So thats why I have some lol only a few.

Here are a few points why I think M8 is better then hiby R8 but as always for different folks different floats lol.

Screen is more vibrant in colors and brightness, volume knob is night and day, swappable jack modules, sounds warmer and more musical, quick charge 3 it does charges way faster then R8, the most important of all it has absolutely no hiss!

Things I like on R8, super fast ui due to snapdragon 660, 10 000mw battery it does last around 12 to 14 hours vs M8 8hours to 9 in balanced both, hiby music app is more advanced and polished, 3 gain settings and a turbo mode that can be enable in any gain selection, the headphone jacks are oriented towards the bottom in my usage this is a better way for me, came with pre applied screen protector.

Both daps are great and pretty close to each other in technical performance, I would even say they are equal just the tuning is different. One is more musical and the other one is more reference like. I like musical and fun so I go for M8.

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #723 of 5,808
I neither a fan off mqa files, it just happen that when I purchased my music from an artist it was mqa version I didnt know it. So thats why I have some lol only a few.

Here are a few points why I think M8 is better then hiby R8 but as always for different folks different floats lol.

Screen is more vibrant in colors and brightness, volume knob is night and day, swappable jack modules, sounds warmer and more musical, quick charge 3 it does charges way faster then R8, the most important of all it has absolutely no hiss!

Things I like on R8, super fast ui due to snapdragon 660, 10 000mw battery it does last around 12 to 14 hours vs M8 8hours to 9 in balanced both, hiby music app is more advanced and polished, 3 gain settings and a turbo mode that can be enable in any gain selection, the headphone jacks are oriented towards the bottom in my usage this is a better way for me, came with pre applied screen protector.

Both daps are great and pretty close to each other in technical performance, I would even say they are equal just the tuning is different. One is more musical and the other one is more reference like. I like musical and fun so I go for M8.
Thank you for this info

regards,
Simon

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #724 of 5,808
I have just reconfirmed that newer MQA albums are neither unfolding in Android Shanling or Prime Mode. Others are doing fine in unfolding
image.jpgimage.jpg
This one does not work with Mariah album as it is newer
image.jpg
So, many of older MQA album will work in Shanling App only (Offline), Tidal will not work (Yet), and so newer Album MQA need firmware upgrades, which many other devices would do too!!
Shanling is working on it as @Shanling has been saying here. I would just be reasonable and let Shanling do their works

Hmmm ypur mqa shows green dot on mine its blue. What does that mean?

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #725 of 5,808
Hmmm ypur mqa shows green dot on mine its blue. What does that mean?
different sample rate. It is green with 44.1 and blue with 44. It goes the same with Bits too, 16 is green and 24 is blue
image.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #726 of 5,808
Relax, yes, this is a flagship DAP and ideally everything works out of the box. But look at others. AK had to send out 3 updates in the first 2 months for the SP2000 due to operational stability issues. Hiby released the R8 without DAC ability (which was then added via Firmware).

We are talking about niche products here (DAP) especially in the TOTL versions. Testing every possible scenario is not possible. If you cannot live with these kinks, then don’t adopt early. Wait a few months until everything has been ironed out.

Tbh I don’t understand some people saying that they can’t use the M8 due to album artwork not working or MQA not fully unfolding (yet). In my opinion this is a grwat device, beating the SP2000, Hiby r8 and SP1000m (for me!!!). and Shanling is listening. I am sure there will be a new firmware update soon.

I purchased this flagship after 4 months on the market to playback my sacD collection without having to convert to dsf files. (I currently have the 1Z) so this is my main use case and unfortunately it’s unusable because of its inability to read the embedded track information and artwork. I am currently running a converter against almost 3 tb of said iso files to convert to dsf. I’ll load 950gb and retest. Artwork is an issue but not a showstopper inability to read tags IS!

Dec 31, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #727 of 5,808
I purchased this flagship after 4 months on the market to playback my sacD collection without having to convert to dsf files. (I currently have the 1Z) so this is my main use case and unfortunately it’s unusable because of its inability to read the embedded track information and artwork. I am currently running a converter against almost 3 tb of said iso files to convert to dsf. I’ll load 950gb and retest. Artwork is an issue but not a showstopper inability to read tags IS!
I can sympathize with @shrekito's situation here. As a user, I expect my expensive purchase to at lease meet my minimum expectation. It is unfortunate that Shanling app is not able to read the ISO tag at this point. As many folks here have indicated and myself included, Shanling is pretty responsive to any concerns regarding their products including their TOTL product M8. The ability to read ISO tag information should be something that Shanling software team can implement and add it to their Shanling app. However, it appears that their software team might be stretching thin here as Shanling is currently in the process of pushing out their new MX3 & M30 DAPs. I can only imagine their software team is working hard to ensure these two new products are meeting their target release schedules. We can only hope that Shanling can manage their software team resource appropriately so that at least they can assign a few software engineers to continue to address the issues reported by users regarding their M8 product.

Dec 31, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #728 of 5,808
M30 will be very interesting like desktop source/amp but I’m so curious about M3x 🤩

Dec 31, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #729 of 5,808
Dec 31, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #730 of 5,808
I just finished some very hard work, renamed all my album art to cover and redone all my playlist renaming paths in the notepad on pc.

Now all my album arts are working and all the playlist also worked. Yeay!

I am experiencing a better sound quality with my sandisk extreme pro sd card some reasons. There is no more pops and cracks. Is that mean my other sd card os corrupted? Strange as those are exactly the same music files hmmmm. The card is sandisk but just an ultra version. And is quiet old too.

Dec 31, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #731 of 5,808
I can sympathize with @shrekito's situation here. As a user, I expect my expensive purchase to at lease meet my minimum expectation. It is unfortunate that Shanling app is not able to read the ISO tag at this point. As many folks here have indicated and myself included, Shanling is pretty responsive to any concerns regarding their products including their TOTL product M8. The ability to read ISO tag information should be something that Shanling software team can implement and add it to their Shanling app. However, it appears that their software team might be stretching thin here as Shanling is currently in the process of pushing out their new MX3 & M30 DAPs. I can only imagine their software team is working hard to ensure these two new products are meeting their target release schedules. We can only hope that Shanling can manage their software team resource appropriately so that at least they can assign a few software engineers to continue to address the issues reported by users regarding their M8 product.
I'm sorry do you own the M8?

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #732 of 5,808
I just finished some very hard work, renamed all my album art to cover and redone all my playlist renaming paths in the notepad on pc.

Now all my album arts are working and all the playlist also worked. Yeay!

I am experiencing a better sound quality with my sandisk extreme pro sd card some reasons. There is no more pops and cracks. Is that mean my other sd card os corrupted? Strange as those are exactly the same music files hmmmm. The card is sandisk but just an ultra version. And is quiet old too.

Oh boy, you tread on dangerous waters my friend. Don't you remember this discussion on the ZX507 thread? :) SD cards, pffft, impossible!

I use that very card on my ZX507 and it did exactly after switching from a Samsung evo plus or something (can't say it was better SQ but it was louder and bassier) but hey, it is supposedly impossible so we are hallucinating between us heretics.

Since you have both, would you be generous enough to provide insight on the comparison of the sound signature? I'm looking for an upgrade with USB DAC, more power, silent noise floor (like the ZX507) with IEMs and a warm and lush sound signature like the ZX507. The M8 seems like an option from what I read.

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #734 of 5,808
Oh boy, you tread on dangerous waters my friend. Don't you remember this discussion on the ZX507 thread? :) SD cards, pffft, impossible!

I use that very card on my ZX507 and it did exactly after switching from a Samsung evo plus or something (can't say it was better SQ but it was louder and bassier) but hey, it is supposedly impossible so we are hallucinating between us heretics.

Since you have both, would you be generous enough to provide insight on the comparison of the sound signature? I'm looking for an upgrade with USB DAC, more power, silent noise floor (like the ZX507) with IEMs and a warm and lush sound signature like the ZX507. The M8 seems like an option from what I read.

Haha I was carefully saying I have better stable performance with extreme pro rather then the ultra version 🙃🙃😛 hahaha. But yea I remember that lol big wars between believers and not. Honestly there is differences nothing to be going crazy about. I still would say the extreme pro has better performance and stability if that's a need 🙃

Yeas I have had many daps and I find M8 your best bet if your after that sexy lush sound signature that we are used to have with sony daps. M8 has more soundstage and room many times over zx507. The small zx507 is amazing dap but its lacking to get to the flagship stage unfortunately. It has awesome timbers and tonalities but soundstage imaging and roominess in expansive sound feel is lacking. Its like all the music is in front of you in a small spherical bulb and m8 is a big dome of music it goes much further.
From my tests I think M8 has a slightly better edge over R8 on that perspective as well.

Cant say vs 1z as I only can rely on memory. Memory tells me 1z had more sparkle in treble and more sub and mid bass. Vocals feels thicker on m8 and treble is weightier and warmer on m8 vs 1z too. Technically they feel similar.

Hope that helps 😛🙃

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #735 of 5,808
Can’t wait till 5th January😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back