Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Aug 15, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #46 of 5,808
Okay Ill take Android 10 lol. Is the 430 sdk locked down, akin to what fiio is dealing with on the exynos chip they prefer? Or is it some other google licensing issue?

It is up to Qualcomm to update the SDK to be compatible with newer version of Android.
But since SD430 is an entry level SoC from 2015 , manufactured in a 28-nm process , don't expect Qualcomm to maintain and update a "low budget" SoC that long ...

That's not how the market works.
Qualcomm makes money by selling SoC , not throught software update ...

There are Snapdragon 430 phones on Android 9

You have the list here : https://www.notebookcheck.net/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-430-SoC-Benchmarks-and-Specs.185278.0.html.

From what i saw and check (a few Huawei , Lenovo ...) , they are all stuck to their out-of-the-box Android version (7/8).
The only one running Android 9 is the Nokia 6 (first gen) , not even Sony update his Xperia R1 to Android 9.

I read somewhere that Shanling cancelled / postponed Android 9 on M6 / M6 Pro , but i'm not sure as i don't find where i saw that.

Anyway , if Shanling didn't update their devices to Android 9 , and Nokia did , i guess Qualcomm didn't update the SD430 SDK , which means Nokia update his device all by themselves.

It's the only explanation i can think of , because it wouldn't make sense that Qualcomm update the 430 SDK and Shanling didn't use this opportunity to update their devices.

... Except if this update bring problems (compatibility / stability / speed / heat ... ) ,but that's another story ...

Aug 15, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #47 of 5,808
Closeup of the interchangeable headphone sockets and case.

005ZNHLNly1ghrjee9tw5j31400u07wj.jpg

005ZNHLNly1ghrjed5s56j31400u0qv7.jpg

Image credit @北樱学园镇守府 weibo

Aug 16, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #49 of 5,808
@TheUnknow : I look up to List of Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 series. The newest one is Snapdragon 460 which its SDK should support up to Android 10. Unfortunately Shanling doesn't decide to use it on M8. In my opinion, 400 series is enough for using in DAP and maintain low power consumption than 600/700/800 series.

Aug 16, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #50 of 5,808
In my opinion, 400 series is enough for using in DAP and maintain low power consumption than 600/700/800 series.

Power consumption depend of fabrication process and software version / optimisation.

A 8nm 600/700/800 series chip running the latest Android version will always outperfom a 28nm 2015 400 series chip ...

... So yeah , even SD460 would have be a better choice (in short term).

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #51 of 5,808
I'm wondering about this too? I think it must mean you can select which model you want, rather than interchange whenever you want, so the advertising copy might be a bit misleading. If it's truly interchangeable though... wow, how does that work?!

M8 uses interchangeable modules, so you can switch between different headphone sockets as you wish or need, always having just the one socket you actually want.

You can see the modules on the photos from the Shanghai show, they simply slide into the body and are locked into place(final version will have spring loaded ball bearing for this). When you want to change module, just take the accompanied tool, which pulls on the edges of the module and you simply pull it out.

Technically it can easily be done. For example, a locking mechanism (push-turn-twist-pull-snap in...etc..) that is recessed into the chassis and headphones sockets can simply be made into modular to accommodate the locking mechanism. The question here is that it is no different than using “Adapter”, then why ?

Reasons why we started this project:

1. Only needing to make space for one bigger module than dealing with 4 separate jacks, making for cleaner look from outside and better layout on PCB.
2. In theory making it more future proof, when somebody decides to add yet another balanced standard (as is now happening with 3.5PRO).
3. Whole design is quite overbuild, so it should be more long term reliable than standard headphone sockets.

And regarding adapters, current trend is to shy away of them, as they always adds some bulk / length and are just not fun to use. That's why so many players are lately trying to fit in as many connectors as possible.

Unless @Shanling can tell us different

Will share more information on availability when we will have more concrete outline.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 18, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #55 of 5,808
The current round of innovations in (upper tier I guess?) DAPs is... Odd. A&K essentially put two DAPs into one chassis. Shanling forgoing several headphone jacks for interchangeable ones.

Also the pace at which Shanling is releasing new (TOTL? I saw some reviews talking about the M6 as Shanling's answer to TOTL players last year, then that repeated with the M6 Pro and now THIS is the Shanling TOTL device?) hardware is impressive, to say the least. Still, as an M6 owner, would be nice if the older devices got gapless playback.

Aug 21, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #56 of 5,808
Introducing Shanling M8
New flagship Android portable player

- Dual AKM AK4499EQ DACs
- Unique system of interchangeable headphone sockets, patent pending
- Available sockets - 3.5mm single ended, 2.5mm & 4.4mm balanced, 3.5 Pro
- Open Android system
- Snapdragon 430, 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM
- Single micro SD card slot

More information coming soon.

M8.jpg
can you tell me the difference between M6 Pro and M8 in terms of sound signature and functionalities? I almost ready to buy and now I want to wait and see
When will M8 be available to purchase in America? Thanks

Aug 22, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #57 of 5,808
can you tell me the difference between M6 Pro and M8 in terms of sound signature and functionalities? I almost ready to buy and now I want to wait and see
When will M8 be available to purchase in America? Thanks

Yes:

2x AKM AK4499EQ vs 2x AKM AK4497EQ
unique system of interchangeable headphone sockets, patent pending vs 3 separate sockets
Open Android system vs Open Android system
Snapdragon 430, 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM vs Snapdragon 430, 4GB RAM, 32GB ROM
Single micro SD card slot vs Single micro SD card slot

So to summarise a step up in the AK DAC range = better sound?, unique interchangeable sockets (looks interesting, I can see other manufacturers following this type of idea) and double the amount of ROM.

That's about all we know at the moment until reviews start coming in.

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #58 of 5,808
Really wondering about the price point.
Am I getting this right, Shanling basically started out with rather lower tiered / priced players and is slowly climbing into TOTL territory?

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #59 of 5,808
Really wondering about the price point.
Am I getting this right, Shanling basically started out with rather lower tiered / priced players and is slowly climbing into TOTL territory?
Every Chinese company is the same strategy starting low and cheap. After recognized brand slowly increasing prices, bringing small upgrade for amazing amounts

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #60 of 5,808
And the sound doesn't always match the advertising. Personally I don't like Asahi Kasei chips and it's so called 'velvet sound'. In my ears sound is less energetic and dull.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back