Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Aug 24, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #5,641 of 5,824
Could you also check on DSD tracks pls, I hear ~1.5s muted offset
My player still shaves the first half second off each track since the fw update.

Aug 25, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #5,643 of 5,824
My player still shaves the first half second off each track since the fw update.
Do you have it too? I'm on an m3x and I have the same bug, a critical, major bug, it's a music player unable to play music properly!!! Looks like Shanling is taking this lightly, 2 weeks after reporting the bug as if it was a display or connection bug...

Aug 27, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #5,644 of 5,824
Do you have it too? I'm on an m3x and I have the same bug, a critical, major bug, it's a music player unable to play music properly!!! Looks like Shanling is taking this lightly, 2 weeks after reporting the bug as if it was a display or connection bug...
It was reported to our software team, that's all our department can do.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 28, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #5,645 of 5,824
Hi,

Thanks to the people who reported that bug.
It really looks to me that Shanling is making fantastic devices when sound and hardware is considered.
But it really is a pity that they cripple all their toys with the most horrible software experience you can imagine...

I have had the EA5 for about 10 days and had to return it because of the really poor software.
Was a major disappointment because the sound that came out of the thing was simply fantastic.

The thing is, sound is so good that I am now tempted to get a used Shanling M8 and I am offered one at a really good price.

I therefor have some simple questions :
- does this bug happen with all music players, or only with the in-house Shanling music player software ? I plan to use this device with UAPP... I can't care less about the Shanling music app as it is about the worst music players I have ever seen (unstable, lacking basinc features like displaying cover when you see the list of available albums, unable to sort albums otherwise than alphabetically when free software can do all this easily..)
- if it happens with all music players, is it possible to downgrade the firmware to an older (from experience, we will have to wait until the end of time to get an update, and I suspect Shanling even does this on purpose, like Apple, to get you to buy a new player from them...) and if I can, is there a download link that you can provide to downgrade ?
- any other reason not to buy it ?

Thanks for your answers.

Aug 28, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #5,646 of 5,824
No track skipping issue with Poweramp, Neutron player or Usb Audio player so far.

I do not have a streaming subscription service anymore so I cannot speak on that.

Aug 28, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #5,647 of 5,824
Hi,

Thanks to the people who reported that bug.
It really looks to me that Shanling is making fantastic devices when sound and hardware is considered.
But it really is a pity that they cripple all their toys with the most horrible software experience you can imagine...

I have had the EA5 for about 10 days and had to return it because of the really poor software.
Was a major disappointment because the sound that came out of the thing was simply fantastic.

The thing is, sound is so good that I am now tempted to get a used Shanling M8 and I am offered one at a really good price.

I therefor have some simple questions :
- does this bug happen with all music players, or only with the in-house Shanling music player software ? I plan to use this device with UAPP... I can't care less about the Shanling music app as it is about the worst music players I have ever seen (unstable, lacking basinc features like displaying cover when you see the list of available albums, unable to sort albums otherwise than alphabetically when free software can do all this easily..)
- if it happens with all music players, is it possible to downgrade the firmware to an older (from experience, we will have to wait until the end of time to get an update, and I suspect Shanling even does this on purpose, like Apple, to get you to buy a new player from them...) and if I can, is there a download link that you can provide to downgrade ?
- any other reason not to buy it ?

Thanks for your answers.
My only issue with the m8 is if you use it with mqa or over sampling and turbo gain, my M8 needs to be lying on a metal heatsink to dissipate the heat or it shuts down.

On low gain and 44.1Hz, it takes about an hour in my pocket before it 'might' over heat and crap down.

The sound overall is fantastic for a DAP.

Aug 28, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #5,648 of 5,824
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the info.
Does this happen with MQA only ? I assume that denotes that deconding MQA files is a heavy process. But for my needs, that is not too important for two reasons : 1°) I don't do MQA ; 2°) MQA is now dead since Tidal dropped it (unless I am confusing with another format).
If it does not happen only with MQA files, then it is a serious issue :frowning2:
Regards.

Aug 28, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #5,650 of 5,824
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the info.
Does this happen with MQA only ? I assume that denotes that deconding MQA files is a heavy process. But for my needs, that is not too important for two reasons : 1°) I don't do MQA ; 2°) MQA is now dead since Tidal dropped it (unless I am confusing with another format).
If it does not happen only with MQA files, then it is a serious issue :frowning2:
Regards.
For my unit the combination of Turbo Gain plus any type of oversampling or DSD requires the m8 to lay on a metal heat sink.

If I am using it as a portable device, then I have to use it on low gain and no over sampling.

I am able to tolerate these quirks as the m8 sounds really good.

Aug 28, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #5,651 of 5,824
For my unit the combination of Turbo Gain plus any type of oversampling or DSD requires the m8 to lay on a metal heat sink.

If I am using it as a portable device, then I have to use it on low gain and no over sampling.

I am able to tolerate these quirks as the m8 sounds really good.
Hi,

Thanks a lot for all this info.
I do not think I will need to use Turbo Gain as I use headphones that can be driven quite esily (Oppo PM-1 and Sony MDR-Z1).
So far I have the really less powerful M6 Pro and if I hook those up in Balanced mode, and "High gain" I do not have to turn volume above 40% to get more than decent sound pressure.
So I guess I'll probably only run into that problem if I use the Dan Clark Aeon Closed speaker...

Regards.

FRED

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #5,652 of 5,824
My M8 gets noticeably hot with a 4.4mm socket, recently I switched to an unbalanced 3.5mm and the M8 stopped getting warm at all, it's cold. And it works in Turbo gain mode

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #5,653 of 5,824
My M8 gets noticeably hot with a 4.4mm socket, recently I switched to an unbalanced 3.5mm and the M8 stopped getting warm at all, it's cold. And it works in Turbo gain mode
Hi,

Just got the M8 Player used. Like new with it's wooden box and all the plugs of course.

I will tryto use the 3.5mm plug and tthen the 4.4mm plug.

I'll compare both plugs about heat. But indeed I expect the 4.4mm to be slightly hotter than the 3.5mm.

I'll report here later.

Aug 28, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #5,654 of 5,824
Hi,

No duplicate post, but would like to report on first impressions of listening.
The device is a Shanling M8 that I bought second hand. It is like brand new with it's wooden box. And I got a leather case from Shanling as a bonus :)
Paid about less than half the price for a new unit in it's time... which I think was about 1600€.

About hardware : the device seems to be built like a tank.
It looks like it is virtually undestrictible.Wouldn't give to my daughters though, as they litterally are able to break the undestructible !
I installed the Google Play Store from APK Pure. And so could install UAPP and it's paid add-ons.
I hooked it up to my home network.
And started to listen to the new toy :wink:

The listening session so far was made on the M8 with Sony MDR-Z1R headphones.
The Music App used was USB Android Player Pro (aka UAPP).
The Music app has a paid add-on called Morph-It. That add-on was set for the Sony MDFR-Z1 profile and target was Generic Harman Curve for Over ear phones.

The socket used was one for 4.4mm. I used a 3.5mm cable with an adapter from iFi which works quite good.

First thing I was surprised at the volume, in High Gain.
I already have the Shanling M6 Pro which is supposed to be less powerful.
On the M6 Pro I set the volume to 33/100.
On the more powerful M8 I had to set volume to about 50/100 to get the desired sound pressure.
Maybe the used scale is different, but that is a little perplexing...

Second thing : I listend to tracks streamed from Qobuz with Wi-Fi connection.
Right now I am listening to "Flow", the latest album by a band called "Slow Rolling Camera" that I discovered recently.
Sound is exactly what is described by reviewers : it is possibly not the most "transparently linear" sound.
It is somewhat "warm"... but that manages to have a combination of "precision", "soundstage" and "musicality" that is quite uncommon.
In other words, it seems that music listening with this device is a really joyful experience !

So far, really nice experience...

If people are interested I'll post a more detailed description of my experience later.

Aug 28, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #5,655 of 5,824
Hi,

No duplicate post, but would like to report on first impressions of listening.
The device is a Shanling M8 that I bought second hand. It is like brand new with it's wooden box. And I got a leather case from Shanling as a bonus :)
Paid about less than half the price for a new unit in it's time... which I think was about 1600€.

About hardware : the device seems to be built like a tank.
It looks like it is virtually undestrictible.Wouldn't give to my daughters though, as they litterally are able to break the undestructible !
I installed the Google Play Store from APK Pure. And so could install UAPP and it's paid add-ons.
I hooked it up to my home network.
And started to listen to the new toy :wink:

The listening session so far was made on the M8 with Sony MDR-Z1R headphones.
The Music App used was USB Android Player Pro (aka UAPP).
The Music app has a paid add-on called Morph-It. That add-on was set for the Sony MDFR-Z1 profile and target was Generic Harman Curve for Over ear phones.

The socket used was one for 4.4mm. I used a 3.5mm cable with an adapter from iFi which works quite good.

First thing I was surprised at the volume, in High Gain.
I already have the Shanling M6 Pro which is supposed to be less powerful.
On the M6 Pro I set the volume to 33/100.
On the more powerful M8 I had to set volume to about 50/100 to get the desired sound pressure.
Maybe the used scale is different, but that is a little perplexing...

Second thing : I listend to tracks streamed from Qobuz with Wi-Fi connection.
Right now I am listening to "Flow", the latest album by a band called "Slow Rolling Camera" that I discovered recently.
Sound is exactly what is described by reviewers : it is possibly not the most "transparently linear" sound.
It is somewhat "warm"... but that manages to have a combination of "precision", "soundstage" and "musicality" that is quite uncommon.
In other words, it seems that music listening with this device is a really joyful experience !

So far, really nice experience...

If people are interested I'll post a more detailed description of my experience later.
I also have the M8 and M6 Pro (original). I have to turn up the volume louder on the M8 to achieve my desired listening level with all of my headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back