Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Dec 2, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #4,816 of 5,809
@Shanling Can u please share , post the stock , the complete firmware of the m8 ? With recovery.img , boot.img the complete firmware everything ? Not update . Stock firmware. Or at least share Qualcomm emmc Firehose programmer file ?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #4,817 of 5,809
@Shanling Can u please share , post the stock , the complete firmware of the m8 ? With recovery.img , boot.img the complete firmware everything ? Not update . Stock firmware. Or at least share Qualcomm emmc Firehose programmer file ?
Can try to ask software team, we do not have this standardly available.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 3, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #4,818 of 5,809
i have a question regarding a proper M8 case, again.

does the dd hifi c2021g have place for the socket leather etui? it seems to be not or might get very tight.

i just want to have a tight hard shell case form the outside, with enough protection from the inside for the m8 + the socket leather etui + fiio fh7 etui - that's it :)

so far, i was not successful with my search.

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #4,819 of 5,809
so i used m m8 around 5 hours today, firmware 1.5 (newest).
apps: tidal, qobuz, uapp
result: absolutely no problems at all... i just relaxed and enjoyed a wonderful day with my empyrean and fiio fh7. what a great player.
of course, i may need an additional 50 hours to realize that i don't like this and that nitty-gritty things.
however, for the first handful of hours... i am very impressed and more than happy with it.

----------

but i would have 1 question already now:
fiio uses high and low gain + in ear and over ear mode
shanling hasn't this separation, only 3 different gains:
3 gains in balanced mode:
  • Low Gain: 71mw@32Ω
  • High Gain:184mW@32Ω
  • Turbo Gain: 840mW@32Ω

what is the right mode for my 1) meze empyrean and 2) Fiio fh7
how can i "calculate" the right mode? i was not able to find a "right" solution.
so to be on the sure side, i left ot low on the fiio fh7 iem and on high gain for the meze empyrean. but i read somewhere that the meze empyrean would actually welcome the turbo gain.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #4,820 of 5,809
so i used m m8 around 5 hours today, firmware 1.5 (newest).

apps: tidal, qobuz, uapp

result: absolutely no problems at all... i just relaxed and enjoyed a wonderful day with my empyrean and fiio fh7. what a great player.

of course, i may need an additional 50 hours to realize that i don't like this and that nitty-gritty things.

however, for the first handful of hours... i am very impressed and more than happy with it.
As the sound settles in it will just get better...I've had mine for a year now, use it every day and love it now more than ever!

Dec 4, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #4,822 of 5,809
Sounds good to me, no need to switch.
thank you.

for the iem: low = good volume level at 50%
for over ear: high = need to make 80-85% to achieve what fiio m15 makes with about 50% (over ear mode) --> i need the turbo mode to achieve the same level of volume as with the m15.

Dec 4, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #4,823 of 5,809
thank you.

for the iem: low = good volume level at 50%
for over ear: high = need to make 80-85% to achieve what fiio m15 makes with about 50% (over ear mode) --> i need the turbo mode to achieve the same level of volume as with the m15.
For me the best gain level is the one that makes my life easiest when scrolling the volume wheel.

So if you find you need >80% on high gain then no harm in switching to turbo gain.

As for how to calculate the suitable level, to my best understanding:
  1. Empyrean has an impedance of 32Ω so we can directly use the power output provided by Shanling
  2. A typical peak in SPL in a live performance is 120dB.
  3. Empyrean's sensitivity is around 100dB/mW.
  4. Combining point 2&3 means 100mW is required (+20dB means a factor of 100).
  5. Volume control is logarithmic (see https://eepower.com/resistor-guide/resistor-types/potentiometer-taper/) so 80% volume means ~55% of max power. The max power at the high gain is 184mW, so 80% volume means it's using 55% of 184mW which is roughly 100mW, verifying the calculation in step 4.

Dec 4, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #4,824 of 5,809
For me the best gain level is the one that makes my life easiest when scrolling the volume wheel.

So if you find you need >80% on high gain then no harm in switching to turbo gain.

As for how to calculate the suitable level, to my best understanding:
  1. Empyrean has an impedance of 32Ω so we can directly use the power output provided by Shanling
  2. A typical peak in SPL in a live performance is 120dB.
  3. Empyrean's sensitivity is around 100dB/mW.
  4. Combining point 2&3 means 100mW is required (+20dB means a factor of 100).
  5. Volume control is logarithmic (see https://eepower.com/resistor-guide/resistor-types/potentiometer-taper/) so 80% volume means ~55% of max power. The max power at the high gain is 184mW, so 80% volume means it's using 55% of 184mW which is roughly 100mW, verifying the calculation in step 4.
wow, ok, i searched so much but didn't find any description / solution as tight and on point as yours here :)

thank you for that. i will read about it. i just did not want to damage my iem or over ear by using the turbo mode. even if the volume is very low...i thought maybe the basic level of power (even in volume level 1%) is already too extreme and too high.

again, i am learning and reading a lot about it, but as you may guess, i have gaps in knowledge yet. however, i am getting there :) - thank you, again!

Dec 4, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #4,825 of 5,809
wow, ok, i searched so much but didn't find any description / solution as tight and on point as yours here :)

thank you for that. i will read about it. i just did not want to damage my iem or over ear by using the turbo mode. even if the volume is very low...i thought maybe the basic level of power (even in volume level 1%) is already too extreme and too high.

again, i am learning and reading a lot about it, but as you may guess, i have gaps in knowledge yet. however, i am getting there :) - thank you, again!
You are welcome :wink: I'm still learning a lot of the technical aspects as well so I might not be accurate here and there, but I try my best to answer based on my limited knowledge.

Simple rule is: power is directly related to loudness, not gain level. So even at different gains, if you adjust the volume so loudness sound the same, you are using the same power to drive the headphone. Different gains just provide different max power (at max volume). Rest assured turbo gain won't damage your headphones and your hearing if you lower the volume accordingly.

Dec 4, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #4,826 of 5,809
You are welcome :wink: I'm still learning a lot of the technical aspects as well so I might not be accurate here and there, but I try my best to answer based on my limited knowledge.

Simple rule is: power is directly related to loudness, not gain level. So even at different gains, if you adjust the volume so loudness sound the same, you are using the same power to drive the headphone. Different gains just provide different max power (at max volume). Rest assured turbo gain won't damage your headphones and your hearing if you lower the volume accordingly.
this helps me a lot

so i can be in turbo mode, but i should take care about the max input power of the iem. to recap:

M8

Fiio FH7
  • Impedance: 16Ω(@1kHz)
  • Sensitivity: 111dB/mW
  • Maximum Input Power: 100mW

so low gain seems be enough here as you said before.

however,
1) what changes in the overall calculation based on 16 ohm, and not the 32 ohm and
2) when i use the fiio balanced cable, do i get more than 16 ohm in this case or what changes in the facts above, beyond the better sound.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #4,827 of 5,809
this helps me a lot

so i can be in turbo mode, but i should take care about the max input power of the iem. to recap:

M8

Fiio FH7
  • Impedance: 16Ω(@1kHz)
  • Sensitivity: 111dB/mW
  • Maximum Input Power: 100mW

so low gain seems be enough here as you said before.

however,
1) what changes in the overall calculation based on 16 ohm, and not the 32 ohm and
2) when i use the fiio balanced cable, to i get more than 16 ohm in this case or what changes in the facts above, beyond the better sound.
For different impedance the power output is different, whether it increases or decreases with respect to the specification depends on whether the amp is current or voltage limited, so not easy to say based on limited data. We could only do the calculation for Empyrean because its impedance is exactly at Shanling's spec. However this only becomes a concern when talking about extremely inefficient headphones that can easily max out the power. For FH7 which is well within the limit, just multiply the power at low and high gain by a factor of 2.

Balanced connection can provide 2x voltage, hence 4x power of single-ended connection. If you look at M8's single ended output on low gain it's 18mW, so 1/4 of balanced.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #4,829 of 5,809
Question from someone considering buying the M8 in a few hours.

How is it with Tidal?

How is it with Qobuz?
Hey Sajid! I only have Tidal on my M8. No real issues for me. However, there have been others who complain that they miss the first 3 seconds of each song. As with the AK DAPs, the implementation of Tidal and Qobuz seems to suffer from issues for some users.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back