Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Sep 21, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #4,546 of 5,808
My Short Take on Shanling M8:

This DAP is for people who belong to:

1. Bassheads. This is basshead’s endgame DAP. Period. And this M8+IER Z1R combo sounds wonderful 👌👌👌.

2. You like musical sound signature? This is THE King of such DAPs! Extremely addictive, so musical, it’s the right poison to get lost in music. I wanted to have a one hour late night session, but ended up with a 6-hour marathon!

And this DAP isn’t for those who look for dead flat/neutral sound signature. But, I don’t care for neutrality when I am getting a supremely addictive player.

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #4,547 of 5,808
I wanted to have a one hour late night session, but ended up with a 6-hour marathon!
+1 not getting enough sleep any more ... but more energy for the next day! :wink:

Sep 21, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #4,548 of 5,808
My Short Take on Shanling M8:

This DAP is for people who belong to:

1. Bassheads. This is basshead’s endgame DAP. Period. And this M8+IER Z1R combo sounds wonderful 👌👌👌.

2. You like musical sound signature? This is THE King of such DAPs! Extremely addictive, so musical, it’s the right poison to get lost in music. I wanted to have a one hour late night session, but ended up with a 6-hour marathon!

And this DAP isn’t for those who look for dead flat/neutral sound signature. But, I don’t care for neutrality when I am getting a supremely addictive player.
Knowing M9 will be released soon and assuming it will perform equally well or better than M8, I don't see many people investing in M8 now.

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #4,549 of 5,808
I use my M8 exclusively for streaming. I can’t say that there is anything of note for me.

One thing you should note, though, that even AK DAPs seem to face challenges with wifi etc. I recall that seems to be a common complaint in the Kann Alpha thread. Though for myself I don’t have much issues with wifi.
Hi Bro,

what is your opinion M8 vs DX300 ? Any suggestion to pair with Ether C Flow ?

Thank you

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #4,550 of 5,808
Knowing M9 will be released soon and assuming it will perform equally well or better than M8, I don't see many people investing in M8 now.
They may also want the AKM 99 chip tho, while its available...

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #4,551 of 5,808
Big thanks to Shanling for turning around my warranty repair and full replacement of my beloved M8!!! I can't wait to try it with my new Rhapsodio Bomber!!!

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #4,553 of 5,808
I haven't heard yet, I'll ask it gets here, they are replacing the unit, so it must have been major.

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #4,554 of 5,808
Am interested in either the M6 or M8.

Do they both support Tidal offline?
Is the M8 a notable step up from the M6?
Someone earlier said that the M8 is a DAP for bassheads, which to me is very appealing. Can the same be said of the M6?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #4,555 of 5,808
M8 in Prime Mode sounds cleaner and more crisp than Android Mode a lot..(effortlessly noticeable) so sad that I want to use streaming apps but in Prime Mode you cannot. If Shanling can set the sound in Prime Mode and Android Mode equally that would be superb.

Updated: I found the reason. EQ in Shanling app in Prime Mode set to Gentle which will increase the clarity not because the two modes are much different, nope 😆

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #4,556 of 5,808
Yes. Please keep us posted. Will be valuable lesson for all of us.

So after roughly two months door to door, I received my repaired M8. Strangely enough, with a new (and poorly applied, dust-ridden) screen protector. Although I asked three times for details on the diagnosis and repair, all I received from HiFiGo was the following:

"1. if you want the screen protector, you can check in here: https://hifigo.com/products/screen-protector?variant=39996357443758

2. they has repaired the volume part in M8"

So, sorry. The mystery remains. At least I have my spectacular DAP back :)

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #4,557 of 5,808
So after roughly two months door to door, I received my repaired M8. Strangely enough, with a new (and poorly applied, dust-ridden) screen protector. Although I asked three times for details on the diagnosis and repair, all I received from HiFiGo was the following:

"1. if you want the screen protector, you can check in here: https://hifigo.com/products/screen-protector?variant=39996357443758

2. they has repaired the volume part in M8"

So, sorry. The mystery remains. At least I have my spectacular DAP back :)
Wow that is a little ways too long , considering that new DAP is released once every 10 months

But I am happy you got it working again

Sep 24, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #4,558 of 5,808
Does anyone know how to improve reliability with UAPP and upnp on this device? I have the M8 connected to my DAC and I like the idea of controlling UAPP from my phone (using BubbleUpnp on Android), but the connection always drops after 1 or 2 songs. I've already set UAPP to not be optimized for battery usage.

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #4,559 of 5,808
That's not exactly correct.

We definitely want to implement gapless, but so far software team was unable to make it work.

Our players(All from M0 to M8) can be used as digital transports for compatible USB DACs. And when you combine that with DLNA/Airplay, you get something they call wireless transport, I guess.
@Shanling - Having ceased production of the M8, I wonder if you could give us some insight into firmware and software plans? It sounds like we should not expect gapless playback, but what about known flaws like the inability to correctly sort alphabetically? With a TB of stored music, this remains a pain in the neck...

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #4,560 of 5,808
I know it sounds crazy but actually I am enjoying this combo more out of the non-true M8-LO than out of M30's true LO XLR-OUTPUTS.

M8-> Ferrum OOR powered by Ferrum HYPSOS -> Hifiman Susvara

M8s smooth musical tonality with the right mid bass thump and body which Susvara needs with good stage and forgiving upper mids.

Struggling to get this great synergy with M30's XLR out in all honesty currently.
M30 tube mode is getting closer to the M8 presentation but lacking the resolution and spice of M8.
The pass through mode and Transistor mode are often too harsh and unforgiving and missing the above described smoothing M8 presentation.

And after I was about to sell M8 I am now thinking twice about it...

@aaf evo this experience is giving me some thoughts about TOTL DAPs being no 2nd choices vs desktop DACs for such pairings necessarily. I assume your DX300 Max would also sound great plus having a true LO...

Attachments

• 266815CA-330D-4BBA-A002-7B98B2080CA2.jpeg
    266815CA-330D-4BBA-A002-7B98B2080CA2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back