Shanling M6 Ultra - 4x AKM AK4493S DAC, Snapdragon 665, Android 10 DAP
Aug 10, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #76 of 873
I can’t see anywhere that they even make one (yet)
resize_M6u_case.jpg

Aug 10, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #77 of 873
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 11, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #82 of 873
Aug 12, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #84 of 873
Pardon the picture quality, but the green matches our shelves. Love the green. M3X for size comparison.

Not a regular reviewer, don’t put too much faith in my ramblings. Have only been able to listen for 4 hours, but so far I’m very happy. Bass is full, textured and well defined. Just the right amount of speed and punch for me. Plenty of warm mids. There’s an excellent amount of detail, but it doesn’t demand your attention. Soundstage is quite big, more depth than width. Imaging and separation are great too. Lots of musicality. An hour session ended turning into 4. Plenty of power for me. It got warm, but not hot. I could see some folks who like more treble focus, less warmth or lean bass being a little turned off. I bet it opens up top with burn in. I’ll give a short impression of the sets i tried. Listened with Amazon music and Apple Music (lossless and hi res). Setup was easy and smooth.

Penon Serial: surprisingly my favorite pairing. I thought it would be too much warmth and lushness, but somehow it gets even better. Led Zeppelin in particular sounds great. The drums are large and crisp on The Ocean. The bass line on d’yer mak’er is big and full. Bass and guitars have just the right amount of bite. Vocals are still great (a bit forward).

Softears RSV: adds some warmth and low end emphasis. Still well balanced, but adds a little bit of punch and impact. I’m a sucker for DD bass, and this gets a little closer. Tons of detail and an expansive soundstage.

Letshuoer EJ07m: bass is still excellent, but mid bass seems a hair more elevated which I like. Bass feels less separated from mids. Plenty of detail, but avoids harshness. Huge soundstage, good imaging.

Mangird Tea (OG): this set is finicky and is tip and source dependent for me. The m6 ultra adds low end and warmth. Better punch, more warmth/weight. The tea can be nasally and hollow, and the m6 ultra is a good match. Soundstage is big.

Fiio x crinicle FHE eclipse: low end is okay, sometimes too much. Soundstage is a decent size. It doesn’t sound bad, but the FHE sounds a little better on the m3x.

Attachments

• C0269F33-D539-4655-BBBC-048641F5AC46.jpeg
    C0269F33-D539-4655-BBBC-048641F5AC46.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 477E10E2-E14E-447D-B637-39525E03B2DD.jpeg
    477E10E2-E14E-447D-B637-39525E03B2DD.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #85 of 873
Pardon the picture quality, but the green matches our shelves. Love the green. M3X for size comparison.

Not a professional reviewer, don’t put too much faith in my ramblings. Have only been able to listen for 4 hours, but so far I’m very happy. Bass is full, textured and well defined. Just the right amount of speed and punch for me. Plenty of warm mids. There’s an excellent amount of detail, but it doesn’t demand your attention. Soundstage is quite big, more depth than width. Imaging and separation are great too. Lots of musicality. An hour session ended turning into 4. Plenty of power for me. It got warm, but not hot. I could see some folks who like more treble focus, less warmth or lean bass being a little turned off. I bet it opens up top with burn in. I’ll give a short impression of the sets i tried. Listened with Amazon music and Apple Music (lossless and hi res). Setup was easy and

Penon Serial: surprisingly my favorite pairing. I thought it would be too much warmth and lushness, but somehow it gets even better. Led Zeppelin in particular sounds great. The drums are large and crisp on The Ocean. The bass line on d’yer mak’er is big and full. Bass and guitars have just the right amount of bite. Vocals are still great (a bit forward).

Softears RSV: adds some warmth and low end emphasis. Still well balanced, but adds a little bit of punch and impact. I’m a sucker for DD bass, and this gets a little closer. Tons of detail and an expansive soundstage.

Letshuoer EJ07m: bass is still excellent, but mid bass seems a hair more elevated which I like. Bass feels less separated from mids. Plenty of detail, but avoids harshness. Huge soundstage, good imaging.

Mangird Tea (OG): this set is finicky and is tip and source dependent for me. The m6 ultra adds low end and warmth. Better punch, more warmth/weight. The tea can be nasally and hollow, and the m6 ultra is a good match. Soundstage is big.

Fiio x crinicle FHE eclipse: low end is okay, sometimes too much. Soundstage is a decent size. It doesn’t sound bad, but the FHE sounds a little better on the m3x.
Hey this is fantastic, good work! When you are THE FIRST to review an item publicly, you get extra grace but this is a really good review! If you by chance have another DAP to compare the M6U with A/B with the same IEM/tips/cable for a couple of songs that would complete the picture (if the M3x is what you have it will do)- but this is very encouraging and sounds like just the kind of DAP a lot of us are looking for- warm tilt, great bass and mids detail, great soundstage and smooth but not sharp treble (the last 2 are not often found together).

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #86 of 873

Not a regular reviewer, don’t put too much faith in my ramblings. Have only been able to listen for 4 hours, but so far I’m very happy. Bass is full, textured and well defined. Just the right amount of speed and punch for me. Plenty of warm mids. There’s an excellent amount of detail, but it doesn’t demand your attention. Soundstage is quite big, more depth than width. Imaging and separation are great too. Lots of musicality. An hour session ended turning into 4. Plenty of power for me. It got warm, but not hot. I could see some folks who like more treble focus, less warmth or lean bass being a little turned off. I bet it opens up top with burn in. I’ll give a short impression of the sets i tried. Listened with Amazon music and Apple Music (lossless and hi res). Setup was easy and

Excellent review. Haven't had a chance to open mine yet. Too much work to do. :sweat:

Aug 12, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #87 of 873

Not a regular reviewer, don’t put too much faith in my ramblings. Have only been able to listen for 4 hours, but so far I’m very happy. Bass is full, textured and well defined. Just the right amount of speed and punch for me. Plenty of warm mids. There’s an excellent amount of detail, but it doesn’t demand your attention. Soundstage is quite big, more depth than width. Imaging and separation are great too. Lots of musicality. An hour session ended turning into 4. Plenty of power for me. It got warm, but not hot. I could see some folks who like more treble focus, less warmth or lean bass being a little turned off. I bet it opens up top with burn in. I’ll give a short impression of the sets i tried. Listened with Amazon music and Apple Music (lossless and hi res). Setup was easy and

Well done. For those who prrf the brighter sound, the M6 Pro 2nd generation could be a good fit, but this tuning with the AKM chips is more my cup of tea. Sounds similar to the original M6 Pro. On the bottom of your pictured dap, showing Dyer Maker, what is X Ray?

Aug 12, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #88 of 873
Well done. For those who prrf the brighter sound, the M6 Pro 2nd generation could be a good fit, but this tuning with the AKM chips is more my cup of tea. Sounds similar to the original M6 Pro. On the bottom of your pictured dap, showing Dyer Maker, what is X Ray?

Thanks!

That’s Amazon music. If you click on the arrow below you can see details about the song/album

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #89 of 873
Hey this is fantastic, good work! When you are THE FIRST to review an item publicly, you get extra grace but this is a really good review! If you by chance have another DAP to compare the M6U with A/B with the same IEM/tips/cable for a couple of songs that would complete the picture (if the M3x is what you have it will do)- but this is very encouraging and sounds like just the kind of DAP a lot of us are looking for- warm tilt, great bass and mids detail, great soundstage and smooth but not sharp treble (the last 2 are not often found together).

Unfortunately the m3x is the only other dap I have. The m3x has grown on me, but it’s not on the same level. Less warmth, less extension, less detail, and less engaging. More of a neutral tuning. Still I like it.

I can compare my home setup and a few dongles. My dongle of choice is the questyle m15. It can’t compete with the m6 ultra on power. It has good treble sparkle without being sibilant or harsh. Great vocal reproduction. Bass is good. The m6u is a warmer tuning, but still has more detail. I prefer the bass and mids too. The m6u bass is full, but the layering, and detail is still there. It doesn’t feel bloated at all to me (except on the FHE sometimes). The m6u does have that analog feel to me.

At home I’ve had the denafrips ares ii for a while. Right now I have it paired with a kaei tap-1s. That setup has a similar tuning to the m6u, but pulls ahead on detail, and speed. Not by a ton though. Surprisingly I think the soundstages are comparable. Bass is a bit of draw I’d say. Both very engaging. It might be new gear bias, but I might prefer the Serial, and Tea on the m6u. Ej07m and RSV are a draw.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #90 of 873
have you tried any full-sized headphones on the M6 Ultra. also, what EQ features does it have. anything interesting like the MSEB of the Hiby players or just the standard rock, classics, dance, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back