Shanling M6 Ultra - 4x AKM AK4493S DAC, Snapdragon 665, Android 10 DAP
Aug 12, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #91 of 873
I'd love to hear more on how the M6 Ultra sounds. What's the sonic profile? Warm? Neutral? Reference? Bright?

Aug 12, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #92 of 873
I'd love to hear more on how the M6 Ultra sounds. What's the sonic profile? Warm? Neutral? Reference? Bright?
Pls see post #84 above. No doubt there will be future formal reviews, links for which will likely be posted in future on this thread.

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #93 of 873
I ordered mine from hifi go, they have cases , so i ordered a green one for 36 bucks. They have a 2 week delivery time when you order postal like i did. I get alot of my stuff from hifi go they are great. i got my Shangling m6 pro and m6 pro 2021 both from musicteck they get it to you in 3 days but didn't have any cases. both musicteck and hifi go have it for 919.00 can't wait to listen to it..

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #94 of 873
I ordered mine from hifi go, they have cases , so i ordered a green one for 36 bucks. They have a 2 week delivery time when you order postal like i did. I get alot of my stuff from hifi go they are great. i got my Shangling m6 pro and m6 pro 2021 both from musicteck they get it to you in 3 days but didn't have any cases. both musicteck and hifi go have it for 919.00 can't wait to listen to it..
Seem you’re Shanling fan

Aug 13, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #95 of 873
@Shanling

I found a bug. The M6 Ultra WiFi download speed is extremely slow and won't go past 6 Mbps. :sob:Yet upload speed is normal at 17 Mbps. :astonished:

The software details say build 1.15.

I've tried a full reset and everything in between. I must say the UI is fast and the touchscreen is very responsive. Nice.

Only 3000 tidal song downloads to go.....waiting.

I ran tests against my OG Fiio M11 and Hiby R5 Saber. All are just 12 inches away from the router.

20220812_160928.jpg

Aug 13, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #96 of 873
Pardon the picture quality, but the green matches our shelves. Love the green. M3X for size comparison.

Not a regular reviewer, don’t put too much faith in my ramblings. Have only been able to listen for 4 hours, but so far I’m very happy. Bass is full, textured and well defined. Just the right amount of speed and punch for me. Plenty of warm mids. There’s an excellent amount of detail, but it doesn’t demand your attention. Soundstage is quite big, more depth than width. Imaging and separation are great too. Lots of musicality. An hour session ended turning into 4. Plenty of power for me. It got warm, but not hot. I could see some folks who like more treble focus, less warmth or lean bass being a little turned off. I bet it opens up top with burn in. I’ll give a short impression of the sets i tried. Listened with Amazon music and Apple Music (lossless and hi res). Setup was easy and smooth.

Penon Serial: surprisingly my favorite pairing. I thought it would be too much warmth and lushness, but somehow it gets even better. Led Zeppelin in particular sounds great. The drums are large and crisp on The Ocean. The bass line on d’yer mak’er is big and full. Bass and guitars have just the right amount of bite. Vocals are still great (a bit forward).

Softears RSV: adds some warmth and low end emphasis. Still well balanced, but adds a little bit of punch and impact. I’m a sucker for DD bass, and this gets a little closer. Tons of detail and an expansive soundstage.

Letshuoer EJ07m: bass is still excellent, but mid bass seems a hair more elevated which I like. Bass feels less separated from mids. Plenty of detail, but avoids harshness. Huge soundstage, good imaging.

Mangird Tea (OG): this set is finicky and is tip and source dependent for me. The m6 ultra adds low end and warmth. Better punch, more warmth/weight. The tea can be nasally and hollow, and the m6 ultra is a good match. Soundstage is big.

Fiio x crinicle FHE eclipse: low end is okay, sometimes too much. Soundstage is a decent size. It doesn’t sound bad, but the FHE sounds a little better on the m3x.
Is your WIFI download speed really slow? I tested with the Ookla Speed Test app and only got 6 Mbps max. Also, 3000 Tidal offline file downloads take days.

Aug 13, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #97 of 873
@Shanling

I found a bug. The M6 Ultra WiFi download speed is extremely slow and won't go past 6 Mbps. :sob:Yet upload speed is normal at 17 Mbps. :astonished:

I've tried a full reset and everything in between. I must say the UI is fast and the touchscreen is very responsive. Nice.

I ran tests against my OG Fiio M11 and Hiby R5 Saber. All are just 12 inches away from the router.

Hmm maybe is it upgrading something or you connected 2.4G

Aug 13, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #99 of 873
have you tried any full-sized headphones on the M6 Ultra. also, what EQ features does it have. anything interesting like the MSEB of the Hiby players or just the standard rock, classics, dance, etc.
Likely just the standard 10 band like it's predecessor. MSEB or something similar I have not seen on Shanling daps. Hopefully Shanling made some adjustments to the EQ - My M6 Pro will only store one manual setting, so I run the Hiby music app on it. Now I can utilize MSEB, but I don't tinker with it much. Shanling AKM daps don't require much equalization for my tastes.

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #100 of 873
Is your WIFI download speed really slow? I tested with the Ookla Speed Test app and only got 6 Mbps max. Also, 3000 Tidal offline file downloads take days.

Can test tomorrow. Streaming lossless and hi res worked just fine though

Aug 14, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #101 of 873
have you tried any full-sized headphones on the M6 Ultra. also, what EQ features does it have. anything interesting like the MSEB of the Hiby players or just the standard rock, classics, dance, etc.

We have only fairly basic EQ in Shanling music app, nothing special. Same as previous players of ours.

@Shanling

Please what security setting you running on your Wi-Fi? If WPA2, we are aware that this setting can cause some issues. It was reported to software team for fix.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 14, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #102 of 873
@Shanling

20220812_160928.jpg
I wrote about a similar problem for the Shanling M7 device:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...android-10-5-inch-screen.962818/post-16988810
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...android-10-5-inch-screen.962818/post-16994681

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #105 of 873
Strange that my old Fiio M11 never had any such WiFi issues. :relieved: I thought basic WiFi implementation had been mastered already. :astonished:

I tried "Open System" on my guest network, but no joy. Asus RT-AC86U

This does not fill me with confidence in my current choice, but I will wait and see what happens. :alien::rolling_eyes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back