Shanling M6 Ultra - 4x AKM AK4493S DAC, Snapdragon 665, Android 10 DAP
Aug 27, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #196 of 873
Please what was your issue on M3X and what USB DAC were you using with it?

In its core the digital USB output works the same between our Android devices.

Are you using wi-fi with WPA2 setting? We are aware of that causing problems with download speed.

When I use M3X as USB transport, I get random pop every now and then. I am using Denafrips Ares II. However, with the same set up playing the same music using iPad, the music plays well without any pop.

M3X works well when using it through the 3.5/4.4mm headphone jack output.

Aug 27, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #197 of 873
I think a couple reviewers have gotten the m6u recently, hopefully some reviews will start popping up. Most of the recent Shanling daps have gotten great reviews. I’d be a little surprised if the m6u didn’t garner some praise too. I’m a bit biased though, I like it a lot.

Been a bit of struggle getting a case, but one’s finally on the way now.

It’s great that you are enjoying your m6u. I am looking forward to upcoming reviews to decide on getting one.

I like my M3X when listening through the 3.5/4.4mm output. However, I experienced random pop when I use the USB output to external DAC.

Aug 27, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #198 of 873
(Delete)

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #199 of 873
Are you using wi-fi with WPA2 setting? We are aware of that causing problems with download speed.
I am using wi-fi with WPA2. I’m not sure what I need to do to change this?

Is anyone experiencing elevated mids & wonky bass?? I think I have a defective M6u!!!! :triportsad::triportsad::triportsad:
Definitely not. Very impressed with the sound.

Aug 28, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #202 of 873
Hello all first time poster in this forum
Where is M6u ,, compared to M7?
I know different Dacs, m 6u has 4 akm and m7, ess pro chip
SQ only
Is m7 limited run?
Retail price of the m6u is 300+ cheaper. About 200mw less power. 2 less gb of ram (4 instead of 6). Different op amps, and aesthetically the m7 looks more like the m9, while the m6u looks more like the m3x (heavier and bigger). I don’t think the m7 is a limited run. I haven’t heard the m7 so I can’t comment on SQ differences, but i gather they sound quite different.

They share the same android 10 and snapdragon 665. I haven’t found the m6u lacking in os snappiness. For me, it really came down to what sound signature I was looking for and whether or not I needed the extra power. I like the emerald green a lot too.

Aug 28, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #204 of 873
I am using wi-fi with WPA2. I’m not sure what I need to do to change this?

You can either try to change the security protocol on your Wi-Fi, or wait until we get some firmware fixing this. So far there is no other quick fix.

SQ only
Is m7 limited run?

M7 is not limited run.

Difference between them is primarily in the sound, on most other aspects they are comparable or the difference is not that significant.

So if you want warmer and smoother sound with AKM on M6U or more neutral, detailed M7.

I personally prefer M7, but that's up to individual gear and preferences.

Is anyone experiencing elevated mids & wonky bass?? I think I have a defective M6u!!!! :triportsad::triportsad::triportsad:

Honestly, sounds bit more like you just don't like the AKM sound. Are you using it with the stock Shanling Music player?

Of course you can contact your seller and get the M6U compared to another unit if possible, to be 100% sure it's not some hardware problem on your unit.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 28, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #205 of 873
SQ only
Is m7 limited run?
I can only base this on what I've head, and I haven't purchased the Ultra yet. I have the M6 Pro original, and have owned a few daps with ESS chips. Every one I've heard had a slight to moderate bright, and at times harsh sonic character. Dependant on source material of course. The AKM and Shanling tuning don't pump the upper frequencies up - no artificial artifacts that I can hear. If you're after a more analytical approach, ESS is probably going to be the better choice. I would describe Shanling/AKM as smooth, velvety, and analog, but still meaty, dynamic, and detailed. Great choice for headphones that don't have an overly warm tuning.

Aug 28, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #206 of 873
Until the wpa2 wifi issue is fixed you have three options:

1. Connect and use the WiFi sharing (and hotspot) on a phone with WPA3.

2. Get a usb to Ethernet adapter. I tried many adapters and the only one that worked at full speed (700+ Mbps) was the UNI usb-c Ethernet adapter. All the others only reached 200 to 300 Mbps for some odd reason. Link: https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Adapter-uni-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B077KXY71Q

3. Upgrade your router to one that has WPA3. (I am waiting for a router that also includes IKEv2 vpn. Samsung removed L2TP, PPTP and OpenVPN on the S22 Ultra. Sigh* :relieved: )

Aug 29, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #207 of 873
I can only base this on what I've head, and I haven't purchased the Ultra yet. I have the M6 Pro original, and have owned a few daps with ESS chips. Every one I've heard had a slight to moderate bright, and at times harsh sonic character. Dependant on source material of course. The AKM and Shanling tuning don't pump the upper frequencies up - no artificial artifacts that I can hear. If you're after a more analytical approach, ESS is probably going to be the better choice. I would describe Shanling/AKM as smooth, velvety, and analog, but still meaty, dynamic, and detailed. Great choice for headphones that don't have an overly warm tuning.

I had the Fiio M11 Plus ESS and it didn't sound any brighter than my OG Fiio M11 (AKM) IMHO. The bass level and impact on the two units sounded exactly the same (very very good). The M11 also has several years of burn in over the Plus ESS.

I returned the M11 Plus because the two sounded so similar, but Tidal issues, sluggish performance, lack of support and old Android of the OG M11 brought me to the M6U.

I might have to revisit the M11 Plus ESS and compare with the M6U. I am very curious now.

Lastly, the OG M11 used 2 AK4493s and the M6U uses 4 AK4493SEQs.

I wonder how different they are?

Aug 29, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #209 of 873
I really want this, but I'd prefer to hear from people who can compare and contrast it against the M6 Pro AKM. This would be my most expensive dap purchase, and I want to make sure that it is an improvement over what I currently have. If they sound quite similar, no need to spend the additional 300 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back