Shanling M6 PRO - New version coming Summer 2021
Jul 30, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #272 of 959
The M6 Pro is now listed on Amazon, but as "Out of Stock". As it just appeared on there only today (yes, I've been checking) I suspect that's not the whole picture, but anyway....

Do the improvements on the M6 Pro over the M6 really justify and £250 difference in price? Again, I'm circling around the M6 Pro and it does look delicious, like it "sparks joy", but there are things that, while I love music, crave great sound and lots of storage, I'm ignorant of and suspect I'm overreaching. Why, for instance, three headphone jacks? What's the difference?

Jul 30, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #273 of 959
There's a new black colorway coming for the M6 Pro, and the platinum colorway has been out of stock for weeks in Musicteck's online store. That might explain what's going on with the stock on amazon, which I believe is mostly also Musicteck (they're Shanling's US distributor).

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #274 of 959
The M6 Pro is now listed on Amazon, but as "Out of Stock". As it just appeared on there only today (yes, I've been checking) I suspect that's not the whole picture, but anyway....

Do the improvements on the M6 Pro over the M6 really justify and £250 difference in price? Again, I'm circling around the M6 Pro and it does look delicious, like it "sparks joy", but there are things that, while I love music, crave great sound and lots of storage, I'm ignorant of and suspect I'm overreaching. Why, for instance, three headphone jacks? What's the difference?

Shanling products are not sold directly by Amazon, always by one of our dealers through Amazon. It's up to their decision for their market when they want to put it on Amazon or keep it on sale just on their website.

Why three connectors? Because that's the current state of portable audio market, being stuck somewhere in the middle between 2.5mm balanced and 4.4mm balanced. And right now trend is to offer customers all the needed connectors, if there is enough space in the device.

And with 3.5mm Pro now having comeback, I bet there will be somebody offering devices with 4 headphone connectors.

M6 vs M6 Pro - One thing is power, where M6 Pro is simply better. For sound, I would recommend reading some of the published reviews of M6 Pro, there are multiple ones offering direct comparison with M6.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 31, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #275 of 959
Why three connectors? Because that's the current state of portable audio market, being stuck somewhere in the middle between 2.5mm balanced and 4.4mm balanced. And right now trend is to offer customers all the needed connectors, if there is enough space in the device.

And with 3.5mm Pro now having comeback, I bet there will be somebody offering devices with 4 headphone connectors.
Thanks, but I'm just technically ignorant enough to not understand what this means. What's the difference between the two balanced connections, apart from size? What's 3.5mm Pro and...where is it coming back from?

My first DAP with a balanced connector was the Pioneer 300 xdp which I've got now, and I was told that an adaptor for the balanced slot, to plug my trusty old headphones into, wasn't possible and didn't work, so I ended up getting a couple of pairs of "balanced" headphones (although I believe one came with swappable cables). Do adaptors now work for all these different headphone slots so you don't have to buy three different types of headphones?

Thanks - Adam K

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #276 of 959
@Shanling :
It's been asked before, but you have yet to answer the question of Android 9. Since I began reading this thread, it was always stated that Android 9 would be coming. Now there was a video posted earlier in this thread (suspiciously the video has been removed) announcing that Android 9 has been cancelled. Please answer the question, so your customers, past and future, can know what to expect when they purchase the M6 Pro. Is Shanling still planning to release Android 9 or not?

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #277 of 959
Shanling products are not sold directly by Amazon, always by one of our dealers through Amazon. It's up to their decision for their market when they want to put it on Amazon or keep it on sale just on their website.

Thanks for clarifying that.

M6 vs M6 Pro - One thing is power, where M6 Pro is simply better. For sound, I would recommend reading some of the published reviews of M6 Pro, there are multiple ones offering direct comparison with M6.

Thanks, I've read what I can and, basically, there's some technical jargon that's beyond me followed by, simply, "The sound is better". I apologise, I'm being cheeky, but I guess I wanted to know if it's £250 worth better and was hoping someone here who had both might be able to advise.

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #278 of 959
Thanks for clarifying that.

Thanks, I've read what I can and, basically, there's some technical jargon that's beyond me followed by, simply, "The sound is better". I apologise, I'm being cheeky, but I guess I wanted to know if it's £250 worth better and was hoping someone here who had both might be able to advise.

The M6 pro has noticeably power over ita predecessor. The amp tuning is definitely more energetic (akin to the R6 pro, not as noisy though, + for the m6 pro), just enough exciting toe tapping over the typical shanling smooth house sound, that I wasn't expecting to be so impressed with.

So yes imo, its worth the added money, if you have it to spend. If not just wait till a used one pops up in a month or so. I personally think $599 would be a better price point, but Covid and tariffs all have something to do with the $$ increase, imo. No hard proof, it's a forum, so take it for what its worth.

Aug 1, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #281 of 959
The M6 pro has noticeably power over ita predecessor. The amp tuning is definitely more energetic (akin to the R6 pro, not as noisy though, + for the m6 pro), just enough exciting toe tapping over the typical shanling smooth house sound, that I wasn't expecting to be so impressed with.

So yes imo, its worth the added money, if you have it to spend. If not just wait till a used one pops up in a month or so. I personally think $599 would be a better price point, but Covid and tariffs all have something to do with the $$ increase, imo. No hard proof, it's a forum, so take it for what its worth.

Many thanks for this -- it's useful info and, of course, you're right. There's no point salivating over something at this point, especially if I don't really have the money (I'd also have to invest in a 1TB card, as I've said before, to hold the music I've currently got on the two SD cards in my Pioneer XDP 300R). I'm in the UK and it's about parity, £749, and I can't justify spending that much money on something that's for my own personal love of music. I don't have the ears or the vocabulary to distinguish or even understand what people mean by "warm" or "analytical" sound, just that my experience with the Fiio x5ii's sound was dire, so I'm leaning more towards the Shanling but...I go round in circles. Patience is the thing. Thanks again.

Aug 1, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #282 of 959
Meanwhile, and I was quite serious about this (and forgive my ignorance) but what is the difference between 2.5 and 4.4? I believe my balanced socket for my Pioneer XDP 300R is 2.5 -- why is there a 4.4 and what's the difference? Also, the good person from Shanling mentioned 3.5mm Pro. What on earth is/was that?

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #285 of 959
Thanks, but I'm just technically ignorant enough to not understand what this means. What's the difference between the two balanced connections, apart from size? What's 3.5mm Pro and...where is it coming back from?

My first DAP with a balanced connector was the Pioneer 300 xdp which I've got now, and I was told that an adaptor for the balanced slot, to plug my trusty old headphones into, wasn't possible and didn't work, so I ended up getting a couple of pairs of "balanced" headphones (although I believe one came with swappable cables). Do adaptors now work for all these different headphone slots so you don't have to buy three different types of headphones?

Thanks - Adam K

Yes, main difference between 2.5 and 4.4 is in size. Their output on M6/Pro is identical.

2.5mm was firstly adopted by many manufacturers, so lots of people have cables with 2.5mm. Such cables and connectors are also easily available from different sellers.
4.4mm was later introduced firstly on Sony players and nowadays more manufacturers are switching to it on some devices, it's much more robust than the 2.5mm(not as easy to snap in half).

Few years ago there was balanced version of 3.5mm connector, but it was used pretty much just by one manufacturer and never gained popularity. Nowadays there is movement in Chinese Hi-Fi to bring it back

@Shanling :
It's been asked before, but you have yet to answer the question of Android 9. Since I began reading this thread, it was always stated that Android 9 would be coming. Now there was a video posted earlier in this thread (suspiciously the video has been removed) announcing that Android 9 has been cancelled. Please answer the question, so your customers, past and future, can know what to expect when they purchase the M6 Pro. Is Shanling still planning to release Android 9 or not?

Currently we are not working on update to Android 9. Can't say if or when it will come.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back