Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Dec 30, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #2,266 of 2,497
i found that v 3.2 have the best audio quality for me, bass and sound stage feels a little 3D surround and less boring than recent versions, maybe thats me though
xD

Jan 1, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #2,267 of 2,497
i found that v 3.2 have the best audio quality for me, bass and sound stage feels a little 3D surround and less boring than recent versions, maybe thats me though
xD
I think Fw 3.2 and F3.3 have exact the same sound quality. Shanling didn't change any thing regarding with SQ.

Fw 3.4 they changed the DSP, and you know the issue with EQ.

Jan 1, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #2,268 of 2,497
I think Fw 3.2 and F3.3 have exact the same sound quality. Shanling didn't change any thing regarding with SQ.

Fw 3.4 they changed the DSP, and you know the issue with EQ.

I really wanted a good DSP for this like BBE on cowons.
the M5s default sound is insanely good and amusing on its own. imagine if it has sound tweaks other than this primitive equalizer

Jan 4, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #2,269 of 2,497
Trying to play master on tidal steaming, has anyone else noticed that the wifi on the device is pretty poor? I have near on 60mb broadband and yet still find the songs playing keep stopping and starting, which I assume it is buffering. The whole reason I got the M5S was that it could stream tidal, but appears not that effectively. As I said in an earlier post, I'm new to this device so still working out the pros and cons, maybe I'm missing something?

Jan 9, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #2,272 of 2,497
So this player still has an issue with the EQ causing distortion when used?

Jan 9, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #2,273 of 2,497
So this player still has an issue with the EQ causing distortion when used?
Bad news..... today while i was using my bluetooth earbuds i tried missing with the EQ
I raised the 250hz 125 and 30 hz band to the max to see how much bass can go and guess what.

IT DIDN'T distort on max db . (This means that the audio chip in my earbuds are good and can handle the bass quite good) .

Now after i connected my bluetooth earbuds wired mode to my m5s (now i am using the player akm dac and amp) the bass distorted heavily.

So i guess its a hardware issue not software .... the player cant handle raising low freq bands well.

Thats why i think it will never be fixed. Shanling was staling and they lied to us regarding the EQ fix... i am so disappointed now..

Jan 9, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #2,274 of 2,497
Bad news..... today while i was using my bluetooth earbuds i tried missing with the EQ
I raised the 250hz 125 and 30 hz band to the max to see how much bass can go and guess what.

IT DIDN'T distort on max db . (This means that the audio chip in my earbuds are good and can handle the bass quite good) .

Now after i connected my bluetooth earbuds wired mode to my m5s (now i am using the player akm dac and amp) the bass distorted heavily.

So i guess its a hardware issue not software .... the player cant handle raising low freq bands well.

Thats why i think it will never be fixed. Shanling was staling and they lied to us regarding the EQ fix... i am so disappointed now..

if they could , they would fix it along with all other problems ...instead dusting in forums stupid excuses and empty promises . Incompetent and worthless
But look at the good side ,,,,they add 7 themes.....
....That M5S TOTL dud device are

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #2,275 of 2,497
I have a different finding. Firmware 3.3 was good. You could only make minor tweaks no matter how much you pushed without too much distortion and it was enough to take the edge off exaggerated frequencies.
It seemed like to me there were a lot of complaints because it was not enough so Shanling made firmware 3.4 more sensitive and you could now boost more or cut more but it just didn't sound right when the EQ was turned on.
A good EQ should sound indistinguishable when its set flat and you turn it on and off.

Firmware 3.5 is the best so far. It is not as sensitive and as long as you don't over boost you will not distort. I have worked with parametric EQs for car audio and some home audio and its the same thing. You need to know how to cut frequencies and avoid boosting them to achieve a smooth result. You are primarily limited by the drivers and the EQ is only a final touch. The cheaper stuff is generally a toy that is far more forgiving but it will sound muffled.
I was able to take the edge off the Blons by cutting some of the harshness in the bass and now they sound phenomenal. I know that there are a lot of DSP features out there if you like to color your sound and I do not think Shanling will implement them so its better to move on to an android device but as far as the EQ goes its the best that its ever been for my needs as it doesn't ruin the sound quality when its used conservatively and that is the limits of most good EQs because its easy to distort the sound if you don't know how to use them.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #2,276 of 2,497
3.5 is the best so far. It is not as sensitive and as long as you don't over boost you will not distort.
Completely agree. The latest firmware is a winner. EQ finally works, the UI tweaks take what was a great interface and adds a bit more customization but retains the simplicity and quickness. Over the last few weeks I've taken delivery of 3 new hallmark IEMS: Noble M3 (awesome). IMR RAH (my my my they're unbelievable) go scan the thread from around December and 20 forward, not a single person has been disappointed. And Itsfit Labs Fusion (spectacular). All of them sound incredible with the M5s. Still very happy with it over all.

Jan 9, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #2,277 of 2,497
Completely agree. The latest firmware is a winner. EQ finally works, the UI tweaks take what was a great interface and adds a bit more customization but retains the simplicity and quickness. Over the last few weeks I've taken delivery of 3 new hallmark IEMS: Noble M3 (awesome). IMR RAH (my my my they're unbelievable) go scan the thread from around December and 20 forward, not a single person has been disappointed. And Itsfit Labs Fusion (spectacular). All of them sound incredible with the M5s. Still very happy with it over all.

I am happy that I have conformation because my ears don't lie and Im very picky if something is off. When the complaints came in with firmware 3.4 I heard it for myself and the reports were accurate. After they fixed it with firmware 3.5 it was night and day better.
A friend of mine has the Noble K10 which I sampled on the M5S and they sounded musical even though they are a very neutral set. I think the best way to describe the M5S tuning is musically neutral. Its not for everyone and the Blons that Im using now can get a little edgy with the bass and the EQ is able to smooth it out.
Im not interested many features. I just want easy navigation and sound quality, and the M5s does this well although I think the wifi file transfer feature to be an unexpected surprise that is useful.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #2,278 of 2,497
Good to know the made a strong attempt to fix the EQ with firmware 3.5.

Jan 11, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #2,280 of 2,497
I have one ongoing issue with the M5s its not critical and has nothing to do with sound but it bugs me (a bit)
The Clock is constantly losing or gaining time, I'm not sure which. Right now the time is is 3:47 PM but the clock is reading 4:36 AM even though I have reset it several times in the last 4 weeks.
It seems to have started a few firmwares ago and has remained. Like I said, its not critical, but its also not right. Anyone else notice this? @Shanling are you aware of it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back