Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Dec 22, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #1,291 of 2,497
So it comes down for under $500. The Hiby R6, Ibasso 150, the Shanling m5s.
Are we convinced the m5s can compete with the highly rated r6 and the 150?

I'll say yes the M5s is going to compete fairly solidly. The R6 has a lot of great features but honestly the m5s matches most of those so it will come down to UI responsiveness and implementation for most people. (The M3s already sounded pretty darned good so if they tweaked a bit the M5s should rock). Where the M5s really could one up the R6 is in battery life where the M5s shows potential for all day use while the R6 realistically appears to be a 4-6 hour player in most use cases.

The DX150 brings the ability to swap amp modules but that also increases the cost by $200 for each additional module you add so really makes this an unfair comparison. If you stick with the stock amp provided with the unit, the Dx150 and M5s have similar specs and again it is likely to come down to personal choices as to which each person likes better.

Dec 22, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #1,292 of 2,497
I'll say yes the M5s is going to compete fairly solidly. The R6 has a lot of great features but honestly the m5s matches most of those so it will come down to UI responsiveness and implementation for most people. (The M3s already sounded pretty darned good so if they tweaked a bit the M5s should rock). Where the M5s really could one up the R6 is in battery life where the M5s shows potential for all day use while the R6 realistically appears to be a 4-6 hour player in most use cases.

The DX150 brings the ability to swap amp modules but that also increases the cost by $200 for each additional module you add so really makes this an unfair comparison. If you stick with the stock amp provided with the unit, the Dx150 and M5s have similar specs and again it is likely to come down to personal choices as to which each person likes better.

I easily get through an 7 hour shift at work with the r6, battery is only half done by the time I'm home. That said I'm not using wifi and just have music on the player itself and screen interaction is minimal. There are other concerns with the r6 though such as the impedence issue for sensitive ba iems.

Dec 22, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #1,294 of 2,497
I find the minute I turn Wifi and Bluetooth on it hammers the battery life though so 7 hours without any connectivity really doesn't tell the whole story especially when Hiby's original Ad material said 13 hour battery life. If the M5s does indeed live up to its battery claims (which is admittedly another big IF) then it has a substantial advantage in that category. I really like the R6, but like most of the DAPs right now the battery life was pretty healthily overstated.

Dec 22, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #1,297 of 2,497
I easily get through an 7 hour shift at work with the r6, battery is only half done by the time I'm home. That said I'm not using wifi and just have music on the player itself and screen interaction is minimal. There are other concerns with the r6 though such as the impedence issue for sensitive ba iems.
Don’t understand the impedance issue. Is this also a issue with full size easy to drive headphones?

Dec 23, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #1,298 of 2,497
I've had around 13-14 hours of playtime on 16/44 flacs on high gain with iems on m5s so that's not bad at all.

Don’t understand the impedance issue. Is this also a issue with full size easy to drive headphones?

It depends from headphones. The most likely to be affected are low impedence multi ba iems where their sound is completely different with no highs and very bloated bass on high impedence outputs. If you have 50+ ohm headphones there shouldn't be a problem but don't think there is a golden rule what will be effected and to what extent because each headphones are different. Almost every modern dap other than hiby r6 has less than 1 ohm output impedence and that solves the issue.

Dec 23, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #1,301 of 2,497
General golden rule on impedance is to make sure that the output impedance on your source (the Z out) is less than 1/8 the impedance of the 'phones you're using. Generally speaking, problems can creep up especially with multi BA IEMs (like @siruspan said), 'cos the different drivers can exhibit different FR curves depending on impedance ... and they're generally more sensitive. Actual effect can vary (depends on the impedance response of the drivers involved), though the one which I've more often seen is the opposite of what siruspan mentioned: less bass, more highs, with higher Z out than optimal (the other one CAN happen, too :) - but it requires the drivers invoved to have an impedance curve showing lower impedance at higher frequencies, which is rarer, I believe).

Usually, modern DAPs have generally low Z outs (<1 ohm), so it's not a big deal... though there are exceptions (Hiby R6, say), so if you plan to use a DAP especially with multi BA IEMs, it's a good idea you're not getting that one rare DAP who has relatively high Z out. M5s is fine with most everything, from what I know - output impedance is < 0.3 ohm .

Then, there's also "unusual" beasts like the CA Andromeda, who thrive with sources having Z out of between 1 and 3 ohms (which one being best depending on individual tastes), and can sound muddy and congested with sources having lower Z out (<1 ohm), and thin with sources having higher Z outs - but that's really not common :) .

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #1,303 of 2,497
Within my search. The hiby r6 is not recommended for low impedance headphones. ( my Focal Clears and Hifiman ed x are low impedance) The ibasso 150 interface is a laggy. Hopefully this Shangling m5s will address these issues. As I will be buying the best dap for under $500 within 30 days.

Dec 23, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #1,304 of 2,497
Within my search. The hiby r6 is not recommended for low impedance headphones. ( my Focal Clears and Hifiman ed x are low impedance) The ibasso 150 interface is a laggy. Hopefully this Shangling m5s will address these issues. As I will be buying the best dap for under $500 within 30 days.

low impedance (5-20 ohm) multi-BAs or hybrid IEMs with a crossover; it has nothing to do with single DD or single BA iems or full size dynamic driver headphones :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #1,305 of 2,497
low impedance (5-20 ohm) multi-BAs or hybrid IEMs with a crossover; it has nothing to do with single DD or single BA iems or full size dynamic driver headphones :wink:
You got the wrong info or don't understand impedance interactions. It's about the impedance fluctuations, not about cross-overs or hybrids. Single BA can have impedance variations.

Please understand stuff you are going to explain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back