Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Nov 10, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #872 of 2,497
I was told by Shanling that the Canadian distributor had not made any order, yet. And I was told by a store manager, who contacted the distributor, that they would not distribute it (not enough demand).

We might have to order it from the USA distributor:

https://shop.musicteck.com/

You can order one from ebay.ca now shipping from Hong Kong bu $660.00 CDN is way to much, especially with no warranty coverage. If it isn't available in Canada and no warranty coverage then to much of a risk for me. Will wait for the next Shanling DAP and see what it has to offer. If Shanling wants to sell their higher end DAP's to Canadians they really need to offer a North American warranty so Canadian buyers have protection. Until that happens I won't consider buying one.

Nov 10, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #874 of 2,497
You can order one from ebay.ca now shipping from Hong Kong bu $660.00 CDN is way to much, especially with no warranty coverage. If it isn't available in Canada and no warranty coverage then to much of a risk for me. Will wait for the next Shanling DAP and see what it has to offer. If Shanling wants to sell their higher end DAP's to Canadians they really need to offer a North American warranty so Canadian buyers have protection. Until that happens I won't consider buying one.

Buying from the USA distributor will come with a warranty. I buy audio gear directly from the states all the time, like from Schiit.

That being said, I also would rather buy it from a Canadian seller.

Nov 10, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #875 of 2,497
Buying from the USA distributor will come with a warranty. I buy audio gear directly from the states all the time, like from Schiit.

That being said, I also would rather buy it from a Canadian seller.

It may come with a short purchase return warranty but no full manufacturers warranty on most products bought out of country. I was looking to get an A45 from bhphotovideo in the US as it was not available in Canada at the time. I called Sony and no the manufacturers warranty is not covered in Canada if purchased from the US. Shanling from what I understand does not warranty imported products so if you buy the M5S from the states the warranty is not covered in Canada. I can't speak to Schiit but they are the exception if they do and not the rule.

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #876 of 2,497
You can order it on AliExpress. 429$

I just did a search on aliexpress for the Shanling M5S and the M0 came up. Also $429.00 is Shanling's suggested US price not the Canadian price. You typically add 30 to 35% to the US price to get the Canadian price so more like $575.00 CDN. To much to risk on an imported product that will not come with the manufacturers warranty. I will wait for the next M2?/M3? which should be available in Canada hopefully. To bad the M5S won't be available here as the M5 was available at one time and you can still buy the M3 but the M3S not available in Canada either. It is arbitrary availability like this that turns me off of some manufacturers products.

Shanling, once again if you aren't going get your Canadian distributor to offer these DAP's in Canada then for god sake cover the US warranty in Canada. All you are doing is alienating potential customers like me and losing potential sales. If I can buy all the Fiio products in Canada then why not all the Shanling products? People aren't to know how good your products are if they can't get their hands on them!!!!!

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #877 of 2,497
It may come with a short purchase return warranty but no full manufacturers warranty on most products bought out of country. I was looking to get an A45 from bhphotovideo in the US as it was not available in Canada at the time. I called Sony and no the manufacturers warranty is not covered in Canada if purchased from the US. Shanling from what I understand does not warranty imported products so if you buy the M5S from the states the warranty is not covered in Canada. I can't speak to Schiit but they are the exception if they do and not the rule.

I was convinced that I could send it back to the USA distributor or Shanling if the unit turned out defective... with full warranty.

I will send emails and confirm...

Nov 10, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #878 of 2,497

Quote from MusicTeck USA:

"Your M5s is under full warranty coverage but you need cover the shipping to us."

Nov 10, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #879 of 2,497
Just my 2 cents. Maybe it's OK taking the risk with $100 product without warranty from Ali, but when you are spending over $400 I would consider dealing with authorized distributor.

Nov 10, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #881 of 2,497
I too try not to buy from Ebay as more often then not the price is SO jacked up and then the huge shipping rate which is ridiculous at best and then the waiting begins.
I am looking at Musictek as their prices are good even after the scrappy Cdn. Dollar exchange rate. Now we can buy up to $150 of stuff before the tax kicks in. Whoo hoo!!!

Nov 10, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #882 of 2,497
Do we need a few more reviews before we determine this dap. Is the best under $500 unit.
It is very subjective. To my ears, the M5s shares the similar sound signature of the M3s but all the M5s soudstage is better refined. Thus, the soundstage and sound separations are impressive! EQ seting also impacts. I would think it is one of the best "flagship" under 500 usd or even more, if not the best. The other vendors ' flagship DAPs are much much more expensive. I will try to test some of them.
Reviews from experts are supposed to come soon:ksc75smile:

Nov 11, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #883 of 2,497
Quote from MusicTeck USA:

"Your M5s is under full warranty coverage but you need cover the shipping to us."

So this is contrary to what Shanling has stated in different forums that imported units will not have warranty coverage. I guess since Shanling's distributors are handling the warranty it is at their discretion to cover it or not.

Nov 11, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #884 of 2,497
So this is contrary to what Shanling has stated in different forums that imported units will not have warranty coverage. I guess since Shanling's distributors are handling the warranty it is at their discretion to cover it or not.

I don't think Shanling have said that. If you buy your device in the US, warranty is restricted to the US. It's your responsibility to get the device to the US, you pay for shipping. The same goes if you buy it in Hong Kong, warranty is for Hong Kong only. You will have to travel to Hong Kong or ship it :).

I think this goes for most manufacturers, at least for China/Hong Kong.

Nov 11, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #885 of 2,497
No it's not. Musictek is the official distributor for the US. They handle all warranty issues for product they sold. If you buy it off of aliexpress, musictek does not cover the warranty. Why would they deal with a warranty issue from a product they didn't sell you?

And if you're in the US and trying to save a few bucks by buying from aliexpress, well then you don't deserve to have the local distributor take care of you if there is a problem. Plain and simple. It's not about discretion Support your local distributor, and they will support you. Now if Shanling paid Musictek to handle all warranty claims, regardless of where it was bought, that would be different.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back