Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Jan 3, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #1,411 of 2,497
Instead of just rehashing that I posted in the wrong thread, I'm editing this post to add... after a dozen or so hours of listening to the M5s, I'm extremely happy with this purchase. I haven't run into any serious bugs or quirks yet. The sound quality is excellent, and the UI is zippy and fairly intuitive. LDAC sounds great, and the balanced out sounds even better (as it should.) I do kinda think they should've added a thin scratch protector to the screen, but that's digging for a nit to pick.

It is an endgame DAP for me. If this is to be Shanling's current flagship DAP, they should be proud of the results. Tbh, I'm not even sure what would be in a higher priced DAP... more features and power, maybe?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #1,412 of 2,497
Will try to adjust the space for sliding.

Yeah, currently no way how to play all songs of one artist. Our mistake.

Actually alphabetical sorting of playlists on M0 is viewed as error. Playlist, from its nature, should follow the way how you want to play the files, so in particular order you chose. Alphabetical order goes against it.

Don't remember exact limit for playlists, should be few hundred files, including "Favorites".

I agree totally, I want the playlist to play the tracks in the order I add them to the playlist and not alphabetically. I would like to see this fixed on the M0 in the future.

@Shanling, you said awhile ago that Canadian dealers would be carrying the M5S. I still can't find it anywhere in Canada, can you get any time frame for availability from the Canadian distributor? I have been budgeting to get the M5S and would like to check it out before I consider purchasing one.

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #1,413 of 2,497
So what color of M5s you ordered finally? Both titan and black color look elegant but I chose black. My M3s is a titan grey and I just want something different:boy:

I still cant decide :sweat: ... little demons giggling and whispering... black... nonono titan... black is beautiful... buuuut titan more shiny :smile: Don't know if anyome knows the old game Simon The Sorcerer and the talking woodworms :sweat_smile:

Woodworm conversation starts after 6 mins, 7:52 talking about what they want... decissions :astonished:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #1,414 of 2,497
Instead of just rehashing that I posted in the wrong thread, I'm editing this post to add... after a dozen or so hours of listening to the M5s, I'm extremely happy with this purchase. I haven't run into any serious bugs or quirks yet. The sound quality is excellent, and the UI is zippy and fairly intuitive. LDAC sounds great, and the balanced out sounds even better (as it should.) I do kinda think they should've added a thin scratch protector to the screen, but that's digging for a nit to pick.

It is an endgame DAP for me. If this is to be Shanling's current flagship DAP, they should be proud of the results. Tbh, I'm not even sure what would be in a higher priced DAP... more features and power, maybe?
Any DAC listed in "Link below" will pretty much make the M5s sound ok at best, but it does pack some great features! Better chips, more power, tubes, things like that.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/king-of-daps.895618/

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #1,415 of 2,497
Any DAC listed in "Link below" will pretty much make the M5s sound ok at best, but it does pack some great features! Better chips, more power, tubes, things like that.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/king-of-daps.895618/

Well, at those prices, it better sound better! I mean, some of those DAPs cost more than my entire desktop rig, including the integrated amp and loudspeakers. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure those luxury DAPs sound incredible. But I wonder if my headphones would be able to really show off such nice source gear, at least to the extent that something like the Meze Empyrean could.

Besides, from my experience, the law of diminishing returns still basically applies to audiophile gear as you go up in price, especially as the overall sound quality of that sub-$1000 tier has also gone up across the board. (Or course, I know that summit-fi sound quality has also gone up to carve out a new space/compete.) Even then, my assessment of the M5s isn't that it is as good as my desktop rig, merely that it doesn't make me miss my desktop rig as I'm listening to a portable. That fact alone is a minor miracle.

Jan 3, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #1,416 of 2,497
@Shanling

Found a glitch. When in the Albums menu and selecting a song with no album, nothing appears in the little sub-menu at all, just a blank screen.

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #1,417 of 2,497
Meze 99 classics, Oppo pm3 or pm2

these above imo are better than the H6

Are there other alternatives I should consider besides the Meze 99 Classics?The Oppos are definitely out of my price range. The thing is I was away from Head-Fi for so long, so I know nothing about any of the newer full-sized portable headphones that came out since my absence.

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #1,418 of 2,497
Are there other alternatives I should consider besides the Meze 99 Classics?The Oppos are definitely out of my price range. The thing is I was away from Head-Fi for so long, so I know nothing about any of the newer full-sized portable headphones that came out since my absence.

The confusion is real! Haha. So many choices before you even get to Bluetooth. If you can wait, MD sells a noir version of the Meze 99 Classic for $200. That’s the one I’d probably get if I were in your shoes. A bit understated compared to the retail version, which is my subjective preference when it comes to wearing headphones in public.

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #1,419 of 2,497

I am sure somebody could add a few more to the list those are the three headphones i would give my Rec to.
Iem wise ibasso it01, Flc8s, if you ever went iem.

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #1,420 of 2,497
The confusion is real! Haha. So many choices before you even get to Bluetooth. If you can wait, MD sells a noir version of the Meze 99 Classic for $200. That’s the one I’d probably get if I were in your shoes. A bit understated compared to the retail version, which is my subjective preference when it comes to wearing headphones in public.

I don't even know what MD is. A retailer? Lol.

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #1,421 of 2,497

sorry long day MD is Mass drop they will do 99 classics in black wait for those

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #1,422 of 2,497
I am sure somebody could add a few more to the list those are the three headphones i would give my Rec to.
Iem wise ibasso it01, Flc8s, if you ever went iem.
I've tried my share of IEMs but every one of them sounded terrible. I own the UM3xs, 1 More Triple Driver and Quad Drivers and all of them really suck to my ears. Guess my ear canals just aren't meant for IEMs.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #1,424 of 2,497
I don't even know what MD is. A retailer? Lol.
Haha. Massdrop. I tend to buy a lot of stuff from them, so I tend to mention their collaborations a lot in recommendation threads. Trying to sound less shill-y but damn, some of their gear sounds so good.
sorry long day MD is Mass drop they will do 99 classics in black wait for those
Yeah, it’s the full 99 Classics. Handmade in China, but still with the same exact parts, for $100 less.

I tend to be pickier about tuning when it comes to IEMs. My cans are not bright but they’re not relaxed either. But for some reason, treble fatigue is worse when the sharp sounds are coming from within the ear canal, and so many IEMs extend the treble as a feature. It sounds great but I can’t listen for more than a few minutes. lol

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #1,425 of 2,497
Go with massdrops 99 classic noirs they look stunning will pair well with M5s and other sources too.

Estimated ship time is April 2019 according to the MD page. I don't think I can wait that long. XD

Wait, no. Maybe I can. A $100 difference is substantial.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back