Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Dec 31, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #1,366 of 2,497
The outside physical buttons placement of the m5s reminds me a bit of the sony wm1a. I like to have some buttons i can press without the need to look at my dap.

I use a marantz AVReceiver for my home cinema. I tried to send music via bluetooth from the M0 to my receiver and... wow sounds good to me. Im really looking forward to get the M5s into my hands. Knowing that Shanling is communicating to the users and provide solutions is something i really like too. :relieved:

Enjoy the New Year :grin: (german time) (the dap on the pic is the Astell & Kern AK70 MKII which i already sold) :grimacing:

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #1,367 of 2,497
Sounds like there's a Jotunhiem inside this DAP . Seriously this amp stage running balanced drives the HD650 very well on low gain. The HD650 pairs phenomenally with the M5s from the balanced output.

I know what a Jotunheim is, but I bet a lot do not. :wink:

I’d love to try the M5, but I just bought a SR15 Norma. So my funds are limited atm. :frowning2:

Nowhere around me I can demo stuff either.

Dec 31, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #1,368 of 2,497
The Norma SR15 is the follower of the Ak70MKII. Theres no doupt from my side that it sounds good and of course feels good in the hands and pleasure the eyes who like the design. But i dont like the iriver/A&K philosophy providing a nice looking EQ programm that doesnt change much. Also the support is not as active as the other manufacturers provide so im looking elsewhere. Shanling representatives are nice to get along with and they take care that actions follow to the community advise.

Dec 31, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #1,369 of 2,497
The Norma SR15 is the follower of the Ak70MKII. Theres no doupt from my side that it sounds good and of course feels good in the hands and pleasure the eyes who like the design. But i dont like the iriver/A&K philosophy providing a nice looking EQ programm that doesnt change much. Also the support is not as active as the other manufacturers provide so im looking elsewhere. Shanling representatives are nice to get along with and they take care that actions follow to the community advise.

Yes the Eq on ak stuff is not very good. And I bet the battery life is better on m5s. I’m really close to doing the music tech sale though :) only no returns on sale items.

Of course it would probably easy to sell off :wink: in the rare event I didn’t want to keep it.

Dec 31, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #1,370 of 2,497
Thanks for the fast reply :upside_down: ... hmm... black color or titan/ gold... it always takes "forever" for me to make a decision :thinking: . My small M0 is titan. Maybe i should invest into 2 more ears and buy both colors.

...a dark picture from my audiophile cave:

titan is looking good with the silver accents of my phonies. But titan again? or all black? ... have to call style advisors :high_heel::smile:

I personally chose Titanium since I'm partial to dual tone devices. Titanium and black are a good combination. Gauging from the color of my Titanium M0, the M5s in Titanium will be equally as lovely.

Dec 31, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #1,371 of 2,497
M0 ... i like you but M5s is incoming ... but... you still look good :grin:

Shanling M0_15.JPG

Shanling M0_17.jpg

Dec 31, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #1,372 of 2,497
What are some good portable headphones that pair brilliantly with this player? No IEM suggestions, please. My ears never pair well with any of them.

Dec 31, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #1,373 of 2,497
Gauging from photos I've seen, the little cover guarding the microSD slot is similar to the M0's. I've had considerable difficulty opening the cover without damaging the fragile cover itself. Any tips on how to open the cover without damaging the cover at all?

Dec 31, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #1,374 of 2,497
As far as pairing suggestions with the M5s... as with any audio device, I'd stick with the prefered output type. It seems like balanced is the way to go with the M5s, so any portable (to you) headphone wired for balanced input is where I'd start, then I'd budget for a proper aftermarket balanced cable if the headphones don't come with one. LDAC sounds great for wireless from the M5s as well, so any bluetooth headset with HQ LDAC would be a good fit.

I'm using a electronics screwdriver to gently pry open the micro SD slot cover. Eyeglass tool or a nail file would work as well.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #1,375 of 2,497
As far as pairing suggestions with the M5s... as with any audio device, I'd stick with the prefered output type. It seems like balanced is the way to go with the M5s, so any portable (to you) headphone wired for balanced input is where I'd start, then I'd budget for a proper aftermarket balanced cable if the headphones don't come with one. LDAC sounds great for wireless from the M5s as well, so any bluetooth headset with HQ LDAC would be a good fit.

I'm using a electronics screwdriver to gently pry open the micro SD slot cover. Eyeglass tool or a nail file would work as well.

I’ve tried practicing on my older M0 prior to the arrival of the M5s, prying the cover with a nail filer from a nail cutter, and I still can’t open the dang thing. Lol.

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #1,377 of 2,497
Thanks for the fast reply :upside_down: ... hmm... black color or titan/ gold... it always takes "forever" for me to make a decision :thinking: . My small M0 is titan. Maybe i should invest into 2 more ears and buy both colors.

...a dark picture from my audiophile cave:

titan is looking good with the silver accents of my phonies. But titan again? or all black? ... have to call style advisors :high_heel::smile:
So what color of M5s you ordered finally? Both titan and black color look elegant but I chose black. My M3s is a titan grey and I just want something different:boy:

Dec 31, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #1,378 of 2,497
Does the m3s case fit the m5s case on the off chance??
i dont want to have to butcher a case

No, the M3s is smaller than the M5s.

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #1,379 of 2,497
Happy New Year!!

Still no sign of the M5S in Canada despite @Shanling saying Canadian dealers will carry it. Kind of disappointed as the M0 is available big time, would be nice to see better availability of Shanling's higher end DAP's in the not so great white north, at least for audio gear. :)

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #1,380 of 2,497
Exactly and it should work. M5s has USB out functionality So if an Android can do USB out to a Mobius then the M5s should also be able to do USB out to a Mobius (or any other USB DAC).

"Should" is the key word. Because some hi-tech headphones can run out of Android with all it's settings and customization doesn't mean it will work with Shanling devices, which are set for simple external DACs.

Will try to get Audeze Mobius for more testing.

To those who already have their M5s - is it possible to listen to files from a NAS via WiFi with it?

M5s only supports DMR class, so you will need some other device serve as controller.

@Shanling

Is there now a recently added playlist on the M5s like the M0? If not, please make it happen!

There is "Recent" playlist, but that is recently played, not recently added. It's same on M0.

Shanling,

Please make your cases for M5s to the old spec you had for the M3s. Had to cut mine to get it to fit a balanced cable for the HD650.

We made this decision to assure higher protection of M5s. In our testing most balanced cables connectors were either small enough to fit, or had the distance ring. Sorry to hear you need to cut case due to connector you are using.

Gauging from photos I've seen, the little cover guarding the microSD slot is similar to the M0's. I've had considerable difficulty opening the cover without damaging the fragile cover itself. Any tips on how to open the cover without damaging the cover at all?

What works best for me, simply stick your nail into small opening and pry it open. I'm swapping cards multiple times a day and my M5's card cover is like new after 4 months.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back