Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Feb 28, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #1,546 of 2,219
Mar 1, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #1,547 of 2,219
So I got my M3S from musictek on November last year. Haven't used it for awhile (about more than a month), I took the m3s out of the drawer today and found out that the control wheel isn't working well at all. While I can still roll it up and down, I just couldn't press it anymore. There's no click when I try to press it, feel like the wheel is just stucked. Also the machine keeps select stuffs (usually I have to click the wheel to do it) by itself.

I've already sent messages to musictek and waiting for their reply, but if anybody has an idea how to fix it I'd be really appreciated. Thank you.

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #1,548 of 2,219
So I got my M3S from musictek on November last year. Haven't used it for awhile (about more than a month), I took the m3s out of the drawer today and found out that the control wheel isn't working well at all. While I can still roll it up and down, I just couldn't press it anymore. There's no click when I try to press it, feel like the wheel is just stucked. Also the machine keeps select stuffs (usually I have to click the wheel to do it) by itself.

I've already sent messages to musictek and waiting for their reply, but if anybody has an idea how to fix it I'd be really appreciated. Thank you.
Earlier in the thread Shanling stated that there was a batch of bad wheels that had shipped out. I got one of those and had to ship mine back to Musicteck. Sounds like you got one too. I think you will have to get a replacement. My button pushed in and never popped out.

Mar 1, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #1,549 of 2,219
Earlier in the thread Shanling stated that there was a batch of bad wheels that had shipped out. I got one of those and had to ship mine back to Musicteck. Sounds like you got one too. I think you will have to get a replacement. My button pushed in and never popped out.

I'm still trying to figure out whether I need to worry about my scroll wheel. It hasn't failed outright, but it has become sticky. (Registering multiple presses when I press it once), but I don't know if that's the early phase of what will ultimately be the "pushed in and never popped out" situation.

Mar 5, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #1,552 of 2,219
@Shanling I found out that M3s does not display some polish letters.
Polish in Menu works Fine, but filenames and tags look like this - should be "Światło":

ADDIG8g.jpg
XfwwO7C.jpg

Tried changing FW from 1.3 to 1.2, no effect. M1 displays everything perfectly.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #1,553 of 2,219
Quite interesting little players. M3S is quite slim, just a little bigger than ipod nano, and it can get pretty loud. I don't even raise the volume that much whereas other players I have almost double. Considering how small it is, quite intriguiging.

M1-3s all have usb DAC feature that just works when plugged to windows. Although, not touch screen, pretty responsive and ui is better than I expected of a brand I never heard of. It seems like they made sure good functioning of software.

I like the size of these players, and the low-end response you get from them. The player damps the bass of the Andro. Could be one of the good matches due to it's clear bass response. It's a clear sounding player given Andro can be a bit on the warm side depending on the source.

Overall, when I listen to it, I get that musical feel with certain tracks. Sounds a bit different from other players.

There's slight treble prominance of a narrow band I can hear, can bring out slight sibilance to certain recordings, but not in quantity as it's a narrow band. What this does is boost clarity and articulation. It's a good player for the price point. I think it's more musical than others I've heard at the price point.

It does have that ambient feel sounds to them we refer to as sound stage.

I would carry their players around due to compact size and sound quality. and of course the usb DAC feature that immedately works.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #1,554 of 2,219
Quite interesting little players. M3S is quite slim, just a little bigger than ipod nano, and it can get pretty loud. I don't even raise the volume that much whereas other players I have almost double. Considering how small it is, quite intriguiging.

M1-3s all have usb DAC feature that just works when plugged to windows. Although, not touch screen, pretty responsive and ui is better than I expected of a brand I never heard of. It seems like they made sure good functioning of software.

I like the size of these players, and the low-end response you get from them. The player damps the bass of the Andro. Could be one of the good matches due to it's clear bass response. It's a clear sounding player given Andro can be a bit on the warm side depending on the source.

Overall, when I listen to it, I get that musical feel with certain tracks. Sounds a bit different from other players.

There's slight treble prominance of a narrow band I can hear, can bring out slight sibilance to certain recordings, but not in quantity as it's a narrow band. It's a good player for the price point. I think it's more musical than others I've heard at the price point.

It does have that ambient feel sounds to them we refer to as sound stage.

I love the M3s, it is my go to portable DAP when I workout or quick on the go set up. It fits perfectly into a Smartphone armband I purchased. That and the Shanling house sound has me all the way.

Slight boost in bass, rich full sound, with good sound stage, and flawless streaming via BT. It is the one to beat (IMO), at this price point.

Mar 6, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #1,555 of 2,219
I love the M3s, it is my go to portable DAP when I workout or quick on the go set up. It fits perfectly into a Smartphone armband I purchased. That and the Shanling house sound has me all the way.

Slight boost in bass, rich full sound, with good sound stage, and flawless streaming via BT. It is the one to beat (IMO), at this price point.
Yeah, sound is different from what I've heard, and it's different from what people label as "neutral" sounding players. It does provide that warmth people may like in the low end, and a bit of a treble articulation, so it's slight V type response(or at least brings it out of the Andro). Nice size for armband for sure.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #1,556 of 2,219
Another thing I'd add is that battery doesn't drain on standby just like Opus #2. All 3 utilizes the most recent usb-c connections.

Anyway, I have bit of history with audiophile DAPs in begining stages with really bad software, and we came a long way. Shanling just works. That's refreshing.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #1,558 of 2,219
Anybody heard the M5? Is this Shanling's TOTL? Didn't see a thread on it. I'm curious what the difference in sound would be.

I have it, I love it and until the Opus#2, it was my ref DAP. I think it provides slightly more of what the M3s does...more detail, more clarity, as good of a bass sound and excellent clarity. I still use it a good bit, but after the M3s and #2. I am waiting for an M5s...and I will jump on it. The M5 is very, very good and still flies under the radar, IMO.

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #1,559 of 2,219
Of all of the DAPs I own or have owned the M1s and M3s are my favs. Shanling's implementation of the AK DACs is special -- particularly with the M3s. I've never heard a DAP that was that clear, also be that musical. Both DAPs have a way of pulling me into my music and engaging me in a way that others simply haven't. Can't wait for what the M5s has on offer.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #1,560 of 2,219
I have it, I love it and until the Opus#2, it was my ref DAP. I think it provides slightly more of what the M3s does...more detail, more clarity, as good of a bass sound and excellent clarity. I still use it a good bit, but after the M3s and #2. I am waiting for an M5s...and I will jump on it. The M5 is very, very good and still flies under the radar, IMO.
Yep I am patiently awaiting an M5S but using my M1 exclusively right now as my mobile rig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back