Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Nov 25, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #1,141 of 2,219
Loved your review! Any chance you could ask @Shanling if they plan to make the balanced out a true Line Out or if that’s even possible? Just curious because I’ve already ordered it anyways. I have one amp that could benefit from that.
Shanling reps are on the thread I am sure they will respond. The M3s is a great DAP...enjoy it!

Nov 25, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #1,143 of 2,219
Does line-out on the M3S do anything other than max the volume, anyway?

Line Out is typically a direct output of DAC prior to head amp circut. You use it to bypass internal amp to pair up with an external one so you can either color your sound [differently] or boost the output.

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #1,145 of 2,219
Hi everyone.
I'm quite new here. I've got a M3s coming my way. Could please someone tell me what type of memory cards are compatible with this DAP?
Are SDXC or SDHC ok? Got a few 128GB under my eye.:slight_smile:
Any help appreciated. Thanks:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #1,146 of 2,219
Hi everyone.
I'm quite new here. I've got a M3s coming my way. Could please someone tell me what type of memory cards are compatible with this DAP?

It's probably best to use a name-brand MicroSD card.
I haven't received my M3s yet, but I do know that in my M1 & M2s, the SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SDXC Memory Card (SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A), from Amazon works just fine.
Others prefer to use the more expensive 256GB Samsung EVO+ MicroSDXC cards.

Nov 25, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #1,147 of 2,219
Nov 25, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #1,148 of 2,219
Line Out is typically a direct output of DAC prior to head amp circut. You use it to bypass internal amp to pair up with an external one so you can either color your sound [differently] or boost the output.

Yes, I'm aware, but isn't it common on DAPs without a dedicated line-out jack to just max the volume when engaging a "line-out" setting?

Nov 25, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #1,149 of 2,219
Yes, I'm aware, but isn't it common on DAPs without a dedicated line-out jack to just max the volume when engaging a "line-out" setting?

Shanling will have to confirm since I don't know their exact design architecture, perhaps they are using a switch or something. I don't think it's common with many daps to max out the volume for LO since you will run into clipping along with double amping.

Nov 25, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #1,150 of 2,219
Shanling will have to confirm since I don't know their exact design architecture, perhaps they are using a switch or something. I don't think it's common with many daps to max out the volume for LO since you will run into clipping along with double amping.

The Cayin N3 does exactly that (maxs the volume in line-out mode). They can do this because their line-out is 1V, rather than the more typical 2V. Still goes through an amplifier stage, though, albeit without EQ.

Nov 25, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #1,152 of 2,219
Nov 27, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #1,154 of 2,219
What drivers is everyone/anyone using for Windows 10 USB DAC functionality? The drivers off the shanling site are giving a error 10 "can't start error", after being installed and are from 2015.

Do those drivers only work.for windows 7amd 8.1?

Works fully with Windows 10.

Also on latest Windows 10 updates, the ones supporting USB 2.0, I was able to run it without any additional drivers.

:metal:

I'm using Sandisk SDXC 200GB in my players without any problem

So, it's not a true lineout...?

Must confirm that on M1, M2s and M3s it's not "true lineout", only setting for maximum volume.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 27, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #1,155 of 2,219
Hi Shanling,

I'm confused by what you guys are describing as 'true line out' vs 'not true line out'. So questions:

Can the M3s be connected to another amp (traditional line out)? Can the M3s be connected to another dac/amp (digital line out)?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back