Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Sep 8, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #151 of 2,219
Anyone here tried the Ibasso DX80 and could kindly compare them to current Shanling DAPs in terms of sound quality and signature? I also have my eyes set on them.

Sep 8, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #152 of 2,219
Anyone here tried the Ibasso DX80 and could kindly compare them to current Shanling DAPs in terms of sound quality and signature? I also have my eyes set on them.
Actually, maybe I'll wait for the M3s instead. I've read of inconsistencies that plague the Ibasso DAP, and they scare me. I just want something that works, you know? From my recent experiences of the newly released Fiio X3 III, I've realized that I don't want to be a beta tester of buggy firmware. I mean, really, who does?

Sep 8, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #153 of 2,219
A/B testing the Cayin N3 with the Shanling M5, the Cayin is more relaxed in the treble. The M5 has more activity in that region. It's still smooth, but the Shanling seems more high-mid, low-treble forward than the Cayin, which I'd describe as neutral with a warm tilt. I think I might prefer the Cayin house sound (if that's what it is) over Shanling's but the M5 has a much better UI than the N3. If Cayin is working on a competitor to the M3s, with a balanced out, better UI and sound profile that's refined to be more like the N3, then I might wait for that instead.

I can't keep ping-ponging between DAP makers!

Sep 8, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #154 of 2,219
A/B testing the Cayin N3 with the Shanling M5, the Cayin is more relaxed in the treble. The M5 has more activity in that region. It's still smooth, but the Shanling seems more high-mid, low-treble forward than the Cayin, which I'd describe as neutral with a warm tilt. I think I might prefer the Cayin house sound (if that's what it is) over Shanling's but the M5 has a much better UI than the N3. If Cayin is working on a competitor to the M3s, with a balanced out, better UI and sound profile that's refined to be more like the N3, then I might wait for that instead.

I can't keep ping-ponging between DAP makers!
You bring up a good point. I love my N3 and I'm pretty sure a second gen N5 and 6 are probably around the corner, but don't have any clue when. If Cayin did put out something similar to the M3s I could be swayed to stay with Cayin, but it will all come down to timing i suppose, but the M3s looks very promising. Can't wait to hear some impressions once it hits the market.

Sep 8, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #155 of 2,219
How I hate waiting. Just purchased the Fidelio L2s and the only DAPs I have to pair with it when it arrives are the Fiio X1 and my old Walkman. It deserves better. One more month of waiting.

I do hope it'll be worth it. :)

Sep 9, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #156 of 2,219
I personally enjoyed my time with the Cayin i5 in terms of sound; and like the horse race between Shanling and Cayin. I could see owning Cayin products in my future also; but I think Shanling wins the user interface game at this point.

Of course feeding a Chord Mojo with the Shanling line is also a nice option....

Sep 9, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #157 of 2,219
I personally enjoyed my time with the Cayin i5 in terms of sound; and like the horse race between Shanling and Cayin. I could see owning Cayin products in my future also; but I think Shanling wins the user interface game at this point.

Of course feeding a Chord Mojo with the Shanling line is also a nice option....

I agree that shanling is doing very well when it comes to total user experience and price to performance ratio.

And when you need to take it to the next level, there's always Mojo :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #158 of 2,219
What I don't want to do is constantly be reaching into my pocket to select songs while Im out walking or acting like a touchscreen zombie not looking where I'm going. But still have ability to skip a few with a wheel or buttons. Often I only even want to hear one or two songs off an album anyway.
For me, I always hold my DAP in my hand when I'm using it. I've never kept it in my pocket or my bag, so changing songs on the fly isn't cumbersome, as it's second nature to me. Even though the M2S is small, I've never liked the idea of pocketing a DAP. So, no matter how big the stack, I always hold them in my hands. This of course invites many unwanted stares - I've had a woman look at me as though I was carrying a science experiment.

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #159 of 2,219
For me, I always hold my DAP in my hand when I'm using it. I've never kept it in my pocket or my bag, so changing songs on the fly isn't cumbersome, as it's second nature to me. Even though the M2S is small, I've never liked the idea of pocketing a DAP. So, no matter how big the stack, I always hold them in my hands. This of course invites many unwanted stares - I've had a woman look at me as though I was carrying a science experiment.

Same here, bro. My DAPs stay in my hands. Rarely in my pockets...

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #160 of 2,219
I agree that shanling is doing very well when it comes to total user experience and price to performance ratio.

And when you need to take it to the next level, there's always Mojo :wink:
It helps that they are the same size, too! Makes using them together a piece of cake.

Hmm. Maybe Shanling was thinking of that when designing the M2S. :thinking:

And I was waiting, quietly, for the new Sony A40 to buy it without a doubt ... and Shanling comes out with this beauty. Shame on You, Shanling :beyersmile: !!!
According to your expert opinion, are the two players comparable?

ferdi
The Sony A45 is another DAP that has caught my eye. I'm afraid I might end up buying both the M3S and the A45. I simply can't decide between either.

This audio hobby is all consuming! :astonished:

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #161 of 2,219

Especially with the very odd looking ones like Alien or A&K (Need to break out the 90's cargo shorts or a fanny pack for Kann lol...) - at least it is less suspicious than an amp stack!

Only 10 years ago everyone was using iPods, portable CD players and music gadgets with all sorts of oddball shapes, now only retrograde weirdos.. oh well, catch me still rocking portaPros in 2050.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #162 of 2,219
Especially with the very odd looking ones like Alien or A&K (Need to break out the 90's cargo shorts or a fanny pack for Kann lol...) - at least it is less suspicious than an amp stack! Only 10 years ago everyone was using iPods, portable CD players and music gadgets with all sorts of oddball shapes, now we're weirdos :shrug:
4rock-fanny-pack-1.jpg

Sep 9, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #163 of 2,219

Just curious... how old are you? I turn 40 in a couple years and my fondest memories are of carrying a Sony Walkman in my hoodie or jacket pocket in the late 80's and early 90's. I've waited 20 years to have that experience in my pocket again but even more portable. I used to make mixtapes and the only thing I had to do with my hands was reach in and fast forward. Often I'd use 120 minute long play tapes. Less resolution but more "storage." I look forward to the day when I can use a smartwatch app to control my dap while using wireless headphones. As an adult I find myself wanting to listen to music while mowing the lawn or edging or any other "adulting" tasks. Washing dishes and cleaning my kitchen. (Wife works at home so I cant always just blast the stereo) Also... when I have to spend time with my in-laws... (shudder) I can hide my dap in my pocket and be in my own little wireless world without anyone getting pissy. Most of them don't even notice.

(It's also difficult to do work while carrying stuff in my hands... which is when I often want to be listening to music.)

I want the convenience of being able to do as much as possible without having to pull out a screen and do the smartphone zombie routine. It annoys people. It also wastes time. If I can skip between songs and albums in my pocket its a lot faster than having to pull it out and mess with a touchscreen. Not to mention here in Houston we have REALLY badly maintained sidewalks. I've nearly killed my knees a few times trying to switch albums on my phone while walking.

We also have our fair share of crime. I don't want to be caught by surprise and end up having to punch someone with my dap clutched in my fist. :)

-- That actually happened to me with a walkman in the early 90's. It also pulled my (non removable) headphone cable out... breaking it.

(Or be in the middle of enjoying my tunes only to have someone rip it out of my hands and run off with it.)

I think this is why the "professional" DAP world hasn't been able to overcome Apple so far. The small community of people who care about "absolute sound quality" don't seem to understand any use cases other than their own. The other 98.9% of us aren't considering listening to music being the PRIMARY activity. That doesn't mean they don't appreciate sound quality... but if it hinders the other things they have to be doing then it's the first thing to go.

This is one reason I'd like to see DAP reviews get both professional AND user ratings.

Edit: Just thought about this but... no one in their right mind would carry an expensive DAP out where it can be seen. (Like on the bus in Houston) You might lose your life right alongside your DAP when they follow you somewhere.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #165 of 2,219
I just realized these use the same DAC chips as the Fiio X5 III. Hmm, interesting. I wonder how they'll compare sound-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back