Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Feb 21, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #1,517 of 2,219
@Joe Bloggs I restructured my music library with less folders per path, but more paths in general. Instead of having 100 artist folders, I sorted music by genre which results in less folders in each folder (it may sound confusing :confounded:). This file reordering fixed the bug. For your software debugging team I would advise to create about 60 folders in the root level of the memory card (put at least 50 tracks in each folder), this should recreate the bug I had.

Update: Volume adjustments via Hiby app are inconsistent and don't work half the time. However other media control functions (play/pause, forward/back, track selection) do perform well. Perhaps the Hiby software team should look at this.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #1,519 of 2,219
How good is the M3S? Can it replace my OPUS #1?

I'm glad you asked :)

Just posted my M3s full review, including a number of comparisons HERE.

shanling_m3s-14.jpg

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #1,522 of 2,219
How does the M3S pair with the Campfire Andromedas?

I've heard it is a good pairing, but wanted to make sure. I understand that it can help bring out the bass a bit more on the Andromedas?

If it's not a good pairing, can you suggest something under $800 that is?

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #1,523 of 2,219
I'm glad you asked :)

Just posted my M3s full review, including a number of comparisons HERE.

I was trying to decide between this and the Cayin N3. Based on your review, if I don't need more power via balanced I should go with the N3 as the sound quality is extremely similar? I definitely don't need the extra power and would probably never use the balanced output of the m3s.

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #1,524 of 2,219
IMO N3 is close to the M2s, similar signature and SQ. M3s is less bassy, but IMO provide better detail level and slightly wider soundstage (due to lower amount of bass and better control).
IMHO comparing SQ M3s>M1>N3=M2s. But it depends on your headphones very much. N3 would be a great DAP for Etymotic-like IEM for example, bass heavy headphones find better synergy with M1.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #1,525 of 2,219
IMO N3 is close to the M3s, similar signature and SQ. M3s is less bassy, but IMO provide better detail level and slightly wider soundstage (due to lower amount of bass and better control).
IMHO comparing SQ M3s>M1>N3=M2s. But it depends on your headphones very much. N3 would be a great DAP for Etymotic-like IEM for example, bass heavy headphones find better synergy with M1.

Funny you mention the Etymotic, as my iem is going to be the Massdrop Plus which is similar to the Etymotic er4xr/sr with better sub bass extension/slight boost. So not really bass heavy and the treble can be a bit fatiguing if the DAP has any treble nasties or is elevated (like my DX90, hence the reason I'm looking for a new DAP).

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #1,526 of 2,219
M2s is the most bassy one, M1 ist the neutral one. M3s is somewhere between, let's say 60-70% from M1 to M2s.
Depending on the preferences to less bass headphones have, the better M2s is.

Right now I have Aune E1, "prototype" Aune IEMs. They have a little less bass than RHA MA750, but much more and much better midrange and trebles (one the the best trebles heard in IEMs) and they are perfect with M3s.
Very bass heavy and dominant headphones IMO won't play well with M3s, but these headphones won't be good at all for me :)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #1,528 of 2,219
I have M3s since 2 days. Comparing to M1 the progress is significant. Bass is more punchy and powerful but it does not dominate as in M2s. More detail, more power, better battery life - amazing stuff.
I have found only one flaw - when I start music and amp starts (I can hear "click") the first second (more less is cut). Later there is no problem, even changing music is perfectly working. Only when I set pause for about 30 seconds or more - then after pressing play again 1 sec of song is cut. But it is very small bug and it does not distract me form listening.

M3s + Aune E1 = 10/10 portable rig and the end of my research.

It's delay in audio circuit, so any time it's activated, this delay will occur. I think it's only noticeable if you are starting new song(compared to restarting playback after some pause) and in that case just quick press of previous button will bring it back to normal.

IMO N3 is close to the M3s, similar signature and SQ. M3s is less bassy, but IMO provide better detail level and slightly wider soundstage (due to lower amount of bass and better control).

I think you wanted to say M2s is the one being close to N3? :)

M3s is the most bassy one, M1 ist the neutral one. M3s is somewhere between, let's say 60-70% from M1 to M2s.
Depending on the preferences to less bass headphones have, the better M2s is.

I see you have little problem with our naming scheme :wink: , because I don't think anybody considers M3s to be the most bassy one. :)

How does the M3S pair with the Campfire Andromedas?

I've heard it is a good pairing, but wanted to make sure. I understand that it can help bring out the bass a bit more on the Andromedas?

If it's not a good pairing, can you suggest something under $800 that is?

M3s has low impedance at 0.3 ohm (0.6 on balanced out), which would bring Andromeda to its more bassy and smooth side than sources with higher output impedance.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 23, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #1,529 of 2,219
It's delay in audio circuit, so any time it's activated, this delay will occur. I think it's only noticeable if you are starting new song(compared to restarting playback after some pause) and in that case just quick press of previous button will bring it back to normal.

M1 does not have such delay. It looks like the AMP starts working too late (I can hear the click). I am not a programmer or electronic designer etc. But maybe it is possible to start playing music 1 second later than now, after initializing the AMP. I am just curious if it is a matter of software.

Also there is a small problem with wheel precision. Sometimes it goes one position too much (f.e. one "turn" up causes volume raise 2 points or it goes 2 positions in Menu). M1 had similar issue, but in other direction - sometimes you need to turn wheel 2 times to change position (some turns are "not detected").

I think you wanted to say M2s is the one being close to N3? :)
I see you have little problem with our naming scheme :wink: , because I don't think anybody considers M3s to be the most bassy one. :)

Yessss, my mistake. M2s is the bassy one, M3s is in between, going to correct it! Brain and keyboard are not always cooperating :D

Feb 23, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #1,530 of 2,219
Hi,

I found that m3s with my Sony XB90EX it's not bassy at all compared to xb90ex with my phone + Viper4Android + Poweramp, when there is just BOOM in your head :) i know that my Sony headphone are not high level IEMs but they are one of the most bass heavy iems so yeah with m3s they sound clear but without this heavy solid bass.

Can someone help me out how to sort my music by albums? main thing when go on Play All the songs are mixed insted of alphabetically Album order. I didnt create any playlist just clicked play all but thought they will get sorted by albums

Users who are viewing this thread

Back