Shanling M2 DAP
Jan 12, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #1,189 of 1,348
  @Shanling  I see you have released again the 3.0 version of the firmware on your website ;

So I decided to give it another chance after the first attempt was not so good on your last release;

After update I still have the same issue I had initially;
  1. Boot after update always shows a white screen after boot logo (only volume action shows the proper image) - (Work around to permanently correct this issue is to connect DAP to PC throught USB afterwards no white screen after boot)
  2. After about 4 to 8 minutes of playing system stops playing as if the music was stopped; I have done several tests regarding this, low gain, hi gain, all shutdown setting off/on, factory reset, so success to have a proper continuous play;

This were the only really big issues I'm finding in the 3.0 firmware so I will downgrade again to 2.1;

@Shanling

Regarding
  • Will try to upgrade firmware with a clean card to check if issue persists;
  • The abnormal auto stop was not solved after restore to factory, this is the very first thing I do in every firmware update when I manually upgrade my equipments to properly test them without any issue caused by older firmware configurations; But maybe it can be correlated with the first point so I will give another test drive;

Thanks for the reply;

Been having a lot of lockups with the current firmware lately.  Would love to know if there is a new firmware in the works?

@Dark Helmet are you issues regarding the new firmware any like the above I have been experiencing?;

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #1,190 of 1,348

@Dark Helmet are you issues regarding the new firmware any like the above I have been experiencing?;

I had the white screen once.  What happens to me, and it's mainly in line out mode, is that the M2 will lock up after being on pause for about 30sec or so.  I have to reset it and it works again. Just now on power up it only had part of the library active so I had to update media library.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #1,191 of 1,348
  I had the white screen once.  What happens to me, and it's mainly in line out mode, is that the M2 will lock up after being on pause for about 30sec or so.  I have to reset it and it works again. Just now on power up it only had part of the library active so I had to update media library.

After resolving my previous issues, I could replicate a similar issue as yours;

In my test scenario I'm playing directly from M2 not throught line out, after pausing music the third/fourth time (my setting are to shutdown after one inactive minute) so after the 3rd/4th pause-start up cycle after shudown I could not start up M2, only after reset; In my case I did not have any library loss (that I could check);

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #1,192 of 1,348
At one time or another most of my players "glitch out".  The most reliable player has been my FIIO X3II.  My Shanlings "funk out" in various ways from time to time.  But they have their own charms nonetheless.

Then again, my phone goes haywire periodically (its an iphone).

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #1,193 of 1,348
  At one time or another most of my players "glitch out".  The most reliable player has been my FIIO X3II.  My Shanlings "funk out" in various ways from time to time.  But they have their own charms nonetheless.

Then again, my phone goes haywire periodically (its an iphone).

@originalsnuffy sorry if I will seem a little harsh in my response but; No one here is saying that the M2 as not it's charms if there weren't any I would not insist in this DAP, but nevertheless there are issues and are recurrent; Like you said most DAPs "glitch out" and the common denominator it most of those firmwares is HiBy software's.

People are too permissive about the issues primarily regarding software issue and they just live with that;But since this is not a "cheap" hobby this kind of issues should be addressed

I speak for myself has I'm a software developer, but software issues and bugs are correctable and so we are just addressing the same issues to shanling representative in the forum; In most of the issues I reported I could replicate them in a methodic way in which could be replicated by software developers.

For example an iPhone if the bug is replicated and the root cause is an issue in iPhone core and not associated with third parties it is resolved fairly quickly;

So even though shanling M2 is a great device there are some issues that must be addressed since formating SDCard constantly to avoid for example the white screen in upgrade for 3.0, BSOD after 3/4 cycles pausing/start up, etc;

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #1,194 of 1,348

Well, it is not that disagree with you.   Bugs should preferably be eradicated.  But I have come to accept that our hobby involves what are often niche products from companies with limited resources.   So I have come to "roll with the punches" a bit.

For example, I reset the M2 all the time.  It is just one of those things.   But it sounds so darn good with many of my IEMs.  It is really hard to beat when paired with the FLC8S.  So smooth, so musical, yet highly detailed.  For that matter, every time I put in the FLC8S i push in the ULF filters just to make sure they are in there good and tight.  Again, just one of those things.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #1,195 of 1,348

Well, it is not that disagree with you.   Bugs should preferably be eradicated.  But I have come to accept that our hobby involves what are often niche products from companies with limited resources.   So I have come to "roll with the punches" a bit.

For example, I reset the M2 all the time.  It is just one of those things.   But it sounds so darn good with many of my IEMs.  It is really hard to beat when paired with the FLC8S.  So smooth, so musical, yet highly detailed.  For that matter, every time I put in the FLC8S i push in the ULF filters just to make sure they are in there good and tight.  Again, just one of those things.

That is why I can't give up on the shanling M2 because it sound so good lol

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #1,196 of 1,348
Just did a quick search regarding opamps on the thread...
I saw Muses 02 mentioned and is it possible to insert this one inside and is it working OK if anyone rolled it in ?

Also, for some reason mW into 16 ohm not listed in the spec....does anyone know if the mW output goes up from the 32 ohm rating or down the way around standard 16ohms?

Looking into the Aeon planar headphone and its rated at 14 ohms (!) and ideally needs a minimum of 200mW per channel...300 ideal.
Just wonder if this DAP alone would bring a decent player sound without stacking an amp with it....

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #1,197 of 1,348

the Flc8s+M2 combo is madness! I've have yet to hear something that sounds as vivid at the price range, like akin to watching a blu-ray performance of Les Miserables. I also tried the L/O and plugged my Alo Rx, and it gave a smoother signature (seemed to perceive more details without) but the layering at this point became seriously insane --- like having at least two layers of stage being transposed in a holographic projection!

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #1,198 of 1,348
Just did a quick search regarding opamps on the thread...
I saw Muses 02 mentioned and is it possible to insert this one inside and is it working OK if anyone rolled it in ?

Also, for some reason mW into 16 ohm not listed in the spec....does anyone know if the mW output goes up from the 32 ohm rating or down the way around standard 16ohms?

Looking into the Aeon planar headphone and its rated at 14 ohms (!) and ideally needs a minimum of 200mW per channel...300 ideal.
Just wonder if this DAP alone would bring a decent player sound without stacking an amp with it....
http://www.head-fi.org/t/833820/aeon-mrspeakers-new-closed-back-planar-magnetic-headphone/15#post_13219767

Feb 11, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #1,199 of 1,348
http://www.head-fi.org/t/833820/aeon-mrspeakers-new-closed-back-planar-magnetic-headphone/15#post_13219767

Not so clear-cut..
Some amps go up or down in power as you move from 32 ohms to 16 ohms depending on the way their power curve is designed in.

The mWatts curve is not published on this amp unfortunately and to contact the company you need to call them per their main website.

Thanks anyway.
I'll just hold off till someone tries the 2 on release of Aeon with its 14 ohms impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back