Shanling M2 DAP
Apr 6, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #616 of 1,348
Lol.. Don't feel bad.. I justify my purchases for the most ridiculous reasons.. It is a shiny color, it has a Muses chip, or it has BBE effects.. Any reason to buy something new..

Yes me too..I kind of an addiction I think although so far this year I haven't purchased nearly as much stuff as I did by this time last year. I'm interested in the Fiio X3ii now simply because they now have it in black...how ridiculous is that? Although I was thinking of getting one for the car..
wink_face.gif

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #617 of 1,348

Yes me too..I kind of an addiction I think although so far this year I haven't purchased nearly as much stuff as I did by this time last year. I'm interested in the Fiio X3ii now simply because they now have it in black...how ridiculous is that? Although I was thinking of getting one for the car..
wink_face.gif

I hear you. I keep waffling on the M2 but the different colours adds an extra incentive
wink.gif
. I can't decide if I should just get a cheap Xduoo x3 for now, or go all in on something like the Shanlings or Cayin (still can't find anywhere in the GWN selling the M players though)
BTW I still prefer the standard X3ii finish

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #618 of 1,348
Yes me too..I kind of an addiction I think although so far this year I haven't purchased nearly as much stuff as I did by this time last year. I'm interested in the Fiio X3ii now simply because they now have it in black...how ridiculous is that? Although I was thinking of getting one for the car..:wink_face:

I hear you. I am running out of options to buy.. I've already owned all the big name players less than $500.. So now either I have to step up to the big leagues or just be happy with what I have.. Because honestly, After getting the M2, I haven't gotten an itch for a new player other than the new M5, and that's primarily because of the specs.. If it wasn't for it, I would be completely satisfied with not buying another DAP until the next gen players. Like the Fiio X3 3rd gen or the X1 2nd gen, or Fiio X5 3rd gen. But who knows when those will come around so I think I may be done with buying for a while.. Wow.. This sucks.. Lol.. Because honestly, there is the Luxury & Precision L3 for $399, and the Questyle QP1 for $599, and the Fiio Q5 DAC/AMP that is due later this year.. So I think I have a few months before I will buying anything again.. Wow.. First time I've ever though about that.. Crazy.. Lol.

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #619 of 1,348
I hear you. I keep waffling on the M2 but the different colours adds an extra incentive:wink: . I can't decide if I should just get a cheap Xduoo x3 for now, or go all in on something like the Shanlings or Cayin (still can't find anywhere in the GWN selling the M players though)

I agree, the new Silver M2 looks fantastic!! I want that one over the Black one I got.. But of course it comes out after I buy the Black one. Lol

The Xduoo X3 is supposed to be a very competent player judging by what everyone says about it.. Just make sure you don't want to adjust the EQ, because there isn't an EQ to mess with.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #620 of 1,348
I agree, the new Silver M2 looks fantastic!! I want that one over the Black one I got.. But of course it comes out after I buy the Black one. Lol

The Xduoo X3 is supposed to be a very competent player judging by what everyone says about it.. Just make sure you don't want to adjust the EQ, because there isn't an EQ to mess with.

The only reason I'm even looking at the xduoo is because of the 2 sd slots - hint for Shanling, add 2 card slots to your next player please.

The other thing that keeps me from already owning a m2 is I'm not really sure it'll offer much of a difference over my x3/e12a combo. The e12a uses a Muse opamp so I have to imagine there will be similarity in sq (house sound if you will)

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #621 of 1,348
The only reason I'm even looking at the xduoo is because of the 2 sd slots - hint for Shanling, add 2 card slots to your next player please.

The other thing that keeps me from already owning a m2 is I'm not really sure it'll offer much of a difference over my x3/e12a combo. The e12a uses a Muse opamp so I have to imagine there will be similarity in sq (house sound if you will)

Yes, the M2 has a very similar sound signature to the E12A.. If you already have the E12A and the Fiio X3ii, I wouldn't downgrade to the Xudoo.. And please don't mistake when I say a downgrade, I don't mean a drastic downgrade.. I only mean in terms of screen and lack of EQ, other than that, You're still keeping the CS4398, and ability to pair it with the E12A. Which will make everything all better.. A word of warning, if you do plan on utilizing both sdcard a to the max.. Do yourself a favor and put everything neatly into folders, so you can find everything easily. Because with that UI, it would be a pain to sift through..

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #622 of 1,348
Yes, the M2 has a very similar sound signature to the E12A.. If you already have the E12A and the Fiio X3ii, I wouldn't downgrade to the Xudoo.. And please don't mistake when I say a downgrade, I don't mean a drastic downgrade.. I only mean in terms of screen and lack of EQ, other than that, You're still keeping the CS4398, and ability to pair it with the E12A. Which will make everything all better.. A word of warning, if you do plan on utilizing both sdcard a to the max.. Do yourself a favor and put everything neatly into folders, so you can find everything easily. Because with that UI, it would be a pain to sift through..

Using a 1st gen. X3.

The xduoo has rockbox now, but I'm not exactly a fan of that either. This would either be a back-up system for when my x3 is on the charger. Even better is if I got an M2 or N5 (heck even an X5) and relegated my x3 to backup duties.

How is the database capabilities on the Shanling anyways? Any new features coming in future updates?

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #623 of 1,348
Using a 1st gen. X3.

The xduoo has rockbox now, but I'm not exactly a fan of that either. This would either be a back-up system for when my x3 is on the charger. Even better is if I got an M2 or N5 (heck even an X5) and relegated my x3 to backup duties.

How is the database capabilities on the Shanling anyways? Any new features coming in future updates?

As for the UI on the M2, I never have lag on it.
In terms of scrolling through music it's fairly intuitive and simple.. Only times I have an issue, is if I have the same album twice, one as a .flac and the other as a DSD format.. It just groups the two into one folder, however, if I browse by folder, as I have everything downloaded in to the player, then they are separated accordingly. And even then, it's easy to find everything.. Honestly almost exact same system as the Fiio X1, X3ii and X5ii. Just minor changes.. Before you go with the Xudoo or a Fiio X5ii, I would recommend at least auditioning an M2.. It is something that needs to be heard to hear and comprehend the difference.. But that comes with trying a lot of daps. If I read the difference, and I didn't ever try it, I would never know the difference existed.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #624 of 1,348
  I hear you. I keep waffling on the M2 but the different colours adds an extra incentive
wink.gif
. I can't decide if I should just get a cheap Xduoo x3 for now, or go all in on something like the Shanlings or Cayin (still can't find anywhere in the GWN selling the M players though)

I don't think I'd be interested in the Xduoo since it doesn't have album artwork displayed. I know the display on the X3ii isn't fantastic but at least something is there. I agree about the titanium finish too, it is nice but I do like the black too. I can't really go too far over that $200 limit either (or $300 in Canada :) So my choices are limited.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #625 of 1,348
I hear you. I am running out of options to buy.. I've already owned all the big name players less than $500.. So now either I have to step up to the big leagues or just be happy with what I have.. Because honestly, After getting the M2, I haven't gotten an itch for a new player other than the new M5, and that's primarily because of the specs.. If it wasn't for it, I would be completely satisfied with not buying another DAP until the next gen players. Like the Fiio X3 3rd gen or the X1 2nd gen, or Fiio X5 3rd gen. But who knows when those will come around so I think I may be done with buying for a while.. Wow.. This sucks.. Lol.. Because honestly, there is the Luxury & Precision L3 for $399, and the Questyle QP1 for $599, and the Fiio Q5 DAC/AMP that is due later this year.. So I think I have a few months before I will buying anything again.. Wow.. First time I've ever though about that.. Crazy.. Lol.

Have you tried a Pono yet? Seems all the hype over those had really died down.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #629 of 1,348
Well, I went ahead and ordered the M2 plus a gray case for it. I've been itching to do it so I did it. No cancelling the order this time either :)

Lol.. Cool.. You should really like it.. When you get it, give it a listen before you upgrade the Firmware to 2.0.. It gives you more control, but if you just want for it to do all the work, upgrade to 2.0, it is more forgiving with less extremes.. Which is positive for some, but not others.. I switch back and forth depending on my mood.. Plus prior to 2.0 you had a Battery Percentage in addition to the battery symbol.. I prefer it that way.. But I always have battery anxiety.. One of the things that the iBasso DX80 spoiled me on..

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #630 of 1,348
Lol.. Cool.. You should really like it.. When you get it, give it a listen before you upgrade the Firmware to 2.0.. It gives you more control, but if you just want for it to do all the work, upgrade to 2.0, it is more forgiving with less extremes.. Which is positive for some, but not others.. I switch back and forth depending on my mood.. Plus prior to 2.0 you had a Battery Percentage in addition to the battery symbol.. I prefer it that way.. But I always have battery anxiety.. One of the things that the iBasso DX80 spoiled me on..

Yes I'll try it before I upgrade...I'll be anxious to listen to it anyways so the upgrade can wait :) How did the DX80 spoil you regarding the battery? Is the battery percentage very accurate on that one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back