Shanling M2 DAP
Apr 2, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #601 of 1,348
First of all thank you @HiFiChris for your reply. I am mainly use my V-MODA Crossfade wireless and other 32ohms headphones.

Yep, the M2 would act as DAC and Amp (including volume control), but the playback would have to be controlled with the smartphone.

What headphones are you intending to use?

Imvho, the M2's Amp section lacks some dynamics and transparency when used with better in-ears (no multi-driver ones because of the output impedance, I'm speaking of singly dynamic driver stuff with flat impedance response like the IE 800), wherefore when used with IEMs, I find it to open up more when used with an external Amp over the Line Out (when testing, I properly volume-matched the amp on the LO vs. the headphone out). With full-sized headphones however, it sounds dynamic, transparent and powerful directly out of the headphone output (trust me, the M2 is very powerful).

When used with in-ears, I personally find the M2 to perform better with an amp that bypasses the internal amp.

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #604 of 1,348
Excellent!. BTW is it possible to use the M2 as a backup battery via USB?

Nope, it will even draw current form your smartphone. If you are primarily looking for a DAC-Amp to use with your smartphone and not for a standalone DAP, I would suggest to rather get a DAC-Amp with battery/charging disable switch like the JDS C5d or Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII.

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #605 of 1,348
Exactly how bad m2 will affect battery of phone it connects as DAC? I'm curious.

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #606 of 1,348
Not as much as things like the LH Labs Geek Out IEM 100 even with a powerbank, but it is noticeable. I am not sure, but it could probably be that with a USB cable that lacks the litzes for the power supply, it could be that it works without being charged by the smartphone.

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #607 of 1,348
Hey @nmatheis - Do you still have that Alo Rx amp? Holy Sweetmother, the M2 and the Alo Rx  pair INCREDIBLY WELL!!! 

I spend the last few nights listening to the M3, admiring how it fares well with well recorded moody jazz and some string music. I was rather underwhelmed at its delivery of Rock or Metal...but  yeah, I finally got around spending more "quality" time with the M2...

This DAP neeeeeeeeeeeeds or rather beeeeeeeeeeegs to be paired up with a spacious sounding amp to bring out soundstage. It then becomes a totally immersive experience!!!
As I'm trying to listen to this, it really makes a different impression when amped or not. Ouuuuuuuuuuuuf.... Special thank you @hakushondaimao for arranging this listen!

It's like 3 in the morning...and I feel really good lol..

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #608 of 1,348
I have paired my M2 with the new portable hybrid valve amp from IMS and it sounds very good indeed. Powerful and nice and mellow, great for jazz and instrumental music and also with some strident female vocals as the combo "tames" the stridency. Like this combo quite a bit. M3 still goes "as is" and puts a smile on my face, especially now that is has a slick red leather cover. 

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #609 of 1,348
I have paired my M2 with the new portable hybrid valve amp from IMS and it sounds very good indeed. Powerful and nice and mellow, great for jazz and instrumental music and also with some strident female vocals as the combo "tames" the stridency. Like this combo quite a bit. M3 still goes "as is" and puts a smile on my face, especially now that is has a slick red leather cover. 

My opinion, the Shanling M2 sounds the best when listening to recordings with low compression. The M2 really allows the sound to come to life. When listening to modern music, engineers compress the music way to tight, so it loses the depth music should have.. So when the recording has low compression, it allows the M2 to shine over most other players. Once again, my opinion with my usage with my equipment and music.. Your usage may vary...

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #610 of 1,348
My opinion, the Shanling M2 sounds the best when listening to recordings with low compression. The M2 really allows the sound to come to life. When listening to modern music, engineers compress the music way to tight, so it loses the depth music should have.. So when the recording has low compression, it allows the M2 to shine over most other players. Once again, my opinion with my usage with my equipment and music.. Your usage may vary...

I think I feel the same way about the M3, the latter being pickier than the M2.

Btw sledgeharvy, how does the hidiz ap100 compare to the m2?

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #611 of 1,348
I think I feel the same way about the M3, the latter being pickier than the M2.

Btw sledgeharvy, how does the hidiz ap100 compare to the m2?

Surprisingly, sonically they are pretty similar. The coolest part of it is the EQ button.. Which I find myself using a lot on all player.. But what the M2 does better is bring all the details in the background to the foreground.. For example, when you listen to vocals or the lead guitar, you can always hear the faint reverb on all players being produced from being in the room they were in while recording, but for some reason, it's more present on the M2.. Which I absolutely love.. I know it's not the player adding reverb because on parts that are supposed to be a staccato notes you hear the pause to silence.. It's amazing..
It's weird because once you hear the M2, it's hard to revert to other players, or at least for me and my earphones.. The DX80 I love SO much doesn't do it as good either.. Which sucks, because it's my favorite player in terms of form factor, UI, screen, etc.. But no matter how good those are, it's the sound that ultimately wins me over. What's horrible is the DX80 used to be my go to player for everything.
Another player that spoiled me was the Astell & Kern AK Jr. It also makes the natural fade of instruments very apparent in music. However, at twice the cost of the M2, it's hard for me to justify it to myself and others..
Last thing about the M2.. When I was first announced I saw it, and thought.. "Oooo!!! Pretty." But never looked at the specs.. So a few weeks ago, I did a search for the Cirrus Logic CS4398, and Muses then the M2 popped up.. So it caught my attention for that reason alone.. So I bought it, and what do you know.. It sounds as good as I was hoping it would, but it actually surpassed my expectations.. Because it gave me the more of everything I wanted out of a player..
Now what sucks is the M2 has a bigger brother.. The M5.. Which also uses the Muses 8920 but now uses the AKM AK4490 in place of the CS4398. Ugh.. So looks like there's one on my way.. Lol..

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #612 of 1,348
Surprisingly, sonically they are pretty similar. The coolest part of it is the EQ button.. Which I find myself using a lot on all player.. But what the M2 does better is bring all the details in the background to the foreground.. For example, when you listen to vocals or the lead guitar, you can always hear the faint reverb on all players being produced from being in the room they were in while recording, but for some reason, it's more present on the M2.. Which I absolutely love.. I know it's not the player adding reverb because on parts that are supposed to be a staccato notes you hear the pause to silence.. It's amazing..
It's weird because once you hear the M2, it's hard to revert to other players, or at least for me and my earphones.. The DX80 I love SO much doesn't do it as good either.. Which sucks, because it's my favorite player in terms of form factor, UI, screen, etc.. But no matter how good those are, it's the sound that ultimately wins me over. What's horrible is the DX80 used to be my go to player for everything.
Another player that spoiled me was the Astell & Kern AK Jr. It also makes the natural fade of instruments very apparent in music. However, at twice the cost of the M2, it's hard for me to justify it to myself and others..
Last thing about the M2.. When I was first announced I saw it, and thought.. "Oooo!!! Pretty." But never looked at the specs.. So a few weeks ago, I did a search for the Cirrus Logic CS4398, and Muses then the M2 popped up.. So it caught my attention for that reason alone.. So I bought it, and what do you know.. It sounds as good as I was hoping it would, but it actually surpassed my expectations.. Because it gave me the more of everything I wanted out of a player..
Now what sucks is the M2 has a bigger brother.. The M5.. Which also uses the Muses 8920 but now uses the AKM AK4490 in place of the CS4398. Ugh.. So looks like there's one on my way.. Lol..

I don't know if I ever asked you or not about the scroll wheel on the M2. How dos it feel? Sturdy? Like it would last a good long time? and how would it compare to the scroll wheel on the X3ii? Sony to bother you with all the questions but you're the best guy to ask :)

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #613 of 1,348
I don't know if I ever asked you or not about the scroll wheel on the M2. How dos it feel? Sturdy? Like it would last a good long time? and how would it compare to the scroll wheel on the X3ii? Sony to bother you with all the questions but you're the best guy to ask :)

The Scroll wheel is definitely better than the Fiio X5ii scroll wheel, and at least on par with the X3ii scroll wheel.. I will say that the X3ii has the best feeling scroll wheel, but because the Scroll wheel is smaller on the M2, and acts as a multi-function wheel, it is prone to accidental clicks rather than just scrolling like on the X3ii..

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #614 of 1,348
The Scroll wheel is definitely better than the Fiio X5ii scroll wheel, and at least on par with the X3ii scroll wheel.. I will say that the X3ii has the best feeling scroll wheel, but because the Scroll wheel is smaller on the M2, and acts as a multi-function wheel, it is prone to accidental clicks rather than just scrolling like on the X3ii..

Alright thanks. I was just curious as to how they compare...I get it in my mind occasionally that I might want to get the M2 so I'm always looking for an excuse to to move me in one direction or another...to buy or not to buy...

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #615 of 1,348
Alright thanks. I was just curious as to how they compare...I get it in my mind occasionally that I might want to get the M2 so I'm always looking for an excuse to to move me in one direction or another...to buy or not to buy...

Lol.. Don't feel bad.. I justify my purchases for the most ridiculous reasons.. It is a shiny color, it has a Muses chip, or it has BBE effects.. Any reason to buy something new..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back