Shanling M1s - Ideal Compact Portable Player
May 5, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #572 of 939
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 8, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #577 of 939
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 9, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #578 of 939
After reading a review of the Hiby R2 II I am starting to look at it as a real alternative not only to the M0 Pro but even the M1S. It is by far the cheapest option at $120 CDN vs $190 for M0 Pro and $309 for the M1S. The review indicates the M0 Pro and R2 II sound pretty much the same both using the ESS 9219C. The R2 II larger higher resolution screen is nice. It supports Tidal and Qobuz streaming unlike the M0 Pro which has no wifi and M1S which may or may not support Tidal at some point. The other thing that attracts me is I am not paying extra for a balanced output I don't need. I really don't want to buy a DAP and then new headphones to get the best sound experience. The other thing of course is the Hiby OS is better than Shanling's MTouch as well. My A55 drives my headphones great with its meager 35 mW per channel so 90 mW per channel from the R2 II is more than enough.

I keep reading that via SE the M1S is not a huge step up in sound quality over the M0 Pro so if the R2 II is in the same ballpark sound quality wise then that is also a plus. With MSEB how much could I tweak the sound to get even closer to the M1S?

The R2 II isn't readily available yet but I will be looking at some more reviews and comparisons between the 3 DAP's before I decide in the next few months.

Seriously I am glad I didn't pull the trigger on the M0 Pro with this little unit coming down the pipe. Much cheaper price, bigger higher res screen, actual side buttons, wifi and streaming services. The more I look at the R2 II the more I feel the M1S is simply overpriced for what you get and for features that are still missing. Especially if the sound quality is relatively close with tweaking available through MSEB.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #579 of 939
The R2 II isn't readily available yet....

...., but client complaints are. If you read the R2 thread you will learn that R2 battery likes to die overnight without any (known) reason. There are other problems too :thumbsdown:

I was happy to learn of the 3 new models coming to market this year, but so far my best decision seems to be refraining from buying any of them:worried:

R2 is indeed the cheapest small DAP, but it is an "all plastic" construction. IMHO, a big step backwards versus Gen.1 :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #580 of 939
...., but client complaints are. If you read the R2 thread you will learn that R2 battery likes to die overnight without any (known) reason. There are other problems too :thumbsdown:

I was happy to learn of the 3 new models coming to market this year, but so far my best decision seems to be refraining from buying any of them:worried:

R2 is indeed the cheapest small DAP, but it is an "all plastic" construction. IMHO, a big step backwards versus Gen.1 :thumbsdown:
Are you talking about the new R2 II or the older R2? I just started looking at the R2 II and just read this review https://headfonics.com/hiby-r2-ii-review. It really only became available in March I believe so to soon to tell if there is still an issue still with the battery. I was planning on waiting until Black Friday so any issues should come to light before then. I don't think there is even an R2 II thread yet. Both the M0 Pro and M1S have issues to iron out and they have been out longer especially the M0 Pro which has been out since late last year. I will be waiting and watching for any red flags for sure before deciding to get one.

May 9, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #581 of 939
After reading a review of the Hiby R2 II I am starting to look at it as a real alternative not only to the M0 Pro but even the M1S. It is by far the cheapest option at $120 CDN vs $190 for M0 Pro and $309 for the M1S. The review indicates the M0 Pro and R2 II sound pretty much the same both using the ESS 9219C. The R2 II larger higher resolution screen is nice. It supports Tidal and Qobuz streaming unlike the M0 Pro which has no wifi and M1S which may or may not support Tidal at some point. The other thing that attracts me is I am not paying extra for a balanced output I don't need. I really don't want to buy a DAP and then new headphones to get the best sound experience. The other thing of course is the Hiby OS is better than Shanling's MTouch as well. My A55 drives my headphones great with its meager 35 mW per channel so 90 mW per channel from the R2 II is more than enough.

I keep reading that via SE the M1S is not a huge step up in sound quality over the M0 Pro so if the R2 II is in the same ballpark sound quality wise then that is also a plus. With MSEB how much could I tweak the sound to get even closer to the M1S?

The R2 II isn't readily available yet but I will be looking at some more reviews and comparisons between the 3 DAP's before I decide in the next few months.

Seriously I am glad I didn't pull the trigger on the M0 Pro with this little unit coming down the pipe. Much cheaper price, bigger higher res screen, actual side buttons, wifi and streaming services. The more I look at the R2 II the more I feel the M1S is simply overpriced for what you get and for features that are still missing. Especially if the sound quality is relatively close with tweaking available through MSEB.
Only if the specs are a reality.

For example, The DLNA on the M1s is still sketchy at best. Airplay is flawless though.

M1s has better audio circuitry, better DAC, and balanced output. I wouldn’t put the Hiby R2 ii and M1s in direct competition. If reviews show the Hiby DLNA and airplay implementations work, this could be a better choice than the M0.

May 10, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #582 of 939
Only if the specs are a reality.

For example, The DLNA on the M1s is still sketchy at best. Airplay is flawless though.

M1s has better audio circuitry, better DAC, and balanced output. I wouldn’t put the Hiby R2 ii and M1s in direct competition. If reviews show the Hiby DLNA and airplay implementations work, this could be a better choice than the M0.
It isn't about the circuitry as much as how the DAP is tuned and DAP's with different DAC's can be tuned to sound virtually the same. I don't have balanced headphones which is a big attraction of the R2 II no wasted balanced output.

The reason I am looking at the R2 II and M0 Pro before it is I really don't care about wifi or streaming that much. I have almost 15000 of my own tracks to listen to. I just don't think the M1S is worth paying that much for, certainly not until issues are fixed and promised features are finally added if ever. I am more willing to take a flyer on a $120 DAP vs a $300 DAP like the M1S. Hiby is releasing the R2 II fully functional, none of this wait and see circle jerk for features like Shanling and the M1S.

I'll take 95% of the sound quality with the R2 II and a much better OS and all the features I need for roughly $200 less than the M1S. I still have my A55 with custom firmware and use if for home use and whichever DAP I get will be my travel DAP which is why I won't spend a ton on it in case something happens to it.

May 10, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #583 of 939
Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #584 of 939
It isn't about the circuitry as much as how the DAP is tuned and DAP's with different DAC's can be tuned to sound virtually the same. I don't have balanced headphones which is a big attraction of the R2 II no wasted balanced output.

The reason I am looking at the R2 II and M0 Pro before it is I really don't care about wifi or streaming that much. I have almost 15000 of my own tracks to listen to. I just don't think the M1S is worth paying that much for, certainly not until issues are fixed and promised features are finally added if ever. I am more willing to take a flyer on a $120 DAP vs a $300 DAP like the M1S. Hiby is releasing the R2 II fully functional, none of this wait and see circle jerk for features like Shanling and the M1S.

I'll take 95% of the sound quality with the R2 II and a much better OS and all the features I need for roughly $200 less than the M1S. I still have my A55 with custom firmware and use if for home use and whichever DAP I get will be my travel DAP which is why I won't spend a ton on it in case something happens to it.
Just buy things that you want man. 🤣
Nothing is perfect.

May 10, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #585 of 939
The M1s drives the Diana V2 via balanced very well. Plenty of headroom on high gain. Also, the pairing with the Sony IER-Z1R is quite good.

I’m not often a fan of ESS implementations. The only DAC/amp with ESS I regularly use is the Woo WA8. The M1s might be on the rotation now and not just a digital transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back