Shanling M1s - Ideal Compact Portable Player
Jan 4, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #166 of 938
No you are right the M0 was a departure from the Shanling house sound and I never got a chance to demo the M5S or the M2X so I am only going off what the reviews have said when comparing the MTouch DAP's. You can bet the M0 Pro sound will be very clean using the 9219C and one of the benefits of using a combo DAC/Amp chip, a very short signal path compared to using separate DAC and amp chips. Not expecting an HD screen, not much point being so small and the battery drain would be high. I can see sacrificing the screen a little to save battery life given the components being used. The A55 has a pretty high resolution screen at 800 x 480 and I find if I use it alot the battery drains much faster.

Yep I had pneumonia in the service and since then I can get bronchitis rather easily. It's like it stays with with you- chronic. Thanks for the get well wishes. Anyways I didn't mind the sound of the m2 it was rich and detailed. Plus I can't remember how good the eq was on the m0. It should sound nice and clean though. I always had a bit of trouble with the fast scrolling on the m0 too. Always loved sony's UI, I'll be keeping my eye on the 306, I hope it's not priced too crazy.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #167 of 938
On here because I'm sick and don't know what to do with myself lol. I feel too crappy to even play a game or watch a flick. Was going down to FL this week, but not now. And it's insanely warm here in the Midwest for this time of year which makes this flu or whatever even worse.

I haven't been able to sleep good, but I have been listening to old gods of Appalachia which is a great podcast- horror anthology. You guys ever get like your ears and throat hurting and then a hacking cough from your throat- bronchial tubes being infected or irritated. I used to take some whiskey and honey but I'm dry now so it's tea and honey. And I'm out of my good cough syrup with codeine base. That stuff really works to sooth and stop the hacking. They won't give me that even though pain killers were never my thing. 😞

Sorry for the rambling lol. And this dongle seems weird/cool. So many dongles out now.

https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...-pcm-768khz-dsd256-type-c-headphone-amplifier
the tanchjim is spectacular. fantastic measurements for such a small usb dongle. aesthetically beautiful, compact, balanced 4.4, performance, hardware volume keys, gain switch without app but with volume keys. what else do you want?
here the measurements:
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/tanchjim-space/
if you need a good usb dac without battery, buy it with your eyes closed. look at those measurements! very few at that price achieve such performance. connect it to a cheap smartphone with micro sd and you have a better set up than most low/medium range daps. measurements don't lie.
if, on the other hand, you don't pay much attention to the objective quality of a well-made circuit, if you don't have golden ears and similar bull, you're fine with any entry level dap. but at this point I would look at software stability and battery life. i would definitely go to hiby r2 and if i want to improve it, i add any dongle with balanced output to it. it has 1000mah and especially Hiby, Hiby Link.
p.s you take too much codeine in USA! Here in Italy they struggle to give you Codeinebaseddzzsyrups now... it's the trappers fault XD

Jan 12, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #168 of 938
the tanchjim is spectacular. fantastic measurements for such a small usb dongle. aesthetically beautiful, compact, balanced 4.4, performance, hardware volume keys, gain switch without app but with volume keys. what else do you want?
here the measurements:
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/tanchjim-space/
if you need a good usb dac without battery, buy it with your eyes closed. look at those measurements! very few at that price achieve such performance. connect it to a cheap smartphone with micro sd and you have a better set up than most low/medium range daps. measurements don't lie.
if, on the other hand, you don't pay much attention to the objective quality of a well-made circuit, if you don't have golden ears and similar bull, you're fine with any entry level dap. but at this point I would look at software stability and battery life. i would definitely go to hiby r2 and if i want to improve it, i add any dongle with balanced output to it. it has 1000mah and especially Hiby, Hiby Link.
p.s you take too much codeine in USA! Here in Italy they struggle to give you Codeinebaseddzzsyrups now... it's the trappers fault XD

Yes it's beautiful, but I kind of hate dongles and stuff that measures really good doesn't always sound good to my ears. If I were going to try a new
dongle, and I've tried most of them it would be the tanchjim for sure. Dongles just don't sound as good as small daps to me. My eyes are on the probably crappy measuring sony nwa 306. It will sound good to me and have lots of goodies in a small body.

Still might check out the T though 😀 and you're right about codeine, too much and then a lock down on it. Although you can get street opiods 1000 times stronger for peanuts. But you might die 😞

Jan 12, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #169 of 938
Yes it's beautiful, but I kind of hate dongles and stuff that measures really good doesn't always sound good to my ears. If I were going to try a new
dongle, and I've tried most of them it would be the tanchjim for sure. Dongles just don't sound as good as small daps to me. My eyes are on the probably crappy measuring sony nwa 306. It will sound good to me and have lots of goodies in a small body.

Still might check out the T though 😀 and you're right about codeine, too much and then a lock down on it. Although you can get street opiods 1000 times stronger for peanuts. But you might die 😞

The knock on the freshly announced NW-A320 is that is fairly expensive for an under-powered device. I guess if you are happy to only connect sensitive IEMs attached to single-ended cables, then you'd be happy with it.

Jan 12, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #170 of 938
The knock on the freshly announced NW-A320 is that is fairly expensive for an under-powered device. I guess if you are happy to only connect sensitive IEMs attached to single-ended cables, then you'd be happy with it.

Yep, but no more expensive than the a105 was (is) and the extra battery life alone will be worth it. Yep I've got ie800s and rose mini 3 in my arsenal so no problems driving them. If I had cans or harder to drive iems I'd add a dongle. That's always a knock against sony with the class D amps.

Probably will be able to flash with firmware from the other new model and get the 50mw x 50mw output from the single end. Not much but hey 15 mw.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #171 of 938
Yep, but no more expensive than the a105 was (is) and the extra battery life alone will be worth it. Yep I've got ie800s and rose mini 3 in my arsenal so no problems driving them. If I had cans or harder to drive iems I'd add a dongle. That's always a knock against sony with the class D amps.

Probably will be able to flash with firmware from the other new model and get the 50mw x 50mw output from the single end. Not much but hey 15 mw.
Yeah I am surprised at the price to be honest, have to wonder how much the negative feedback on the A105 battery life played into the pricing. Maybe they are trying to convince unhappy A105 owners to pony up for the new model for about the same price. The rippled design is odd but maybe some kind of heat dissipation design or something. Might make it easier to hold onto, still a little pricey for me but maybe down the road some price drops will come like Black Friday. Will be interesting to read reviews for sure and if it sounds any better than the A105.

Feb 6, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #174 of 938
Has this product launch been scrapped?

Launch of M1s was delayed, we were waiting for some parts. But should be coming in few weeks.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 6, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #175 of 938
Launch of M1s was delayed, we were waiting for some parts. But should be coming in few weeks.
So we only have to wait what 4 months after announcement to maybe get some actual information assuming no more delays. There's building anticipation and then there is dragging it out way to long, and we are passed the way to long point already. You have to be able to give us something at this point!!!

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #177 of 938
Probably covid chaos disrupting the supply chain with so many sick people unable to meet deadlines for something critical like the touch screen. Something like that.

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #178 of 938
Probably covid chaos disrupting the supply chain with so many sick people unable to meet deadlines for something critical like the touch screen. Something like that.
Yeah but you would have to think they must at least have a working prototype by now. You don't just get parts and start making units and we do have pictures of an actual unit online or is it just a deep fake:scream:. All this waiting is turning me into a conspiracy nut!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back