Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Jul 9, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #3,361 of 3,480
Ok, I'll keep it in mind. Frankly, M0 is too small for my taste (I think M1 is the perfect compromise between portable and a nice screen).
Once my M1 is due for replacement, if there's a new player with similar screen size but your own software and features, then it's a no-brainer.

For now I will solve my problem by creating Artist playlists. Folder navigation is good and avoids the file limit entirely, I'm having no problems.

I've written a bash script, which runs in Cygwin (Linux command line environment on Windows), that will find Tracks with a specific Artist, by searching the Tags that I've set in JRiver Media Center (when ripping my CDs). The script returns the information in a format that can be redirected into a file, to become a .m3u Playlist.

Jul 21, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #3,367 of 3,480
It does go up to 100, but I feel there's not much to play with from 70 to 100. I've just bought it so I'll continue to use it, and hopefully I'll get used to this as it is a great little dap. Funnily enough, I got used to the wheel function almost instantly, and I thought that would have been troublesome for me.

Jul 21, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #3,368 of 3,480
It does go up to 100, but I feel there's not much to play with from 70 to 100. I've just bought it so I'll continue to use it, and hopefully I'll get used to this as it is a great little dap. Funnily enough, I got used to the wheel function almost instantly, and I thought that would have been troublesome for me.

Fwiw I did just try the Onkyo A800 with the M1 (they're rated at the same 32Ohm as the Y30 and has even lower sensitivity, 100 dB vs 115 on the Y30) and on high gain 65 on volume is enough for me to get a good listening level and I'd never go past 70.

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #3,369 of 3,480
Fwiw I did just try the Onkyo A800 with the M1 (they're rated at the same 32Ohm as the Y30 and has even lower sensitivity, 100 dB vs 115 on the Y30) and on high gain 65 on volume is enough for me to get a good listening level and I'd never go past 70.
I forgot to check, but the firmware was v2, so I updated it to v4 (I know higher is available), and that brought a positive change. I now don't need to go above 60 on the volume as that is load enough for me. So I'm very happy with it now.

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #3,370 of 3,480
Hi, my M1 is almost dead. I updated to firmware 4.5 few days ago and no used it since that day (about 2 weeks ago). Until that day always worked fine, battery duration was good and charging worked well.
Now I turned on and appears message "Battery depleted" and is not able to charge with wall charger or computer. Connected to computer sometimes M1 says "USB Connected" but immediately says "Battery depleted" and turns off and in Windows says "USB device unrecognized" and thats all (not showed as connected or anything). Sometimes shows a few seconds the main screen but battery does not appears as charging, only the hollow battery icon in red before to turn off.
I thought it was the USB C cable and bought a new one but the problem continues.
Has anyone else had the same problem? Any solution?

Aug 10, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #3,371 of 3,480
That sounds bad. You've done everything I would have recommended. Tried a different charger??

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #3,372 of 3,480
That sounds bad. You've done everything I would have recommended. Tried a different charger??
Yes, different chargers and different computers as well.
A Shanling guy on line at facebook told me that seems the battery is dead and offered to send a new one but doesn't seems a battery issue as the device doesn't work plugged and there is no sign of the device trying to charge. Maybe the power circuit failed :frowning2:

Aug 18, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #3,373 of 3,480
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the DAP world and I picked up a Shanling M1 from Massdrop which just came in the mail today. I've been using it as a USB DAC because my micro SD card hasn't come in the mail yet and I seem to get a lot of hiss from it, and when watching shows, the audio is a bit delayed compared to the image. I have a feeling the audio is delayed because of the extra steps that have to be taken being an external DAC, but shouldn't the hiss not be there? I notice a bit of a hiss when I have my headphones plugged right into my computer but it seems to be amplified with the M1. Could the problem be with my computer? Also I checked the software and it is running 4.2.

Edit: I've also found out that no matter what kind of file I play on my computer, the M1 screen always says that it's 32.0KHz/24Bit. I've tried changing things with the drivers and have gone into my playback devices and tried changing the sample rate there, but when I do that, the M1 stops working as a USB DAC...
20180819_143323.jpg 20180819_143957.jpg

Again, any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #3,374 of 3,480
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the DAP world and I picked up a Shanling M1 from Massdrop which just came in the mail today. I've been using it as a USB DAC because my micro SD card hasn't come in the mail yet and I seem to get a lot of hiss from it, and when watching shows, the audio is a bit delayed compared to the image. I have a feeling the audio is delayed because of the extra steps that have to be taken being an external DAC, but shouldn't the hiss not be there? I notice a bit of a hiss when I have my headphones plugged right into my computer but it seems to be amplified with the M1. Could the problem be with my computer? Also I checked the software and it is running 4.2.

Edit: I've also found out that no matter what kind of file I play on my computer, the M1 screen always says that it's 32.0KHz/24Bit. I've tried changing things with the drivers and have gone into my playback devices and tried changing the sample rate there, but when I do that, the M1 stops working as a USB DAC...

Again, any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hi,

regarding the hiss, please test it when your card arrives, to see if the hiss is caused by the unit itself or if it's just in USB DAC mode.

To the delay, unfortunately there will always be some delay with multipurpose devices like DAPs.

And the info on playback screen, long time error in HiBy software, they never got to fix.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 19, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #3,375 of 3,480
Hi,

regarding the hiss, please test it when your card arrives, to see if the hiss is caused by the unit itself or if it's just in USB DAC mode.

To the delay, unfortunately there will always be some delay with multipurpose devices like DAPs.

And the info on playback screen, long time error in HiBy software, they never got to fix.

Hi, Thank you for your response!

In regards to the hissing, after moving around to a few locations in my house, the hiss seems to disappear in every room except the room I normally sit it. It actually seems to get worse when I get close to one wall in particular making me thing there's something going on with the wiring in my house... so that's a fun discovery.

Thanks again for the response and letting me know about the rest of my inquiries!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back