Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Feb 17, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #2,341 of 3,480

I've tried it with several different amps and so far it hasn't affected the sound in any negative way.  Ramp the volume on the M1 to 100 and control the output on your amp.
A lot of times double amping causes distortion but I haven't experienced it with this dap.

Actually to avoid potentially distortion, adding noise and over taxing your DAP at 100% constant volume you might want to try 80% volume on your M1.  Others more knowledgeable about double amping than me recommend 80% unless recommended otherwise by the manufacturer.

I have been double amping my A17 with the Fiio Q1 for several months now.  I started at 90 percent volume (27/30) and slowly began reducing the volume on my A17.  I found my sweet spot for the best sound at 22/30 on my A17 with my Q1 between 4 to 6/9.  I still get plenty of power but I find at this volume I get a smoother slightly warmer sound that I like.  Obviously results will vary so nothing wrong with a little trial and error.   Also consider that running your M1 at max volume will give you the least battery life per charge and could reduce the life expectancy of the battery and your M1.

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #2,342 of 3,480
I tend to favor my M2 for critical listening.  But today the weather dramatically improved and I went outside for some fresh air.

Took the M1 with me and my LZ-A2 IEMs.   That is a very satisfying experience.   I think that if I never heard the M2 I might be very happy with just the M1.  So my opinion on the piece is improving.

The tunes ?   Bryan Ferry, Boys and Girls, 24 bit 88 khz conversion from the SACD.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #2,346 of 3,480
There is a reset hole, use a paper clip, at the top of the lhs on the unit.

Yeah, I was gonna say that! And, in an accessory baggie, there was a rubber plug thing that fits into the headphone jack and has a pin perfect for pressing the reset button.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #2,347 of 3,480
  There is a reset hole, use a paper clip, at the top of the lhs on the unit.

Yeah, I was gonna say that! And, in an accessory baggie, there was a rubber plug thing that fits into the headphone jack and has a pin perfect for pressing the reset button.

Wow that's fast! Thankfully I didn't throw away my baggie but I need to hunt it down :wink:

It seems that my M1 has sensed my displeasure as it suddenly is charging again. Hope it is fine as I don't think I can get warranty coverage on a parallel imported set...

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #2,348 of 3,480
Anyone ever encounter the issue of M1 stuck in the starting/shutting screen? I press and hold to shut down but it refuses to do so; leaving M1 at that screen.

Nevermind, poke the reset and it came back into life and managed to switch it off.. Not sure what happen.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #2,350 of 3,480
Im still thinking this is the best source for the Mojo! The range for Bluetooth for me is around 25 feet which is more than enough. Since I like the stack so much and its only use is for the mojo I have been thinking of permanently affixing the units together via there leather cases. Right now im using some doubled sided tape which is fairly thin but not sure I like it yet.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #2,351 of 3,480
Just received my M1 after >2 months shipping....!! Been trying to upgrade to 1.12 for 4 days now, but the website is an absolute dog..... Can someone upload the FW to Dropbox or some cloud solution? If so much appreciated.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #2,352 of 3,480
  How do you get the "shuffle" mode to actually shuffle tracks?  No matter what I've tried the M1 does "shuffle" the tracks but always in the same "order".  

At least to me "shuffle" means randomize.

For now a workaround I use is to start a new shuffle session by Opening All, then choosing a random track. The order seems to be different this way. However in the long term maybe @Shanling can look into it? On FW 1.11 and 1.12 same issue. May be switching to Fiio X1 II though......

Just received my M1 after >2 months shipping....!! Been trying to upgrade to 1.12 for 4 days now, but the website is an absolute dog..... Can someone upload the FW to Dropbox or some cloud solution? If so much appreciated.

Here you go :) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zweo11wj4rxr05i/update.upt?dl=0

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #2,353 of 3,480
  For now a workaround I use is to start a new shuffle session by Opening All, then choosing a random track. The order seems to be different this way. However in the long term maybe @Shanling can look into it? On FW 1.11 and 1.12 same issue. May be switching to Fiio X1 II though......

I tried that before but thought it just picked up from the "set" order at where that song would have been.  I'll try again and actually take notes and report back.

Was looking at the Fiio M3 - need a gym portable unit.

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #2,354 of 3,480

I tried that before but thought it just picked up from the "set" order at where that song would have been.  I'll try again and actually take notes and report back.

Was looking at the Fiio M3 - need a gym portable unit.

I see keep me posted :)

Actually I came from a Fiio M3. Yes it's awesome for gym as it is even smaller and has longer battery life. Do note though that it supports only up to 24bit/48khz IIRC. The sound is okay, a tinge of warmth but less detailed than the M1. Not so much to the extent you will hate the M3, but if you listen attentively you will find the details just a bit less clear.

It was fun while I had it though! Really small, simple and bulletproof. Just plays music and does no more, no less haha.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #2,355 of 3,480
I tend to favor my M2 for critical listening.  But today the weather dramatically improved and I went outside for some fresh air.

Took the M1 with me and my LZ-A2 IEMs.   That is a very satisfying experience.   I think that if I never heard the M2 I might be very happy with just the M1.  So my opinion on the piece is improving.

The tunes ?   Bryan Ferry, Boys and Girls, 24 bit 88 khz conversion from the SACD.

I think I said earlier, M1 excels as a transport and is "just good enough" as a standalone mini-DAP to be satisfying when out for a walk. Very versatile!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back