Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Feb 5, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #2,236 of 3,480
In what areas do you find the XD-05 to improve on the M1?

for starters, It has a pretty decent top of the line AK4490 dac chip. And it has MUCH more power output compared to the m1, So it'll be able to power 300ohm headphones with ease. other than that the native dsd support also helps. I'm not recommending it as a replacement for M1 rather as a replacement for mojo while using M1 as a transport. the OP asked for a good dac/amp at around the $100 range because mojo was too expensive. 

after a quick google search, this is what the combo would look like : 

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #2,237 of 3,480
for starters, It has a pretty decent top of the line AK4490 dac chip. And it has MUCH more power output compared to the m1, So it'll be able to power 300ohm headphones with ease. other than that the native dsd support also helps. I'm not recommending it as a replacement for M1 rather as a replacement for mojo while using M1 as a transport. the OP asked for a good dac/amp at around the $100 range because mojo was too expensive. 

Just to be perfectly clear here: you have compared the M1 to the XD-05 soundwise right?

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #2,238 of 3,480
Just to be perfectly clear here: you have compared the M1 to the XD-05 soundwise right?

No, I haven't. But, I've read a lot of reviews of the xduoo, its very well regarded for the price/spec ratio. I'm pretty happy with my mojo. but if you're comparing m1 to the xd-05 I'm pretty confident that the xduoo should be a huge improvement. it outputs 500mv into 32mhm load compared to the M1's 35mv into 32ohm. and it has a far superior DAC chip. add to that Native DSD256 and 32bit/384KHz support, and you have a pretty solid option especially at $140-150. I'd be hard pressed to find something that can match it at the spec to price ratio.

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #2,240 of 3,480
No, I haven't. But, I've read a lot of reviews of the xduoo, its very well regarded for the price/spec ratio. I'm pretty happy with my mojo. but if you're comparing m1 to the xd-05 I'm pretty confident that the xduoo should be a huge improvement. it outputs 500mv into 32mhm load compared to the M1's 35mv into 32ohm. and it has a far superior DAC chip. add to that Native DSD256 and 32bit/384KHz support, and you have a pretty solid option especially at $140-150. I'd be hard pressed to find something that can match it at the spec to price ratio.

Unfortunately this was just what I feared. To recommend other people to spend there money on stuff you haven't heard yourself is extremely nonchalant and way to common in here. People really need to learn to talk about things they actually know something about and keep their mouth shut on other things but for some reason, that's totally impossible for me to understand, this seems to be very difficult for some......

The guy who asked the question are looking at IEM's and not 300Ohm full-size headphones so I'm having a hard time understanding the value of the extra power. The rest is also only upgrades if the op are interested on those features. It's my understanding that he was asking for upgrade in sq and you haven't contributed with anything that should support that is the XD-05 does that, because you obviously can't since you haven't heard it which brings me back to my initial confusion about why you felt the need to answer this question in the first place and that's exactly what I just can't understand, need for attention maybe......

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #2,241 of 3,480
thanks for the replies

it would only be used for iems and the question regarding the dac functions/usb audio out was more to satisfy curiosity more than anything

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #2,242 of 3,480
Isn't XD-05 pretty big compared to M1? Seems like an ungainly stack!

Nah the iDSD is even bigger :D

The M1 looks a bit lost sure, but since the M1 works so flawless on USB audio out, I don't want to use my Samsung phone with UAPP anymore.

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #2,244 of 3,480
  If I adjust the balance to either full L or R I can still hear sound from the other ear (via plugged in headphones or bluetooth) is this normal?

I haven't tried adjusting the balance.
Do you need to operate your M1 with the balance adjusted all the way to L or R?

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #2,245 of 3,480
  If I adjust the balance to either full L or R I can still hear sound from the other ear (via plugged in headphones or bluetooth) is this normal?

Yes its normal.  You aren't actually setting it full left or right,  just cutting one side by up to 10 db.  You will still have plenty of sound coming out of the side you cut.

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #2,246 of 3,480

Just remember the M1 doesn't have a line out so if you use the headphone out you'll be double amping.

I am aware and I already double amp with my Sony A17 and Fiio Q1 and would be fine doing so with an M1.

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #2,247 of 3,480

Pros / Con would Double Amping?

I have been double amping for over a year and I have no issues with it at.  Mind you I am using headphones and not iem's but then again if I was using iem's I probably would not double amp.  For me double amping plays louder than LO, improves the sound stage and allows me to tailor the sound a little.  Sure Sony having such a poor LO implementation kind of forced me to double amp but I am very happy with the sound and have no regrets

My Sony A17 tends to be a little to clean and analytical sounding on some tracks.  The Fiio Q1 adds a little smoothness, sweetness and warmth to the sound.  When I balance the volume between the two I can adjust how much the Q1 affects the overall sound.

Best thing to do is try it both ways if you can and then decide as it may not be for everybody

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #2,249 of 3,480
Glad you went for it. Let us know what you think when it arrives!

Rocking shanling m1 for 2 days, i must say it is improvement compare to ipod vid 5.5.. M1's sound more open and energetic.. i love it...

And this lil player is very versatile, usb dac, bluetooth dac, dap, transport, perfect... now saving for mojo :D

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #2,250 of 3,480

Rocking shanling m1 for 2 days, i must say it is improvement compare to ipod vid 5.5.. M1's sound more open and energetic.. i love it...

And this lil player is very versatile, usb dac, bluetooth dac, dap, transport, perfect... now saving for mojo :D

I really think it's incredible how much it packs into such a small form factor; Shanling really did good with this one 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back