Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Feb 4, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #2,221 of 3,480
I haven't been able to update my M1, which arrived today. Not sure if I'm doing it right.

The update file I downloaded from the Shanling site is named "M1 1.10升级包(M1 1.10firmware).rar" and is 41.6 MB.

I copied the file to the root directory of my microSD card using my Mac. Then I tried to to run the update on the M1. It says the update file is not found.

Obviously, I've bolloxed something up...

Can a kind soul please point me in the right direction??

thanks!

All you need is the update file, which should be "update.upt" that is the file that will have to be copied on to your sdcard.. To be safe, I generally use 7-Zip to extract the zip file. Hope this helps.

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #2,222 of 3,480
  Sorry If this have seen ask before.

1. What would you guys recommend a good "Portable Budget AMP" to pair with the M1 that can Power 300-650Ohm?

It depends on what you consider budget, the Fiio A5 should do the trick power wise at under $200.00

Just remember the M1 doesn't have a line out so if you use the headphone out you'll be double amping.

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #2,223 of 3,480
I'm not as experienced as many people here, but to me it does (I have a Rockbox'd Ipod Vid 5.5).

And yes, it plays .m4a files no problem :smile:

Haven't used my iPod 5.5g for a long, long time. It just couldn't keep up sonically with my DAPs, so it's been in the drawer. I'd sell it, but I broke some of the clips performing the CF mod...

Thank you, just want to make sure before i pull the trigger on this little player.

Using ipod vid 5.5 as my daily player, its portable enough and sounds good to me. But i love the size of m1.. its perfect.. not to mention the UI, beautiful...

Thank you guys

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #2,228 of 3,480
With large playlists? I don't have any trouble with actually playing songs from smaller playlists or selecting them via the library (around 4400 songs between FLAC and mp3), it's just if I try loading up those playlists around 1700 to 2k songs in size where it reboots.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I'm on 1.12, just received my M1 yesterday so I don't know if it would have occurred on older firmware.

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #2,230 of 3,480
Pros / Con would Double Amping?

Only pro I can think of would be to get more power from a external amp. Con would be possible impedance miss match altering the sound. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about double amping in a low- to mid-fi portable setup, especially if it sounds good to you but as always ymmw.....

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #2,231 of 3,480
likely to pull the trigger on one of these today, I'll only be using it with iems (which i also need to purchase). Anything out there considered to be a good match with the m1? Music tastes are varied, electronic, dance, house, indie etc, was considering flare or dunu (like the form factor).

I also see this pairs well with mojo, alas that is most certainly not on the menu!!! Regarding usb audio out, would that work will into other dacs/amps with the right connector? if so, what are people using? (other than the mojo)

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #2,232 of 3,480
likely to pull the trigger on one of these today, I'll only be using it with iems (which i also need to purchase). Anything out there considered to be a good match with the m1? Music tastes are varied, electronic, dance, house, indie etc, was considering flare or dunu (like the form factor).

I also see this pairs well with mojo, alas that is most certainly not on the menu!!! Regarding usb audio out, would that work will into other dacs/amps with the right connector? if so, what are people using? (other than the mojo)

I find the M1 to be pretty all-round when it comes to pairing, at least I've not encountered anything that sound bad with it.

You could check out the Opus #11 for a great amp/dac cheaper than the Mojo. The Geek Out V2+ is also great but expensive.....

I'm having a hard time to think of any sub $100 amp/dac that will improve the sound quality of the M1 significantly.

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #2,233 of 3,480

How about the Xduoo XD-05? You can find it for a good price. Last I checked it was as low as $140-150 on Aliexpress. I'm sure the m1 would pair well with it. 

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #2,234 of 3,480
How about the Xduoo XD-05? You can find it for a good price. Last I checked it was as low as $140-150 on Aliexpress. I'm sure the m1 would pair well with it. 

In what areas do you find the XD-05 to improve on the M1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back