Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Nov 19, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #1,429 of 3,480
Apparently mine will arrive in 4 days and it was only $85 with the case
biggrin.gif
 Don't care too much how it'll sound by itself since I bought a Dragonfly Red to use with it 
rolleyes.gif
  3M Dual Lock sounds like a great idea. 

Nov 19, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #1,430 of 3,480
Apparently mine will arrive in 4 days and it was only $85 with the case :D  Don't care too much how it'll sound by itself since I bought a Dragonfly Red to use with it :rolleyes:   3M Dual Lock sounds like a great idea. 

That's not a bargain, it's an absolute steal! Who did you rob to get it that cheap? :sunglasses:

Nov 19, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #1,431 of 3,480
That's not a bargain, it's an absolute steal! Who did you rob to get it that cheap? :sunglasses:

I ordered it from **** on 11.11 after asking around on who was going to be the cheapest. I think it was going for around $99 after telling the shop I was a head-fier. In addition, the coupons the Aliexpress app gave me were the icing on the cake 
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #1,432 of 3,480
Nice :sunglasses::headphones::beers:

Nov 19, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #1,435 of 3,480

Main difference is the output power and the maximum voltage.
M1 is good for driving most headphones, but the voltage ceiling is a bit too low to drive some of the low efficiency headphones.

Also in terms of the spec the channel separation and S/N is better on Mojo, so theoretically you should be able to get a more realistic soundstage imaging.
This is subjective of course, because some people prefer the sound of poor channel separation because it sounds more centre-focused and "holographic".
I do notice the noise floor is a bit high on M1 when paired with very high efficiency multi-BA IEMs.

In the end there's not much point in complaining about M1 considering how affordable and feature-rich it is. The sound quality is also very good for the price.
Even if you already own an expensive heavy DAP, M1 gives a nice alternative to be able to carry around something lightweight and dock onto a beefy DAC/AMP as needed.

As good as M1 is SQ-wise, unfortunately it has limited output power. If you have something like UERR or even the RE-00 you may find M1 lacking volume on some high-quality recordings. Mojo is the only portable solution right now that can drive a wide range of headphones.

As for SQ-wise when driving a very sensitive iem, I would say not much. I can perceive an improvement when M1 is stacked with Hugo/Mojo. But that improvement is very small and maybe not there at all if I do a blind AB test that I appeciate M1 alone with my NT-6 especially on a long trip.

Thanks for responding. That is what I was thinking, but had not really noticed a change in volume required by the M1 for the headphones or IEMs that I use at my usual listening volume. I also don't seem to notice much change on the M1 when changing from Low to High Gain settings. Guess I need to forget the technical differences and just enjoy listening. For my tastes, the M1 is a great little transport and a really nice little DAP. A real value at its price point. Thanks again for the information.

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #1,437 of 3,480
Does AptX work well on the M1?
Folder play UI works smoothly? Is there a maximum number of files, after which the DAP won't play?
Thank you.

Some have reported some bluetooth devices have trouble connecting.  I have a few different ones with no issues.  AptX worked fine.

There's a 8000 song limit but if you use folder play that doesn't apply.

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #1,438 of 3,480
I use USB to connect to my OnePlus 3 without any issues. The M1 alone is an improvement. The M1 + Mojo is a massive improvement.

However, I can't for the life of me very the M1 to maintain a stable connection to my MacBook Pro. My MBP sees the M1 and tries to connect but won't maintain the connection when I try to play to the M1. Can someone else please try this and see if you can replicate?

I'm using latest M1 fw and Mac OS Sierra.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #1,439 of 3,480
@nmathesis, when you refer to using this as a USB transport for your mojo, I assume that means you use this as the transport for your music and let the Mojo do the audio processing? 

Am only clarifying this point, because I may have other considerations for my Audio Quest.... (Such as whether I get a great DAP or get a good, cheap DAP and something like a Mojo or iDSD micro).

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #1,440 of 3,480

Many readers of this thread have been planning to use the M1 as the 'music library + music player UI' and then use the USB cable to supply the Mojo, which then performs the audio processing.

From the reports so far, the M1 is the cheapest option for obtaining an excellent 'music library + music player UI', and the Mojo provides the class leading audio processing.
Some people will no doubt argue that it is cheaper to use their phone for the 'music library + music player UI', but there are plenty of complaints regarding phones feeding RFI and other electrical noise pollution, into the music data stream and analogue circuitry. The M1 will generate no phone signal based RFI, so has a clear advantage in that respect.

Overall a very good combination.         

Users who are viewing this thread

Back