Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Nov 16, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #1,383 of 3,480

I think native DSD playback internally would be too difficult to bother, but it should be possible to at least support DoP output as a USB transport.
It's just a matter of firmware being able to push the DIFF/DSF into DoP packets. No intense transcoding is needed.

Both AK (via USB) and FIio X5 2nd (S/PDIF) was able to achieve DoP via firmware update at a later stage, so I would find it surprising if Shanling cannot do this, given that the firmware development company is the same as Fiio.

In the meantime, it's great that M1 can output PCM 352.8 kHz

Thanks for your reply! Really wanted M1, everything almost perfect, from size to design to colour to bluetooth capability, but I guess having no native decoding for DSD is a deal-breaker for me.. Like some in here mentioned, I might as well convert DSD to FLACs myself in PC to save me more memory for more songs than having M1 to do it for me.. But well, I can't complain for a DAP at this price too.

Anyway, I pulled my trigger on the Aigo Z6 which plays DSD64/128 natively. Not bad a price getting it locally, even after adding approximate shipping cost, ~155USD. No much review on this DAP. Will do a review if I have got the time after receiving it.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #1,388 of 3,480
unfortunately it cannot.. there is no lineout too, so I intend to use headphone out to connect to headphone amp if need.. but if the sound signature is neutral, I will be happy enough.

Correct. Your best bet with M1 is to use a DAC/Amp. If you want to stack with a portable amp, you'll be double amping.

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #1,390 of 3,480
I haven't been able to update my M1, which arrived today. Not sure if I'm doing it right.

The update file I downloaded from the Shanling site is named "M1 1.10升级包(M1 1.10firmware).rar" and is 41.6 MB.

I copied the file to the root directory of my microSD card using my Mac. Then I tried to to run the update on the M1. It says the update file is not found.

Obviously, I've bolloxed something up...

Can a kind soul please point me in the right direction??

thanks!

What you need : http://www.unrarx.com

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #1,394 of 3,480
i just purchased an usb c cable from our local store, without even try it because i live in another island. i need that cable to connect shanling and mojo
but sadly the cable didn't work, i already PM the cable makers but no reply so far.
in case the fault is mine, is there any configuraton to connect shanling and mojo? or is there any specific/different scheme for the cable? Please answer if you have some experience

thank you in advance

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #1,395 of 3,480
  i just purchased an usb c cable from our local store, without even try it because i live in another island. i need that cable to connect shanling and mojo
but sadly the cable didn't work, i already PM the cable makers but no reply so far.
in case the fault is mine, is there any configuraton to connect shanling and mojo? or is there any specific/different scheme for the cable? Please answer if you have some experience

thank you in advance

The cable supplied with the M1 is just for charging - it is not a USB OTG cable, so it will not allow you to use the M1 as a source for the Mojo.
So you do need the new cable, but several have been mentioned within this thread, so someone will be able to provide a link.

Also the initial batch of M1 (using the software version 1.0) did not support using the M1 as a source for external DACs, but this was cured when software version 1.1 was released. So check which version of the software, is installed on your M1 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back