Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Nov 11, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #1,306 of 3,480
It looks to me like it won't last for more than two weeks.
It's a scroll that doubles as a press button.
I don't mind that it's made of plastic, what I mean is that it looks
and feels like the cheapest thing I've used or seen.
I bought the little unit because I thought it would have a
touch screen.

Are you saying that you own one and disagree with these statements?

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #1,308 of 3,480
It looks to me like it won't last for more than two weeks.
It's a scroll that doubles as a press button.
I don't mind that it's made of plastic, what I mean is that it looks
and feels like the cheapest thing I've used or seen.
I bought the little unit because I thought it would have a
touch screen.

Are you saying that you own one and disagree with these statements?

I do own one and have been contributing to this thread.

I certainly agree that it's plastic. I also agree that it's a scroll wheel that doubles as an enter button. 

I think that with minimal reading / searching, you would've known that it's not a touchscreen device.

And I've had good experiences with Shanling DAPs and their various scroll wheels so far, so I don't have too much reason to doubt that this one will hold up for a more than reasonable amount of time. I certainly haven't heard of any M1 scroll wheels failing, and I've been following this thread very closely. Mine's certainly fine. How's yours @Mimouille? You got one early on. Any issues so far?

I'd either suggest you give it time to prove that it won't fail easily or sell it and move on, especially if you really want a small form factor touchscreen device.

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #1,310 of 3,480
Yes I think I will take your advice and sell it and move on.
My posts about the scroll wheels build quality are just my opinion and that's all.
I am truly happy for anyone that owns the M1 and can live with its scroll/press wheel but I
can't.

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #1,311 of 3,480
Yes I think I will take your advice and sell it and move on.
My posts about the scroll wheels build quality are just my opinion and that's all.
I am truly happy for anyone that owns the M1 and can live with its scroll/press wheel but I
can't.

That's good. Have you identified a small form factor touchscreen DAP that meets your needs? I'd be interested in that, too.

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #1,312 of 3,480
Per NIck's question;

Yes I am getting the M1.  Great travel and workout toy based on what I am seeing so far.   When I travel lately it seems that every rental car has bluetooth stereo audio.

Sort of bummed that there were no great bargains on the FLC8S for 11-11; and the good deal that was mentioned here beforehand for the FLC8S has, at least for now, evaporated.

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #1,314 of 3,480
Glad you've got M1 on the way @originalsnuffy. Eager to hear your thoughts on it...

I will post some thoughts once it arrives. 

I had the sense from your post on another thread that you seem to equate the M5 from Shanling with the Chord Mojo.  I know that you have both and have a good ear so that is impressive accolades. 

I think of the M2 as a poor man's Mojo.

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #1,315 of 3,480
I think the scroll wheel is made by Alpine which makes guitar pots and such for Japanese stuff. Also, I actually think the scroll wheel is aluminum and not plastic, if you tap on it. Somewhere there is a pic of the thing taken apart. So, they used pretty good stuff on there.

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #1,316 of 3,480
I think the scroll wheel is made by Alpine which makes guitar pots and such for Japanese stuff. Also, I actually think the scroll wheel is aluminum and not plastic, if you tap on it. Somewhere there is a pic of the thing taken apart. So, they used pretty good stuff on there.

I can confirm the scroll wheel is aluminum.  I did the tooth test on it and it's definitely aluminum.

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #1,317 of 3,480

I think the company is Alps...

Glad to hear it's aluminum. Like I said in an earlier post, the wheel seems fine to me. I've got the other Shanling DAPs. All the wheels are metal, and all are solid after much use including passing them around the county to several headfi friends. originalsnuffy can attest to that. In my experience, Shanling doesn't cheap out when it comes to their kit!

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #1,318 of 3,480
I will post some thoughts once it arrives. 

I had the sense from your post on another thread that you seem to equate the M5 from Shanling with the Chord Mojo.  I know that you have both and have a good ear so that is impressive accolades. 

I think of the M2 as a poor man's Mojo.

Well, I do think Mojo is technically better than the M5, but I don't enjoy M5 any less because of that and M5 gets the most DAP time these days :wink:

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #1,319 of 3,480
The M2 wheel was pretty bad too. Not the actual mechanism but the whole wheel, as a result of being on top of buttons, feels loose.
The wheel also dig into your finger, so if you have to scroll a lot it's not comfortable.

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #1,320 of 3,480
Got an M1 and leather case for AUD $145 from BrightAudio via AliExpress.

For me its an upgrade to my Sansa Clip+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back