Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Nov 8, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #1,231 of 3,480
Does the Shanling M1 include in the kit the USB C to Micro USB cable needed to hook up an external headphone amplifier?

The M1 comes with a cable that is intended for USB charging only.
This has initially confused many users, because the cable will not allow the M1 to act as a transport for an external DAC (and I presume headphone amps as well).
Shanling said a few days ago that they will consider packaging an alternative cable in future.

There have been links posted on this thread to several suppliers of suitable cables, so the best advice is order a cable on the same day that you order your M1. 

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #1,232 of 3,480
Does the Shanling M1 include in the kit the USB C to Micro USB cable needed to hook up an external headphone amplifier?

It includes a USB-c to micro cable, but it's not an otg that works with mojo (at least not with mine) :cry:

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,233 of 3,480
Can someone explain how to install the driver for windows10.  I downloaded the USB driver package from Shanling's website.  When I run the setup file I get an error stating  "Error Launching Installer".

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #1,234 of 3,480
Just got the M1 from a retailer in my country. The sound quality, UI, design of the M1 is really good imo, buttons are placed so that I can use it with one hand but in My Music > Open All, no metadata is displayed, just filenames which makes absolute no sense since there's another option which is a File Browser. I hope Shanling fixes this in the new firmware because sometimes my japanese tracks names are plain numbers and I can't navigate to which song I want to listen to as I don't know the exact name of the track :frowning2:

Nov 8, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #1,235 of 3,480
Quote:
but in My Music > Open All, no metadata is displayed, just filenames which makes absolute no sense since there's another option which is a File Browser. I hope Shanling fixes this in the new firmware because sometimes my japanese tracks names are plain numbers and I can't navigate to which song I want to listen to as I don't know the exact name of the track :frowning2:

I did bring this issue up a few pages back when I just got my M1 and I agree.. it makes no sense to not use the metadata for the song title and display the filename of the song.

Some guys suggested I rename all my songs with the standard format Artist-Album-Track#-Title.wav but again that makes absolutely no sense because then all the songs in Open All would then be arranged in alphabetical order by Artist Name, unless I rename all my files by Title-Artist-Album-Track#.wav which is also not logical..

I really hope Shanling can display track names in "Open All" by reading and displaying the metadata, filenames can be shown in "File Browser" and that would make sense.. but not in "My Music"..

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #1,239 of 3,480
There's also, if you want to keep the M1 & amp combo small, the Brainwavz AP001 that instead of having it's own volume control uses the Dap's volume control and boosts volume by a set amount.  It does add a bit of bass to the sound, however, so it's not neutral at all.  Not sure how annoying it is to get your hands on these days though.  Quality-wise, it's about equivalent to Fiio's tiny amps.  I suspect I won't bother with this route, but I might give it a try to see how it sounds.

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #1,241 of 3,480
Which isn't as much of an issue as it used to be.  Technology has improved to where it's not as bad.  Personally, I view it as a compromise which sometimes can be worth it depending on the quality of the headphone/earphone you're trying to drive.

Nov 9, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #1,243 of 3,480

One more issue is that the skin's circle does not fit with the M1's circle but that's not a big issue. This is one of the best UI on a music player in my opinion, clean, pretty as expected from HiBy (tho they did a not so good job on the X1), no DSD output (actually a DoP). But it's far more than what I expect for 100$. Really happy with it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back