Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Oct 22, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #3,708 of 6,413

Yes that would make the most sense but with wanting to bring elements of MTouch 2.0, hopefully replaygain to the M0 it may be low on their list of priorities. Though not a perfect implementation it works for now and I guess it is better than not having external playlist support at all. Just hoping I can get some setup eventually when things quiet down and I have time to mess with external playlists.

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #3,709 of 6,413
Ummm... Why not? That's how it's supposed to work.

Currently they are separate parts of system.

Also, current solution can help you keep it in order. Just create one folder with playlists, name it AAA and you always know where to go immediately. If the system would scan for all m3u playlists, you can end up with dozens of playlists, since m3u files are often included next to cue sheets, some programs created it automatically when split cue.

Your gapless function is implemented as fading out/in tracks?

No, gapless has no fading in and out. That's why i'm asking if you have gapless turned on or not.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 22, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #3,711 of 6,413
No any other cases planned at current time.
I think all these requests for improvements are going all to anywhere. Shanling has already designed his roadmap from the beginning, and unless they are severe malfunctions, Shanling will not modify "on demand" any model or software or hardware.
And...¿what about the programmed obsolescence, for this little M0...? :alien:

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #3,712 of 6,413
Currently they are separate parts of system.

Also, current solution can help you keep it in order. Just create one folder with playlists, name it AAA and you always know where to go immediately. If the system would scan for all m3u playlists, you can end up with dozens of playlists, since m3u files are often included next to cue sheets, some programs created it automatically when split cue.

So the "playlist" menu specifically does not include user playlists. This breaks the way MP3 players have worked since 1999. It is actively hostile to a pleasant and simple user experience to require the customer to hunt for multiple playlist locations. If Creative and Sandisk and Rio and iRiver could handle scanning and importing M3U and PLS playlists in 2001, it is a massive step backward to not do it in 2018.

Oct 22, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #3,713 of 6,413
So the "playlist" menu specifically does not include user playlists. This breaks the way MP3 players have worked since 1999. It is actively hostile to a pleasant and simple user experience to require the customer to hunt for multiple playlist locations. If Creative and Sandisk and Rio and iRiver could handle scanning and importing M3U and PLS playlists in 2001, it is a massive step backward to not do it in 2018.
Beat me to the punch there. I don't use folders. I go off artist/album/songs/playlists. Certain things just need to work like they have since the dawn of the DAP. I'm not interested in workarounds for something that should be basic.

Oct 22, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #3,714 of 6,413
@Shanling
One more thing , i noticed some errors on the Spanish translation.
In system settings (ajustes del sistema) you can see Doble clic (It should be "Doble Click") even more since when you select it inside you can read now "Doble Click" . And also "Tres huelgas" for triple click is damn wrong. It should be "Triple Click" I don't know what had the translator in mind but huelga is strike, as in general strike.
So to sum it up
Double in english is translated as Doble in spanish. Triple in english is the same in spanish, Triple. And click also needs no translation, but should be the same everywhere it appears.
And also since in other places you translated play as "reproducir" and/or "playing" as reproduciendo, "Play/Pausa" should be the infinitive form of the verb => "Reproducir/Pausar"

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #3,715 of 6,413
In the spanish translation there are two options:

doble clic 0 -
tres huelgas 0 -

However, "Huelgas" in spanish means Strikes, like Hunger Strikes (what does the translator have in his mind?...)
zaero69
this issue has already been commented, but Shanling (the Sponsor Man) ignores it, because he doesn't have it in his roadmap of answers and solutions...
I think all these requests for improvements are going all to anywhere. Shanling has already designed his roadmap from the beginning, and unless they are severe malfunctions, Shanling will not modify "on demand" any model or software or hardware.
And...¿what about the programmed obsolescence, for this little M0...? :alien:

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #3,716 of 6,413
I hope you guys aren’t going to let a tiny bit of translation ruin a very nice dap. Obviously strikes means clicks, so problem solved. And I don’t know of any company that will modify something in firmware on demand, do you?

It’s a tiny 100 dollar dap that plays music as it’s supposed to, I just don’t get why people whine and whine over stuff. My suggestion, buy an AP80 or hiby R3 for more features or buy and android dap, or use your phone.

And btw ‘strike’ is a Homonym and has 2 meanings and one of them it to hit something.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #3,717 of 6,413
Hello.

As I am new to this forum, I had better introduce myself.
I am Anton, a Dutchman living in Germany and my only use of headphones is with portable gear on long journeys. I used a Clip+ with Rockbox but menacing signs of flash corruption made me buy the Shanling M0 as an alternative.

I like its sound much, as well as the design, although I would appreciate crossfeed options :). With respect to the GUI, I had some issues and I stumbled upon this thread with very knowledgeable people and seemingly a direct connection to the developers.

One issue is with the alphabetic sorting as mentioned by Zato35, which is partly sorted in FW 2.2. Alphabetically sorting files in a directory is quite usual, but for music not quite my taste :)

Then, I noticed a typo in the German control strings (FW v2.1, v2.2, and v2.2 VTX). Line 211 in “txt_list_de.txt” by XVortex post #3607 should run:
[211,Aktualisierung läuft,0,0] (insert an “f” in front of the final “t”).

A curious thing is the display of diacritical marks in titles that goes wrong in some titles during playback but not in very comparable others. This issue persisted in FW 2.2 and FW 2.2 VTX, my player came with FW 2.1. I tried to tag (using MP3Tag v2.90a) with ID3v2.3 ISO8859-1, ID3v2.3 UTF16, and ID3v2.4 UTF8, but the results are identical. I have no other means of inspecting actually written tags than exporting the tags in ASCII and checking in WORD. That shows proper characters and white spaces.

As an example, the fourth symphony by Gustav Mahler. The first movement is: “Bedächtig. Nicht eilen - Recht gemächlich“.
Both combinations of „ä“ with „c“ go wrong, showing Asian characters.

But, with the second movement: “In gemächlicher Bewegung”,
an almost identical word is displayed without problems. Similar distortions of diacritics followed by a consonant I noticed with Wagner’s Götterdämmerung and Nordic folk music titles.

I made pictures of it, but I just learned, as a newbie, I will not be able to upload these for some time.
Is this a firmware issue, a hardware problem, or just bad tagging?

Cheers,
Anton.

Edit:
As warned by a colleague, FLAC and MP3 are of course differently tagged, but the issue exists with both file types. Loading the complete files into Notepad++, the strings look completely O.K. under encoding UTF8, not with ANSI.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back