Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 2, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #2,356 of 6,418
For another perspective of how 'big' the M0 is...

i-6HxCnns-X4.jpg

Aug 2, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #2,357 of 6,418
Hi @Shanling , today I noticed something. I tried to pair my M0 with the Sony 1000XM2 (hi-res wireless headphones with LDAC). They were paired and sound was great but I didn't see LDAC icon next to the clock (on M0's screen). Why is that? or what does it mean?

Because two days ago I tried this with the ProStereo H2 earphones and that time the LDAC logo was there.

Thanks in advance.

When paired and sending sound to headphones,there should be codec displayed enxt to the clock. Your M0 with Sony shows different codec, just BT icon or nothin at all?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 3, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #2,358 of 6,418
Wonder if the next (m5 update perhaps mentioned earlier in the thread?) one will be android given the android app in development, or will it (more likely) be the same software that the m0 uses?

I believe the Android app is the companion remote-control app for Shanling's own MTouch OS. They seem committed to having MTouch OS run their future players.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #2,360 of 6,418
IMG_0081.JPG

Like many people, i am extremely impressed with the M0. The sound quality streaming LDAC is fantastic. I think it is quite a neutral and transparent dap as can sound quite different depending on the headphones used. I have found it pairs really well with the fiio fh5 iems.

Aug 3, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #2,361 of 6,418
Wonder if the next (m5 update perhaps mentioned earlier in the thread?) one will be android given the android app in development, or will it (more likely) be the same software that the m0 uses?

I have had so many Android DAP's and the only one worth mentioning regarding preformance was the Hiby R6. All the others were sluggish.

I quite like the nimble linux GUI version of the M0 . So I would like a M1/R3 sized version with bigger battery,touchscreen,recessed buttons and recessed thumb wheel.

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #2,363 of 6,418
When paired and sending sound to headphones,there should be codec displayed enxt to the clock. Your M0 with Sony shows different codec, just BT icon or nothin at all?
Hi, it shows just bluetooth icon (even though my preferred setting is LDAC-HQ in the bluetooh settings)

I also have Sony SRS-XB31 portable speaker which has LDAC. Same with that as well. Just bluetooh icon.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #2,364 of 6,418
I personally would like to see a bigger version than M1... maybe M2 (or M2s) size. I see no advantage moving from M0 to M1 size. M0 is perfect for being super portable, but moving up to M1 size gets you very little... screen got to be 2x to 3x the size. not 25% bigger... IMHO of course :wink:

Looking anxiously for audiobook and podcast functionality as well.
Also, a GOOD clip case. Not the crappy all-plastic one, which I would never trust enough to jog with it. I would rather pay $15 for a good clip case, than $7 for the plastic one...

I think once you go much bigger then it's the same size as most other DAP's in this price range and it loses some of its portability and unique appeal. For me the big thing is adding hardware buttons especially to make scrolling through tracks easier. Shanling has hardware buttons on the M1 so an updated M1 with everything the M0 has ticks all the boxes for me and keeps it ultra portable. I could also do without the scroll wheel as it is very inaccurate and frankly for me a pain to use. Given how long Shanling has had scroll wheels on their DAP's I would have thought the functionality and accuracy would be better by now.

I have a home setup so the DAP for me is for listening to music when I travel. With all the other stuff I have to carry around having a DAP I can drop into any available pocket has huge appeal for me. Shanling is definitely on the right track with this design, they just need to make some improvements and tweak a few things. Looking forward to seeing what Shanling comes out with next. I understand the top end M5 is next, not really my cup of tea and likely alot more than I can afford to spend on a DAP.

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #2,365 of 6,418
Funnily, other than the SQ, my favourite feature of the M0 is just how well it fits in that little coin pocket on my jeans...

Perfect location, extra little bonus :)

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #2,366 of 6,418
guys i found a little bug..i have a playlist with 20 songs from when im running and when i try to delete a specific song it says removed but it wont dissapear from the playlist...when i play the playlist i dont hear the song i deleted...it happens with other songs too from other playlists...its not a problem at all just thought i should share it.. :)

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #2,367 of 6,418
Funnily, other than the SQ, my favourite feature of the M0 is just how well it fits in that little coin pocket on my jeans...

Same here. I love the tiny size and I'm baffled by all these requests to make the M0 bigger. If you want a bigger DAP, there are zillions out there to choose from. If you want good SQ in a tiny, lightweight device that won't bounce around in your pocket when you're running, biking, etc., the M0 is pretty much your only choice. I would hate to see a 2nd gen M0 get any larger. My request for M0 v2 would be exact same width & height with a larger screen (I know it's predicated on available parts, but I can dream, right?) and thinner. I know going thinner makes it less user-reparable, but there aren't many of us that our removing our M0 screens anyway, so I don't think that would be a problem.

Congrats yet again to Shanling on an awesome engineering job :)

Aug 3, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #2,369 of 6,418

Sat at work today with my r6 in my trouser pocket and it wasn't exactly comfortable (devices on desks are frowned on), so the m0 would be perfect from that score. Honestly the only reason (aside from wondering if it's too small) I haven't got one yet is because of audiobook support. That said I am wavering and nearly ordered one a couple of times this week :)

Aug 3, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #2,370 of 6,418
Same here. I love the tiny size and I'm baffled by all these requests to make the M0 bigger. If you want a bigger DAP, there are zillions out there to choose from. If you want good SQ in a tiny, lightweight device that won't bounce around in your pocket when you're running, biking, etc., the M0 is pretty much your only choice. I would hate to see a 2nd gen M0 get any larger. My request for M0 v2 would be exact same width & height with a larger screen (I know it's predicated on available parts, but I can dream, right?) and thinner. I know going thinner makes it less user-reparable, but there aren't many of us that our removing our M0 screens anyway, so I don't think that would be a problem.

Congrats yet again to Shanling on an awesome engineering job :)
Exactly... They have an M1 already. Wait until they update it if you want a slightly larger DAP. Though if there is only so much room to work with, I'm fine if they increase the footprint to somewhere between the M0 and M1 if they're able to make it thinner. The active crowd doesn't need an ultra small footprint. If it's thinner, the weight is closer to your body and less likely to flop around when moving. So a footprint increase isn't the biggest of deals.

And definitely agree. I don't think the average user is taking this apart to work on it. Thin is in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back