Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jul 6, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #1,787 of 6,418
Having said that i will still keep my A45 it sounds good and the battery life is great on it plus a great UI ...u know how sony does things

I use to be an audioholic and had every home audio and portable audio gear I could get my hands when I sold it. But now that I am older I have become much more conservative. I have become a one DAP guy, when I am running out the door I don't want to have choose which DAP to bring just grab and go. I will likely sell my A17 and possibly my Q1 and put the money toward a bigger microsd card. I bought a 128 GB card awhile ago in anticipation of the getting an A45 with 16 GB of memory. Now I think the 128 is to small and I will need to get at least a 200 GB card to last me awhile.

If you are interested the Sony blogspot has some early info on the A50 series. Looks to be slightly longer than the A40 and more like the ZX300, but same battery, same onboard memory configuration and likely the same bluetooth chip. Not really sure what Sony will add to the A50 but the fact it will be even bigger than the A40 makes me lose interest right away. Supposedly they will be using some more efficient components which should improve battery life slightly. Some early rumors Sony may add wifi as they are running out of features to add.

Jul 6, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #1,788 of 6,418
Just got it this week
I was an original backer of the pebble,and have a plastic pebble time to use as a vibrating alarm to get up.
Since the pebble, I tried the Vector(battery life) which got bought out by the same folks who destroyed pebble
I've tried the monster Samsung Gear S LTE when I had a Note4 which as great but when I moved to the LG V30 I got the LG Style but battery life sucked on both most times never making it through day.
I tried to go retro with a simple casio calculator watch but the alarm is too annoying versus the vibration alert or the Pebble and Vector
I saw some really positive reviews of the Amazfit BIP especially regarding month long battery life so I've switched from the Pebble Time/Vector to the BIP

So far so good. I picked up a plastic cap and screen savers(I'm really bad with watches and shoes) and a leather band for more formal occasions
I like watches you never ever have to take off even when showering like my old casio Gshocks and pebble
The sports monitoring thing is a nice to have but I got it for the battery life.
I'm over the messaging/always connected thing
I had a real Dick Tracy watch with the Gear S LTE but it was more of a gimic than anything else
I have a couple citizen never wind Ecos for traveling

super light and screen is readable in the dark
Nice. Have long been searching for the Swiss army knife of watches. Having gone through quite a few, I've settled on the Garmin 735xt. Probably not as long lasting as the Bip, but more advanced for running, cycling and such. Good screen, can get notifications if I don't have the phone. I charge it sporadically, a little more if I'm using GPS a bit. But it lasts a lot longer than any oled smartwatch. The M0 compliments it when I'm not carrying my phone.

And for those that want to mount a clipped M0 somewhere, I mentioned about the Nobiggie finger strap. Can stick it on whatever and slip the clip through the strap.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #1,789 of 6,418
I use to be an audioholic and had every home audio and portable audio gear I could get my hands when I sold it. But now that I am older I have become much more conservative. I have become a one DAP guy, when I am running out the door I don't want to have choose which DAP to bring just grab and go. I will likely sell my A17 and possibly my Q1 and put the money toward a bigger microsd card. I bought a 128 GB card awhile ago in anticipation of the getting an A45 with 16 GB of memory. Now I think the 128 is to small and I will need to get at least a 200 GB card to last me awhile.

If you are interested the Sony blogspot has some early info on the A50 series. Looks to be slightly longer than the A40 and more like the ZX300, but same battery, same onboard memory configuration and likely the same bluetooth chip. Not really sure what Sony will add to the A50 but the fact it will be even bigger than the A40 makes me lose interest right away. Supposedly they will be using some more efficient components which should improve battery life slightly. Some early rumors Sony may add wifi as they are running out of features to add.

They could always add audiob..... oh what's the point :frowning2:

On the subject of cards, why not just jump to a 400 and have done with it? Thinking of doing that so I can keep everything including audiobooks and music on there and not worry about having to choose what to put on.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #1,790 of 6,418
My m0 has it too. The 'fingerprint' is under the screen. I made the screen a little dirty so it easier to see. When I clean the screen it is very hard to see.

This is a photo of the issue: https://imgur.com/Z9gCWr1

Below is mine and I thought it was just an isolated unit.

IMG_20180706_103018.jpg

IMG_20180706_103235.jpg

IMG_20180706_103248.jpg

IMG_20180706_115948.jpg

IMG_20180706_120025.jpg

IMG_20180706_120057.jpg

@Shanling

Jul 6, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #1,792 of 6,418
after a while with the m0 i can say im in love with this tiny device. it has become my main source for audio i have it with me all day even when im running(love the small factor).
i only have one complain... WHAT is wrong with the shuffle system? i have 500 songs right now and i only hear the same 50 over and over again. i forget i have some songs in it. can you please fix this? i had the same problem with the axon 7 and lg v20. my ipod nano 10 years ago had better shuffle from all these devices. can you please change the shuffle system? :) :L3000::L3000:

Jul 6, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #1,793 of 6,418
They could always add audiob..... oh what's the point :frowning2:

On the subject of cards, why not just jump to a 400 and have done with it? Thinking of doing that so I can keep everything including audiobooks and music on there and not worry about having to choose what to put on.

I don't need anything that big as I don't get as much new music as I use to. I am in my 50's and I can't stand alot of what passes for music these days. Alot of the bands I like are either retired or not releasing much new music. I would likely be dead and buried before I could fill up a 400 GB card. Not to mention as card sizes get bigger DAP's also get slower and take longer to update libraries. I can probably count on one hand the number of current so called popular artists I like to listen to. As an example I am a big Dave Mathews Band fan and they just released a new album after 6 years. Another is Snow Patrol and they took 7 years to release a new album.

Also a big reason I don't buy more expensive DAP's as I really only to listen to music when commuting. I have a nice system at home but I am so busy I hardly ever listen at home and mostly use it for watching movies these days.

Jul 6, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #1,794 of 6,418
Could anyone explain me what's the point on having LDAC support in this device if it's limited to BT 4.1 (data throughput of less than 400 Kbps) while LDAC requires between 600 Kbps and 990 Kbps depending of the quality chosen?

throughput_chart.ashx

Jul 6, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #1,795 of 6,418
Jul 6, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #1,796 of 6,418
This article should explain it... Even though it's from an Android news site. It's actually very informative.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidauthority.com/sony-ldac-codec-790690/amp/

Hope it is what you were asking for...

I understand the transfer rate part and why Sony decides to put the maximum LDAC quality under the 1 Mbps mark (990 Kbps), but I assume the data throughput between both devices connected also influences in this matter, no?

As I point above, data throughput for BT version 4.1 is barely 350 Kbps...

I ask this based on my understanding, if someone really knows how this factors relate between each other, it would be great to know.

Jul 7, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #1,797 of 6,418
Could anyone explain me what's the point on having LDAC support in this device if it's limited to BT 4.1 (data throughput of less than 400 Kbps) while LDAC requires between 600 Kbps and 990 Kbps depending of the quality chosen?

throughput_chart.ashx

I have a Sony NWZ-A17 and when I stream to my Sony receiver on the sound quality setting for LDAC I register 906 Kbps and 600 Kbps on LDAC Standard and it is only bluetooth 3.0. I don't know the technical details of LDAC but I do know it sounds great and that is all that matters to me.

Jul 7, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #1,798 of 6,418
I don't need anything that big as I don't get as much new music as I use to. I am in my 50's and I can't stand alot of what passes for music these days. Alot of the bands I like are either retired or not releasing much new music. I would likely be dead and buried before I could fill up a 400 GB card. Not to mention as card sizes get bigger DAP's also get slower and take longer to update libraries. I can probably count on one hand the number of current so called popular artists I like to listen to. As an example I am a big Dave Mathews Band fan and they just released a new album after 6 years. Another is Snow Patrol and they took 7 years to release a new album.

Also a big reason I don't buy more expensive DAP's as I really only to listen to music when commuting. I have a nice system at home but I am so busy I hardly ever listen at home and mostly use it for watching movies these days.

Have a listen to Greta Van Fleet

Jul 7, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #1,799 of 6,418

throughput_chart.ashx

The Y axis of that graph is labelled wrong. BT 4.1 bandwidth is 25Mbps, not 0.25Mbps as it is suggesting.

Jul 7, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #1,800 of 6,418
Had my M0 for a few weeks and still very impressed with it. Excellent for sound and value.
A very minor niggle has occurred for me. Twice now I have switched off at night with a full or perhaps 3/4 battery level - but in the morning at switch on I got a "low battery" warning. Almost as if something kept using battery overnight - or somehow it switched itself on again? Now - this latter case is certainly possible - in that I had placed the M0 in the small pouch with some Etymotic 6i iems i was using. Quite possible that in zipping up the pouch the button on the side of the M0 got pressed inadvertantly.
I will test by keeping the player "out in the open" and being careful at "long press switch off"!!
Is there some sort of setting that can guard against this? Sleep? etc. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back