Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
May 18, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #631 of 6,418
Sony's long given up on the idea that you must go "all in Sony" and embraced a more open approach where customers can mix and match. Would they want you to buy all Sony? Of course they would, but they'd also rather you not to pass over their BT headphones and choose competitors' offering which is mostly aptX based because your preferred non-Sony DAP/smartphone doesn't support LDAC in which case they get no money at all. Also if LDAC gets wide support, then Sony themselves won't have to license aptX to use in their own BT products which would easily save them millions on top of the licensing money they get from selling LDAC to other manufacturers. It's in Sony's best interest to basically whore out LDAC to basically anyone willing to use it at this moment in time to win the battle of BT audio codec adoption, and the more the merrier, especially now that smartphones ditching headphone jacks is slowly picking up speed.

May 18, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #633 of 6,418
Does anyone know if the M0 can be used as a transport for an iBasso D14 (via the USB input)?

May 18, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #636 of 6,418
Do you know if I need an OTG cable, or will any old USB cable (with the correct connectors) do?

May 19, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #638 of 6,418
I like this little guy. I have some UI gripes though. I like to fast forward through songs sometimes, however, how they have the UI set up if you hold on screen it takes you all they way back to the main menu. So you have to swipe to the right then scroll with the progress bar. A little annoying if you swap between devices and have to remember this.

I also am wondering if they plan on adding a custom EQ, right now there are options but none that I like too much. I am Listing with Audeze isine 10 and Sony XBA-A3.

If Shanling adds a custom EQ the Isines will sound much better, but right now they sound muddy or too sibilant depending on the EQ.
20180518_012409_zpsqdxx9vmb.jpg

What's the little iriver out of curiosity?

May 20, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #642 of 6,418
i received mine 2 days ago, and because there's no too much info online about it i wanted to give some impressions. first SQ to me is very very good, it has a very neutral sound with great bass, treeble is good enough and you can hear the diferent frecuencies without being harsh. i did have a few problems with the UI before updating the firmware to 1.5, and you need to make shure that you use a FAT32 formatted TF card, if not it'll give you all kind of problems, after updating the firmare it just grat to me; the screen it's bright enough to use it at sun light and image quality is great; also the battery gives me roughly 8 hours of continue playback of ALAC and FLAC files. if anyone has questions i'll be happy to answer them, and i also could send some pictures ..

May 20, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #643 of 6,418
...also the battery gives me roughly 8 hours of continue playback of ALAC and FLAC files...

That's a long way short of the promised 15 hours. Can you tell us a little about how you used it? Did you spend a lot of time looking at the screen and choosing tracks?

May 20, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #644 of 6,418
That's a long way short of the promised 15 hours. Can you tell us a little about how you used it? Did you spend a lot of time looking at the screen and choosing tracks?
i think that the 15 hours promised is depending on usage, so the 15 hours maybe is using mp3 files IMO. also about how i used the player, i did spend time looking at the screen chosing tracks and changing settings just to try the diferent options it has and many times leaving the screen on so it can go into standby by himself. also i used headphones for about 3 to 4 hours continuosly at 55, 65 volume(shure 425's IEM 22 ohms) then i changed to speakers conecting the M0 to my s.m.s.l. AD18 at 100 volume and for about 2 hours or so, then resting like 5 hours (standby Mode) and using it again for a little more than 3 hours at full volume

May 20, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #645 of 6,418
With any new device, be it Music player or telephone, we tend to constantly pick them up and play with them for the first few days. I wouldn't judge the battery life on usage in the first few occasions of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back