Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
May 17, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #620 of 6,418
Very neutral

May 17, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #621 of 6,418
LDAC comes with three different types of connection mode – quality priority, normal, and connection priority. Each of these offers a different bitrate, weighing in at 990, 660, and 330 kbps respectively.But consider that not every chip (not even every Bluetooth 4.x chip), and therefore not every phone, will necessarily support Sony’s LDAC at the highest quality setting.
What's the difference between LDAC-normal and LDAC-HQ? Forgive my noobishness, but I thought there was only one LDAC format...

May 17, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #622 of 6,418
Still sceptical about whether M0 really can receive HQ LDAC stream. Just can't figure Sony licensing such an inexpensive alternative to their own products. Wouldnt make sense from a marketing point of view..

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #623 of 6,418
I like this little guy. I have some UI gripes though. I like to fast forward through songs sometimes, however, how they have the UI set up if you hold on screen it takes you all they way back to the main menu. So you have to swipe to the right then scroll with the progress bar. A little annoying if you swap between devices and have to remember this.

I also am wondering if they plan on adding a custom EQ, right now there are options but none that I like too much. I am Listing with Audeze isine 10 and Sony XBA-A3.

If Shanling adds a custom EQ the Isines will sound much better, but right now they sound muddy or too sibilant depending on the EQ.
20180518_012409_zpsqdxx9vmb.jpg

20180518_012409.jpg

May 18, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #624 of 6,418
Yesterday received. By the sound is not yet ready to say, but in principle he took a couple to the column Edifier MP700.
At first impressions, very uncomfortable management. And the most unpleasant thing in the file system is not scrolling names ie. only one screen and if in the title of the track goes first the names of the album find the desired track is unrealistic, the same with the names of the albums ate first the performer trouble. Maybe you have not figured out the settings yet, who knows. By sound if interesting later accomplish your goal.

May 18, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #625 of 6,418
I'm unable to update to firmware 1.5. When I choose "System Update", it will eventually say "Restarting" then the screen goes blank. A friend of mind was able to update his and he said the screen should turn on. I left it alone for a good 15 minutes thinking it just takes long to update. I try to turn it on normally by holding the button down for about 5 seconds but it doesn't. To turn it on I have to press that tiny reset button where the sdcard resides or hold down the power button for about 10-20 seconds. I'm downloading the firmware from the shanling.com site (actual link is: http://www.shanling.com/Product/Detail?id=f009f9f9c6304359a99bc7d0d51a7d46#modal). Could it be that file at that link is corrupted? I've tried downloading it through 3 different devices (laptop, android phone and tablet) with all attempts to update the firmware failing. @Shanling - could you please verify that the file at that link is not corrupted? Maybe you could host it on dropbox like how you did with the m1 and 2s .

Another issue is that I'm unable to pair the M0 with my Sony ZX300. Both devices are unable to see each other when scanning. I've owned the M1, 2s and 3s and they have not given me any problems at all.

May 18, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #626 of 6,418
I'm unable to update to firmware 1.5. When I choose "System Update", it will eventually say "Restarting" then the screen goes blank. A friend of mind was able to update his and he said the screen should turn on. I left it alone for a good 15 minutes thinking it just takes long to update. I try to turn it on normally by holding the button down for about 5 seconds but it doesn't. To turn it on I have to press that tiny reset button where the sdcard resides or hold down the power button for about 10-20 seconds. I'm downloading the firmware from the shanling.com site (actual link is: http://www.shanling.com/Product/Detail?id=f009f9f9c6304359a99bc7d0d51a7d46#modal). Could it be that file at that link is corrupted? I've tried downloading it through 3 different devices (laptop, android phone and tablet) with all attempts to update the firmware failing. @Shanling - could you please verify that the file at that link is not corrupted? Maybe you could host it on dropbox like how you did with the m1 and 2s .

Another issue is that I'm unable to pair the M0 with my Sony ZX300. Both devices are unable to see each other when scanning. I've owned the M1, 2s and 3s and they have not given me any problems at all.

Worked fine for me.

Did you use a Fat32 microSD card?
It's explicitly required on the instruction to perform the 1.5 update.
Nowadays most microSD are exFat out of the box...

May 18, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #627 of 6,418
Yes. I'm using an old 8GB card. Formatted as FAT32 via Windows 10 and the included format tool in the firmware zip file.

May 18, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #628 of 6,418
Installed 1.5 in which supposedly - Increase the long file names of the left scrolling slip function;
Really works but for 10 minutes of digging it turned out to make this svayp 2 times. + After the firmware went friezes on the interface.
Until they are happy.

May 18, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #629 of 6,418
Still sceptical about whether M0 really can receive HQ LDAC stream. Just can't figure Sony licensing such an inexpensive alternative to their own products. Wouldnt make sense from a marketing point of view..

Except for the fact that Sony already shown their hand when they build LDAC support to Android Oreo for no charge preciously because they want to positioned themselves to push for widespread adoption of the codec (there's bound to be some really crap Android phones in the future with LDAC support) over the competing aptX stuff from Qualcomm, so this move actually makes perfect sense in marketing point of view?

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #630 of 6,418
It's another way for Sony to make money in the long run, no fee for android to be built into the smartphone, but for vendors to make iem, speakers and headphones, they need to pay for the technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back