Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Dec 6, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #5,746 of 6,413
Thanks a bunch @Shanling for the new firmware update. I am sure those who have been asking for replay gain will be very happy!
I am afraid my car is too old to be able to communicate with the M0, but in winter I can start it up by hand with a crank - also nice
What I liked was the bug fix on the foreign characters. Most of the works of French classical composers used to have a lot of Chinese characters in their titles, according to the M0.
I am sorry to spoil the fun a bit by noting that Stravinsky's ballet "Orphée" still has a beautiful Chinese character at the end, and the "Pièces Froides" by Erik Satie also have Chinese wisdom in them.
Most titles by the Czech Band Jablkoň are almost entirely Chinese. Anyone with "Carnival des Animeaux" by Saint Saëns on their M0 will have noticed that this composer is also still partially Asian.
Of course, I was disappointed not to see the word "gapless" in the notes, but I have decided not to be grumpy about it and instead be happy with what I have to be happy with (to freely quote King Crimson)
I guess I will have to learn and live with Annie Lennox singing "Legend in my Living Roo...." at the end of the eponymous song...
Keep up the good work Shanling, you are still awesome.

Dec 7, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #5,748 of 6,413
3. Added “In-Vehicle mode”. Go to System settings to enable
Note: Designed for use with M0 connected to car audio system and with permanently connected USB charging cable.
- When system detects USB cable started charging, M0 will turn on and will jump to now playing screen. You need to manually start playback or M0 will turn off after 1 minute.
- When system detects USB cable stopped charging, M0 will automatically turn off after 1 minute.

Don't know if my suggestion for this (that got 0 likes or replies, lol) had anything to do with it, but look forward to trying this out! :red_car::yum:

Dec 7, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #5,749 of 6,413
After installing firmware 3.2, like a curious monkey, I switched REPLAY GAIN to ON to see what would happen. I did not notice much difference - the sound levels were pretty random as always, but then that was not surprising since I have never tagged my music for replay gain properly. I switched REPLAY GAIN back to OFF.
However, the next morning.... I noticed that the overall volume level of my M0 was 50% lower than usual. I had to put the volume twice as high to get the usual sound on my speaker. On my headphones I had very low volume even on 100%.
I checked the REPLAY GAIN setting. It was still OFF.
Rolling back to Firmware 3.1 solved this. Sound levels were as usual.
I tried re-updating to 3.2, without touching the REPLAY GAIN this time, but the volume was 50% lower again. Seems that I am stuck with 3.1 if I want audible sound volume on my headphones.
If anyone can explain to me what happens here, you're very welcome.

Dec 8, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #5,750 of 6,413

This morning, after reading your comment, I used Blon BL-03 to listen to my updated M0 3.2 for the first time. The first song was Storm by Ruelle (mp3, 320). I immediately noticed a big boost in volume but the bass was really messed up, all muddled together. I checked my music settings and sure enough, turning on the REPLAY GAIN had also turned on the Hi-Gain setting. I had not touched the Hi-Gain toggle, it had to have happened automatically during the update or when I turned on REPLAY GAIN.

I never listen to IEM's on Hi-Gain on M0, the lows get all f'ed up, at-least on my humble collection. I turned off Hi-Gain, left REPLAY GAIN on. I listen at about 47 on my CCA C10 and ES4 but had been going up to 56 on the Blons. I had to dial back to 53 now and that was still on the loud side. It could be that I had finally managed to obtain a proper seal with the Blons for the first time since obtaining them but I noticed a very. very nice richness to the sound. I listened for about 85 minutes straight. I haven'y noticed any sort of adverse effect on the sound quality apart from that Hi-Gain toggling itself on initially. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #5,751 of 6,413
Also, what is the use case of the playing speed? If it is for audiobooks/podcasts, I would expect 1.25x/1.5x more than 2x/4x.

Playback speed was added there at kind of last moment. Apparently they throw it in because some Chinese users want to use M0 for learning English( Not sure how can anybody learn anything at 4x speed). I gave them feedback to add 1.25 and 1.5 for next firmware.

Thank you for the new update. Can I export favorite songs as playlist?

Unfortunately no.

Thanks a bunch @Shanling for the new firmware update. I am sure those who have been asking for replay gain will be very happy!
I am afraid my car is too old to be able to communicate with the M0, but in winter I can start it up by hand with a crank - also nice
What I liked was the bug fix on the foreign characters. Most of the works of French classical composers used to have a lot of Chinese characters in their titles, according to the M0.
I am sorry to spoil the fun a bit by noting that Stravinsky's ballet "Orphée" still has a beautiful Chinese character at the end, and the "Pièces Froides" by Erik Satie also have Chinese wisdom in them.
Most titles by the Czech Band Jablkoň are almost entirely Chinese. Anyone with "Carnival des Animeaux" by Saint Saëns on their M0 will have noticed that this composer is also still partially Asian.
Of course, I was disappointed not to see the word "gapless" in the notes, but I have decided not to be grumpy about it and instead be happy with what I have to be happy with (to freely quote King Crimson)
I guess I will have to learn and live with Annie Lennox singing "Legend in my Living Roo...." at the end of the eponymous song...
Keep up the good work Shanling, you are still awesome.

Will send it them these to keep fixing. If you find any more, send them to me in PM, thanks.

After installing firmware 3.2, like a curious monkey, I switched REPLAY GAIN to ON to see what would happen. I did not notice much difference - the sound levels were pretty random as always, but then that was not surprising since I have never tagged my music for replay gain properly. I switched REPLAY GAIN back to OFF.
However, the next morning.... I noticed that the overall volume level of my M0 was 50% lower than usual. I had to put the volume twice as high to get the usual sound on my speaker. On my headphones I had very low volume even on 100%.
I checked the REPLAY GAIN setting. It was still OFF.
Rolling back to Firmware 3.1 solved this. Sound levels were as usual.
I tried re-updating to 3.2, without touching the REPLAY GAIN this time, but the volume was 50% lower again. Seems that I am stuck with 3.1 if I want audible sound volume on my headphones.

This morning, after reading your comment, I used Blon BL-03 to listen to my updated M0 3.2 for the first time. The first song was Storm by Ruelle (mp3, 320). I immediately noticed a big boost in volume but the bass was really messed up, all muddled together. I checked my music settings and sure enough, turning on the REPLAY GAIN had also turned on the Hi-Gain setting. I had not touched the Hi-Gain toggle, it had to have happened automatically during the update or when I turned on REPLAY GAIN.

I never listen to IEM's on Hi-Gain on M0, the lows get all f'ed up, at-least on my humble collection. I turned off Hi-Gain, left REPLAY GAIN on. I listen at about 47 on my CCA C10 and ES4 but had been going up to 56 on the Blons. I had to dial back to 53 now and that was still on the loud side. It could be that I had finally managed to obtain a proper seal with the Blons for the first time since obtaining them but I noticed a very. very nice richness to the sound. I listened for about 85 minutes straight. I haven'y noticed any sort of adverse effect on the sound quality apart from that Hi-Gain toggling itself on initially. Hope this helps.

Will look into these problems.

But is it true that in Bluetooth receiver mode, the only codecs availables are SBC and LDAC ? No Aptx ?

Receiver supports AAC, SBC and LDAC. It's correct that aptX is not supported in Bluetooth receiver mode.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 10, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #5,753 of 6,413
@Shanling: Can you explain a little how your ReplayGain implementation works?

Is it supposed to be noticeable when you change it during playback? Does it work during shuffle play?

Perhaps you can add some info on it on the 'information' (i) page in playback where it lists more (technical) details about the track you are playing.

I have a hard time noticing any difference and still get wild volume level differences between tracks despite ReplayGain being on and applied to all my (FLAC) files.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #5,755 of 6,413

Is it supposed to be noticeable when you change it during playback? Does it work during shuffle play?

Perhaps you can add some info on it on the 'information' (i) page in playback where it lists more (technical) details about the track you are playing.

I have a hard time noticing any difference and still get wild volume level differences between tracks despite ReplayGain being on and applied to all my (FLAC) files.
Replay gain is dependent on a tag. To set the tag, you must use an app that can scan for volume level and set the tag appropriately for the track. Many PC music player apps can do this for you.

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #5,756 of 6,413
Shanling M0 Firmware V3.2 notes

Download from Google Drive or our website

New Functions:

1. Added ReplayGain function. Go to Playback menu to enable.

2. Added playback speed control, allowing 2x and 4x speed of playback. Can be activated on Now Playing screen.
Note: Limited to files with sampling rate of 48kHz or below, not available for Hi-Res files.

3. Added “In-Vehicle mode”. Go to System settings to enable
Note: Designed for use with M0 connected to car audio system and with permanently connected USB charging cable.
- When system detects USB cable started charging, M0 will turn on and will jump to now playing screen. You need to manually start playback or M0 will turn off after 1 minute.
- When system detects USB cable stopped charging, M0 will automatically turn off after 1 minute.

4. Added Playlist Import / Export function. Can be accessed under “…” in Playlist menu.
Notes:
- Works with .m3u playlist files.
- Playlists will be exported into “_explaylist_data” folder in root folder of Micro SD card.
- To import user created playlists, put .m3u file into “_explaylist_data” folder in root folder of Micro SD card and click “Import playlists” in Playlist menu.
- We recommend to export one playlist from your M0 and follow its formatting for user created playlists.

Changes and fixes

1. Improved font files to avoid problem with some special symbols from different world languages.
2. Adjusted Bluetooth receiver mode, enabling wheel shortcuts to work at all times.
3. Optimized Bluetooth performance, providing more stable connection.
4. Added battery icon into Lockscreen.
5. Improved performance of Lyrics function.
6. Other bug fixes.

I had to roll back to 3.1 because in the new firmware after unlocking there is no screen with play/pause buttons - so in 3.2 you have to go in folders, or my music and search your artist again. Am i missing something?

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #5,757 of 6,413
I had to roll back to 3.1 because in the new firmware after unlocking there is no screen with play/pause buttons - so in 3.2 you have to go in folders, or my music and search your artist again. Am i missing something?

After you unlock M0, you should be on now playing screen. Where does your M0 go when you unlock it?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 10, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #5,759 of 6,413

If you have set replaygain tags correctly, when you turn on replaygain, it should immediately affect volume of currently played song. Of course if it's set at value you can easily recognize by ear.
And it should work when going through "Open all".

If you have problems, please send us some files showing different volume, so we can test it.

it's on the last position before locking

And were you using player for little while, playing some songs? Or did you just turn on the player? There is difference in behavior between these two situations.

Dec 10, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #5,760 of 6,413
If you have set replaygain tags correctly, when you turn on replaygain, it should immediately affect volume of currently played song. Of course if it's set at value you can easily recognize by ear.
And it should work when going through "Open all".

If you have problems, please send us some files showing different volume, so we can test it.

And were you using player for little while, playing some songs? Or did you just turn on the player? There is difference in behavior between these two situations.

Playing songs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back