Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jul 22, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #5,371 of 6,418
I'd like to report the volume is way too loud with Huawei Freebuds (first gen), while there's no such issue with Jaybird Freedom 1 & 2, neither with wired earbuds. It's like there's no progression : 1 is low, 2 is medium, 3 and above are loud and extremelly loud, no smooth volume control at all.
Freebuds have no issue while paired with a smartphone, volume control is OK and progressive.

I'd also like to report that I'm having some volume issues with my wireless earbuds. The volume is very loud on my 1More Stylish True Wireless earbuds - it gets very loud by around 5. By contrast, my Sony WF-1000XM3s are very quiet - even when I dial the volume up to 100, they're still quieter than the 1More earbuds at 5. I don't experience this volume issue when I pair my 1More or Sony earbuds to my smartphone.

Perhaps the soft volume for the Sony earbuds is related to their simultaneous Bluetooth transmission?

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #5,372 of 6,418
It has been added. You can put m3u files on your player and use that. There is no integration between external playlist files and the built-in playlists though.
What do you put in the m3u files? I put the file in Playlists/Black & Blue.m3u and have tried giving paths relative to the root (like iTunes/iTunes Music/Bright Eyes...etc...), absolute (like /iTunes/...), and relative to the playlists directory (like ../iTunes/...), and moved the playlist to the root directory and used relative paths, and always got file not found.

Changing the slash to backslash, Windows style, didn't make a difference.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #5,373 of 6,418
Sorry for all the posts but... Something else just happened. I left the player in standby. When I took it in my hands it said "memory card removed" then after 2 seconds "memory card inserted" restarting the scan because I have it on automatic... Of course I never touched the SD... also, sometimes when i use the time bar to move inside a track, the player got stuck and i need to presso back or forward to make it play again. i'm using a sandisk extreme 256gb (model name SDSQXA1-256G-GN6MA) filled with around 120gb of mp3

Seems your MicroSD is acting weird. I pretty much use the M0 same as you filled with mp3s for maximum storage capacity (audio quality on 320kbps is fine by me).
Already used mine with a 128gb MicroSD (Toshiba Exceria M303 U3), but ended up filling it and then switched to another Toshiba MicroSD (M203 U1). I've got around 140gb, of music, never had a problem.

Had some SanDisk cards fail on me before (not on the M0, just on android phones), so I don't trust them. It's probably dumb but Toshibas never failed me as of yet.
I'd suggest to try to check if another card has the same problems. If not, then maybe try formatting.

Jul 22, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #5,374 of 6,418
What do you put in the m3u files? I put the file in Playlists/Black & Blue.m3u and have tried giving paths relative to the root (like iTunes/iTunes Music/Bright Eyes...etc...), absolute (like /iTunes/...), and relative to the playlists directory (like ../iTunes/...), and moved the playlist to the root directory and used relative paths, and always got file not found.

Avoid playlist with External info (#EXTINF). Also no diacritics on file name. That solved it for me.

Jul 22, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #5,375 of 6,418

Example:
Anotación 2019-07-23 015310.jpg

Jul 22, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #5,376 of 6,418
my LAME encoded *.mp3 doesen't play properly, there is a gap between tracks. i can't listen to sigur ros or pink floyd like this (or even daft punk, chemical brothers and a lot of classical music.. yes, i listen to very different music genres)... and i'd prefer not using flac files because of storage space. what it the exact codec you used for your tracks? funny thing is.. looks like it works for some tracks and some other don't, on the same album.. so mp3 encoded the same way...

@Shanling i really hope it will be fixed so it will work like poweramp or foobar, but maybe people doesen't care enough for some reason.. (no problems with glitching interface tho on firmware 3.0) if no firmware update with mp3 gapless fix is coming, i will return it, as i did with the fiio m3k and start the search again since i wont encode all my cd library all over again because a player doesen't work as it should..:frowning2: it works a lot better than on the fiio tho, so i want to have faith, but please keep us updated sice this will completely ruin the music experience for mixed album, which are A LOT.

Unfortunately we are facing some problems with gapless on certain formats from very beginning of our system. For example FALC and WV works without problem, AAC and mp3 still keep tiny gap. Software team still has it on list of fixes and I remindem them about it, but not sure when is any fix coming...

Has it been added and do you have any documentation on it? The documentation that comes with the device is kind of minimal.

You can find advanced manual on first page of this thread, it's linked in post #3

For playlists, be sure to have them with relative path and put them in folder that is matching the path. I can recommend free and basic program "playlist creator", just set it to relative paths and turn off external information and you are good to go.

Here is example of playlist I just created over Playlist Creator. Since playlist file is hidden in subfolders, there are automatically created the ..\ segments.

7090705b7d80ef20f795756372f8712.png

What is that "gain" option for? Anyway, I'm listening more right now. On somen tracks it kinda works, on others there is a gap/click. the same album plays.. badly.. compared to a proper gapless player like foobar. I can't be alone asking this...

Gain, to make it simple, you choose gain based on your headphones. If they are very efficient, choose lower gain, which will allow more precise volume setting. For more demanding headphones, switch to high gain, which will allow you t get them to louder levels.

Also pro tip: it seems to happen very soon after turning on the device. I think it never happened to me after certain amount of time.

Do you have Bluetooth turned on? Bluetooth can sometimes freeze system,e specially when you turn on M0 and it starts searching for devices.

I'd also like to report that I'm having some volume issues with my wireless earbuds. The volume is very loud on my 1More Stylish True Wireless earbuds - it gets very loud by around 5. By contrast, my Sony WF-1000XM3s are very quiet - even when I dial the volume up to 100, they're still quieter than the 1More earbuds at 5. I don't experience this volume issue when I pair my 1More or Sony earbuds to my smartphone.

Perhaps the soft volume for the Sony earbuds is related to their simultaneous Bluetooth transmission?

Thank you for reporting this. We saw this in past only with oldest first generation of TWS (I think very first TWS from Cowon were showing this), interesting that new 1More TWS are experiencing same problem.

And you are saying your Sony are too quiet with your M0? That you can get louder volume with phone?

I will let our software team know about this and tell them to fix it.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 22, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #5,377 of 6,418
I’ve only used this as TIDAL -> iPhone X -> M0 -> wired IEM and I’ve been extremely impressed with it.

It’s very musical and engaging (not really neutral and cold), but also pretty detailed at the same time. It has great tonality which makes it a nice and sweet listen.

Amazingly pocketable form and nice build feel too.

Very impressed for the price I paid for it.

Jul 23, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #5,378 of 6,418
By contrast, my Sony WF-1000XM3s are very quiet - even when I dial the volume up to 100, they're still quieter than the 1More earbuds at 5. I don't experience this volume issue when I pair my 1More or Sony earbuds to my smartphone.
Try increasing volume on your XM3's by swapping up. It shouldnt affect volume when you plug them back to your phone, but will remain high enough with m0. I have xm2 and never had an issue with it being quiet. Listening on vol. 40-45. However i never touch volume control on my m0 as i always use it on my bt headphones where it is possible (jaybird x4 , wh-1000xm2)

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #5,380 of 6,418
Unfortunately we are facing some problems with gapless on certain formats from very beginning of our system. For example FALC and WV works without problem, AAC and mp3 still keep tiny gap. Software team still has it on list of fixes and I remindem them about it, but not sure when is any fix coming...

thanks, i want to give faith in software team but if i read correctly you reminded them already in jan 2019 and still nothing..

anyway, can i ask 2 more things? have you read about my sd behaviour? the sd is brand new bought directly from amazon. formatted via windows 10 then loaded with files. i'm testing the device to see if it happens again during normal playback.

also, any chance that the album list view is coming in a future update? compilations are a mess with the current views...

thanks a lot. it is great to have someone of the company to talk with :wink:

Jul 23, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #5,381 of 6,418
Thank you for reporting this. We saw this in past only with oldest first generation of TWS (I think very first TWS from Cowon were showing this), interesting that new 1More TWS are experiencing same problem.

And you are saying your Sony are too quiet with your M0? That you can get louder volume with phone?

I will let our software team know about this and tell them to fix it.

Thank you for your swift response. Yes, my Sony WF-1000XM3s are too quiet with my M0, even at maximum volume. I'm able to reach higher volumes at lower volume settings on both my smartphone and my Fiio X7.

Try increasing volume on your XM3's by swapping up. It shouldnt affect volume when you plug them back to your phone, but will remain high enough with m0. I have xm2 and never had an issue with it being quiet. Listening on vol. 40-45. However i never touch volume control on my m0 as i always use it on my bt headphones where it is possible (jaybird x4 , wh-1000xm2)

Thanks for your advice! Just to clarify, I have the WF-1000XM3s (Sony's new true wireless earbuds), not Sony's over-ear WH-1000XM3 headphones. The WF-1000XM3s don't have any volume controls on the earbuds. Sony's Headphones Connect app also doesn't have any way to independently adjust the earbuds' volume.

Jul 23, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #5,382 of 6,418
Just to clarify, I have the WF-1000XM3s (Sony's new true wireless earbuds), not Sony's over-ear WH-1000XM3 headphones. The WF-1000XM3s don't have any volume controls on the earbuds. Sony's Headphones Connect app also doesn't have any way to independently adjust the earbuds' volume.
Oh , right, excuse my blindness. Just a single sign makes such difference in understanding. Never had true wireless earbuds in my hands , so cant tell if they sound quiet.
Was actually thinking of getting ones for gym, but decided to buy bluetooth x4 with wire.

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #5,383 of 6,418
You can find advanced manual on first page of this thread, it's linked in post #3
This should be linked from the website, surely? I looked all over en.shanling.com and found nothing. Did I miss something? If not, this needs to be added.https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...ss-sabre-es9218p-fw-3-0.874859/#post-14109863

For playlists, be sure to have them with relative path and put them in folder that is matching the path. I can recommend free and basic program "playlist creator",
I don't use Windows, the playlist files I use are generated by Itunes on Mac, and I can write a script to convert them to whatever the m0 requires easily... if that's documented. If the m0 has special requirements in the playlist file it accepts (backslashes, no #extinf, etc) that should also be documented on the website.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #5,384 of 6,418
No, as I use old good minijack earbuds.

OK, noted, will try to look into this.

thanks, i want to give faith in software team but if i read correctly you reminded them already in jan 2019 and still nothing..

anyway, can i ask 2 more things? have you read about my sd behaviour? the sd is brand new bought directly from amazon. formatted via windows 10 then loaded with files. i'm testing the device to see if it happens again during normal playback.

also, any chance that the album list view is coming in a future update? compilations are a mess with the current views...

thanks a lot. it is great to have someone of the company to talk with :wink:

To be honest, we are actually waiting for ideal mp3 gapless since last march.

I experienced such moment with SD once or twice on my units, I think just some random glitch. But if you see more often, will try to find cause of it.

Album list view? We already have album browsing. Do you mean some special setting for it?

Thank you for your swift response. Yes, my Sony WF-1000XM3s are too quiet with my M0, even at maximum volume. I'm able to reach higher volumes at lower volume settings on both my smartphone and my Fiio X7.

Asked colleague to borrow some for us for testing, will see what we will find out.

I don't use Windows, the playlist files I use are generated by Itunes on Mac, and I can write a script to convert them to whatever the m0 requires easily... if that's documented. If the m0 has special requirements in the playlist file it accepts (backslashes, no #extinf, etc) that should also be documented on the website.

For playlists, it's quite basic and I explained it in previous reply.

Be sure to have them with relative path and put them in folder that is matching the path. Example is in my previous reply.

Unfortunately I have no knowledge how iTunes creates playlists and if they can be easily moved to our players. I see in your previous post, you are talking about itunes/itunes... Do you have folders on your microSD card named exactly the same?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 23, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #5,385 of 6,418
For playlists, it's quite basic and I explained it in previous reply.
That's not "documented".

Documented means you have a document on your website explaining it, and a user looking for it on your website can find the documentation.

I'm actually trying to help here. Documentation is important.

That advanced PDF you linked is pretty good, but it's too hard to find, you have to use Google to find THIS site and THIS thread, and then start reading from the beginning or be lucky enough to have someone tell you about it. It should be on en.shanling.com. And it really needs to go into more detail... the My Music->Playlists submenu is a mystery, you can create a playlist there, for example, but it just creates a playlist called "Playlist1" and doesn't let you put any tracks in it. Is this the "internal playlists" you mentioned elsewhere upthread?

You also need the same kind of document describing the layout of files and where you should put Playlists so the player will see them.

Unfortunately I have no knowledge how iTunes creates playlists and if they can be easily moved to our players.
I'll send you an example file later. I'm kind of not up to fiddling with uploads ... I'm recovering from a root canal and the whole side of my face hurts.

I see in your previous post, you are talking about itunes/itunes... Do you have folders on your microSD card named exactly the same?
No, it's "ITunes/iTunes Music". There's also "iTunes/Purchases" and "iTunes/iTunes Media". I don't know why Purchases is separate from iTunes Music, but it's mostly duplicated in iTunes Music so I didn't bother putting it on my card.

On another subject, I just discovered the player is almost useless as a USB Mass Storage device on Mac. It stops responding very quickly, I suspect when it goes into sleep mode. It doesn't disconnect, it just stops responding. The raw SD card is faster in an SD card reader anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back