Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Sep 11, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #3,091 of 6,413
I think getting into the validity of hi res or DSD is a self defeating discussion. Almost like religion. Some of us really like hi res, others say its not worth it, others say its a release by release situation. Personally I think DSD on a DAP makes sense for certain recorders, especially well recorded analog material.

By the way, there is a certain fishy discussion going on that seems to be dissing on Shanling's delivery of firmware updates. I am in the camp that has seen Shanling regularly support the M1 and M2S which, at least in theory, are current machines. I will admit that the Shanling M2 never quite got a firmware release that I thought was fully stable. But the M0 is already fairly stable and I have no reason to doubt that Shanling will keep supporting the unit, which they expect to be a volume seller.

I am also in the camp that marvels how the M0 actually sounds better than the bigger and more expensive M1. The M0 also sounds better than the HiBy R3. By all rights it should not; but there it is. So I am agreeing with the person who posted that a few comments ago.

Any thoughts about the sound compared to the Hidizs AP80. In the AP80 thread they tell that the AP80 sound should be a lot better than the sound of the M0.
(I know AP80 not released yet, but pre models existing) .

Sep 11, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #3,092 of 6,413
On some of my earlier components WAV did sound better than flac. This, and the car factory system plays only WAV (up to 88/24) or mp3, meant standardizing on WAV made sense. One library that plays on all my stuff.

Memory doesn't matter at home. It barely matters for portables. There are already 512gb mSD cards. Soon there will be 1tb. I would rather carry fewer songs now and be prepared for the future.

Sep 11, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #3,093 of 6,413
Any thoughts about the sound compared to the Hidizs AP80. In the AP80 thread they tell that the AP80 sound should be a lot better than the sound of the M0.
(I know AP80 not released yet, but pre models existing) .

Do they say why it should sound better?

Both use the same ESS Sabre ES9218P but the rest of the electronics might be quite different.

Sep 11, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #3,094 of 6,413
Do they say why it should sound better?

Both use the same ESS Sabre ES9218P but the rest of the electronics might be quite different.

It's just one guy's (OP of AP80 thread) opinion. Let's wait for more reviews.

But the worst part is about audio quality of Shanling M0. It is far, far away from AP80 in almost any aspect apart from power output. Yes, M0 can drive our headphones to the same volume level but this is the only similarity… Lower frequencies are indistinct and feel very moody, there are not much of details — just some smudged bass… Highs sound more harsh and biting which is not good for many music genres. All instruments seems to be gathered closer to center with not enough air and room to take their sweet spot in the mix.

Sep 11, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #3,098 of 6,413
Hello,

When I tried running "setup.exe" from the M0 USB Driver folder from Shanling's website after opening it using RAR Opener (A Windows Store app) I end up getting a window titled "NSIS error" with the message "error launching installer." I've tried redownloading the rar file and trying again but it still gives me the same error.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you!

Sep 12, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #3,099 of 6,413
It's just one guy's (OP of AP80 thread) opinion. Let's wait for more reviews.

Probably just some Hidizs shill populating threads from the competition with BS... You know you have a great product when the competition has to resort to fake news, maybe it's Donald Trump who made the post. :ksc75smile:

Sep 12, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #3,100 of 6,413
Hello,

When I tried running "setup.exe" from the M0 USB Driver folder from Shanling's website after opening it using RAR Opener (A Windows Store app) I end up getting a window titled "NSIS error" with the message "error launching installer." I've tried redownloading the rar file and trying again but it still gives me the same error.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you!
ran into similar issues, use the file linked in OP to install the driver

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z8rK4fOf_OAZ2sFX3PnlVLTGXupQUycI

Sep 12, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #3,101 of 6,413
Chillin with some RT always puts me in a good mood. Sounds wonderful on Moe :)

26CC569E-4E29-48A3-B6D2-6E634920ACCC.jpeg

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #3,102 of 6,413
Sep 12, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #3,103 of 6,413
Chillin with some RT always puts me in a good mood. Sounds wonderful on Moe :)

Good taste in music. I was just listening to Long Misty Days.

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #3,104 of 6,413
Hi. Just got an M0.

I have two queries that hopefully someone can clear up for me please:-

-M0 has Hi-Res Certification but only has frequency response of 20hz-20khz whereas Certification implies it should be up to 40khz minimum. Am I missing something here? I'm not after a debate on Hi-Res merit please.

-The DSD album that I've put on there has clicks or pops before each track starts. They are DSF files made from an ISO back in 2015 and I don't recall the clicks or pops being an issue back then with my Fiio X3ii but I sold it and haven't done DSD since. Is this a known issue with the M0 or is it my files?

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #3,105 of 6,413
Hi. Just got an M0.

I have two queries that hopefully someone can clear up for me please:-

-M0 has Hi-Res Certification but only has frequency response of 20hz-20khz whereas Certification implies it should be up to 40khz minimum. Am I missing something here? I'm not after a debate on Hi-Res merit please.

-The DSD album that I've put on there has clicks or pops before each track starts. They are DSF files made from an ISO back in 2015 and I don't recall the clicks or pops being an issue back then with my Fiio X3ii but I sold it and haven't done DSD since. Is this a known issue with the M0 or is it my files?
You can't hear beyond 20k, but high res files go beyond that due to sampling rate. If it's compatable with sampling rate of 80khz or above, it meets that your mentioned 40k criteria which I have no doubt M0 does given all formats it supports.

Also consider your hearing range as well (it doesn't go up to 20k if old enough) considering your age.

That Hi Res is just marketing. It's meaningless.

You'll see that sticker no matter opinions of performance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back