Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 24, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #2,761 of 6,413
363E451B-076B-4978-8793-BB62BDD64AE7.jpeg
What has been everyone's solutions when it comes to stacking? Worried bout it since I'll be stacking it with a cayin c5
This is mine with a Mojo.

Aug 24, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #2,762 of 6,413
Hi @Shanling
It’s been a long time I haven’t been on this thread. But as you’re open to suggestions :grinning:

I had many firmware on the M0 and the Bluetooth receiver function as been greatly improved since.
But there’s still something I can’t manage properly.

I use the M0 both as a music player and also as Bluetooth receiver to watch movies (50% of the time). Switching between the two modes is fast and really good. But no matter what I do, when I power-on the M0 it always automatically connect to my phone which is slightly annoying for me.

It could be really great if:
> Shanling is in BT reception mode > Power off > Wake up as a BT receiver
> Shanling is in Music mode > Power off > Wake up as a Music player.

Also glad to here you’re currently working on the EQ!
I would also suggest to investigate on some 3, 4, 5 clicks options if you have spare time. (Personally I would like 2-clicks to lock/unlock and 3-clicks to play/pause)

Aug 24, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #2,763 of 6,413
Just received a titanium M0 (it was that or black in uk, as far as I could see) and black case (that or brown as far as I could see in uk).

Very slick presentation / packaging ; am well pleased. At the price-point, it is top-drawer ... (imho) !!

Have listened via bt from my phone only, so far ; am just formatting & sorting music onto an sd card ... :)

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #2,764 of 6,413
I was thinking of an LG V30 as an all-in-one solution but since I've read that M0 is equal sonically I've decided to split my devices and save some battery as well
I would not agree on that. I have LG G7 which should have the same audio setup as V30 and it's better for my IEMs (Beyerdynamic Xelento) then Shanling M0 which I use with Huawei P20Pro via LDAC. I would say it has slightly bigger sound stage and slightly better frequency separation and is more detailed.
I am also very conflicted about smartphone vs smartphone+DAP selection. LG G7 just does not tick all boxes for me to replace Huawei P20Pro :frowning2:
I will also test Radsone ES100 and compare to both G7 and Shanling M0.
Also looking forward LG V40 which could potentially become universal device for me personally.

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #2,765 of 6,413
I got mine just over a week ago, loving it and the fact the Bluetooth is stronger than my old iPod Nano (fewer cutouts when walking apart from interference which of course nothing will fix) and as my headphones support AAC it sounds great. Controls can be fiddly, like right-swipe or scrolling down a tracklist by alphabet, but I guess that's the downside of having such a small screen.

One thing I really want as I listen to podcasts and long mixes is remembering the track position, at least for something you're playing. Quite often I come back and find it's gone back to the start (I have Resume as 'Location' - is that correct). As ffwding through the track is a little fiddly and hard to do accurately for a long track, it's annoying. Another vote for the long-awaited podcast/audiobook features like this, because otherwise this would replace my iPod but I'm carrying both atm and only using Shanling for individual music tracks. Would be good if it remembered where you were for all tracks, at least longer ones.

Aug 24, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #2,767 of 6,413
If you are unhappy with waking up M0 with single click of wheel, change the settings from "standby" to "shutdown". Then it will be standard 3 seconds hold every time.

Idle
Setting of power saving mode, if no music is playing and if M0 is not being used.
• Auto-Standby – After 1 minute of no usage and no playing music, M0 will switch into deep sleep standby mode to preserve battery. M0 can be turned on instantly by single
press of volume wheel.

• Auto-shutdown – After no usage and no playing music for set time, M0 will turn off completely.

But that also requires changing how it sleeps though?

Aug 24, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #2,768 of 6,413
Bummer, it's a no go on BT AAC on iPhone X for video. Too much lag so audio out of sync. Tried Netflix and Youtube.

Good news - USB DAC mode works with iPhone X with the CCK adapter. Video is out of sync in USB DAC mode too unfortunately.

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #2,769 of 6,413
Bummer, it's a no go on BT AAC on iPhone X for video. Too much lag so audio out of sync. Tried Netflix and Youtube.

Good news - USB DAC mode works with iPhone X with the CCK adapter. Video is out of sync in USB DAC mode too unfortunately.

I get zero lag by simply plugging a wired headphone directly into the 3.5 mm socket on my LG V30 :wink:

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #2,770 of 6,413
I get zero lag by simply plugging a wired headphone directly into the 3.5 mm socket on my LG V30 :wink:

LOL, if LG V30 came with an electrostatic amp option, I would trade in my iPhone! Now about the about the 200V grid voltage requirement...

IMG_1880.jpg

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #2,772 of 6,413
LOL, if LG V30 came with an electrostatic amp option, I would trade in my iPhone! Now about the about the 200V grid voltage requirement...

I'm also a big fan of that electrostatic amp and headphone system. The KSE1500 is my favorite headphone (in any form factor).
But the V30 has the same DAC/amp as the M0, so if you're happy with the sound of the M0 feeding your KSE, maybe it's time to see Apple for the disingenuous money-grabbers that they are and join us on the light side? :wink:

Aug 24, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #2,773 of 6,413
I'm also a big fan of that electrostatic amp and headphone system. The KSE1500 is my favorite headphone (in any form factor).
But the V30 has the same DAC/amp as the M0, so if you're happy with the sound of the M0 feeding your KSE, maybe it's time to see Apple for the disingenuous money-grabbers that they are and join us on the light side? :wink:

On hardware alone I would go back to Android, but iOS and Apple usability and ecosystem has me hooked.

I will be trying M0 with my Samsung tablet when they finally release LDAC support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back