Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jul 28, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #2,221 of 6,418
I just did as you instructed, placing M0 about 10 to 12 cm away from the phone, screen facing it. I also turned the wifi router off to minimize interference, if any. In LDAC Quality mode at 96 kHz, 24 bits/sample, the sound is breaking up all the time. If I turn the phone screen off, it smoothens and can go on without interruption for quite a long time, up to 20 seconds, but if I turn on the screen and start manipulating it like opening applications or scrolling menus, interruptions may happen every second.

If it’s the M0 that is defective, then why should changes in the status of the source device affect the transmission quality so much?

It's definately the phone. I had the same issue as you on my Galaxy S8..it woultn'd stop skipping in 96/24...But i recently changed to the S9+ and it is working 95% of the time with 96/24...with the s8 it worked 0% of the time.
And other have also said the Sony phone worls too (it had better since LDAC is a sony thing)...so i'm pretty sure the phone plays a part.

Jul 28, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #2,222 of 6,418
Just ordered one in titanium. Again. :wink:

Questions for you guys:

I just obtained a new Sandisk 64GB Ultra microSD card. Can I insert it in the player immediately and it’ll work fine as is or do I have to format it using my computer first?

Also, is there a search functionality where you can select a certain letter and you’ll be given a list of songs/artists/etc. that starts with that particular letter?

Both my FiiO and Sony players have it and I use it a lot, so it’s very important to me.

Lastly, I’m guessing there’s an on the go playlist option that you can create on the player itself while listening to music. Is there a song limit to one playlist? If so, how many?

Thanks, guys.

I promise I won’t cancel my order again like before. I do need some assurance that it has these features I want though. :)

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #2,223 of 6,418

Questions for you guys:

I just obtained a new Sandisk 64GB Ultra microSD card. Can I insert it in the player immediately and it’ll work fine as is or do I have to format it using my computer first?

Also, is there a search functionality where you can select a certain letter and you’ll be given a list of songs/artists/etc. that starts with that particular letter?

Both my FiiO and Sony players have it and I use it a lot, so it’s very important to me.

Lastly, I’m guessing there’s an on the go playlist option that you can create on the player itself while listening to music. Is there a song limit to one playlist? If so, how many?

Thanks, guys.

I promise I won’t cancel my order again like before. I do need some assurance that it has these features I want though. :)

As far as I can tell, the M0 doesn't have a Search option of any kind.
There is a Heart shaped icon, on the Now Playing screen, which you can touch, to add the song to Favorites. I don't know if that creates a Playlist, or not.

Jul 28, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #2,224 of 6,418
As far as I can tell, the M0 doesn't have a Search option of any kind.
There is a Heart shaped icon, on the Now Playing screen, which you can touch, to add the song to Favorites. I don't know if that creates a Playlist, or not.

So there’s no scrolling to a particular letter like Sony daps? Dang. :frowning2:

Jul 28, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #2,225 of 6,418

Questions for you guys:

Thanks, guys.

It has a similar feature to the Sony where if you scroll on the very right it uses the letters of the alphabet to scroll through. And you can make playlists on the M0 but I don’t know the song limit for each playlist, but someone does :wink:

Also after using the A45 for a while and it has burned in some I do think it sounds better than the M0. Both sound good, but the stage and treble opened up on the A45 and the bass tightened up. There is more space around the instruments on the A45. Funny because it sounded quite different out of the box.

M0 has a bit more power though.

Jul 28, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #2,227 of 6,418
See my last post.
Thanks!

Do you know whether a new out of the box (64GB) microSD will work perfectly without any tinkering on my part?

Jul 29, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #2,230 of 6,418
It has a similar feature to the Sony where if you scroll on the very right it uses the letters of the alphabet to scroll through. And you can make playlists on the M0 but I don’t know the song limit for each playlist, but someone does :wink:

Also after using the A45 for a while and it has burned in some I do think it sounds better than the M0. Both sound good, but the stage and treble opened up on the A45 and the bass tightened up. There is more space around the instruments on the A45. Funny because it sounded quite different out of the box.

Thats a placebo effect

Jul 29, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #2,233 of 6,418

Funny I am thinking the same thing about the M0. Initially found it a little bright but after 30+ hours burn in not an issue anymore. Also found the soundstage and air improving after burn in and changing to a different filter. As for the A45 at this point with the A50 likely to be unveiled at IFA in September if I am going to get another Sony DAP that would likely be it. Indications are it will be a design refresh from the A35 and A45.

I can certainly get by until next year with the M0 if the A50 proves to be a worthwhile DAP or possibly one of the next gen Shanling DAP's. Having played with the M0 for awhile now not sure if I want to go back to using a much bigger DAP. The M0 is such a great DAP to carry around when I travel compared to every other DAP I have owned.

Jul 29, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #2,234 of 6,418
Thats a placebo effect
Not really sure if I heard any sonical differences of my A45, myself. I thought I did, but then adjusting the fit of my headphones (via notches) made it sound similar from when the player was still new!

Fit and even the position of headphones themselves can make the sound on them change drastically from my experience.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #2,235 of 6,418
Funny I am thinking the same thing about the M0. Initially found it a little bright but after 30+ hours burn in not an issue anymore. Also found the soundstage and air improving after burn in and changing to a different filter. As for the A45 at this point with the A50 likely to be unveiled at IFA in September if I am going to get another Sony DAP that would likely be it. Indications are it will be a design refresh from the A35 and A45.

I can certainly get by until next year with the M0 if the A50 proves to be a worthwhile DAP or possibly one of the next gen Shanling DAP's. Having played with the M0 for awhile now not sure if I want to go back to using a much bigger DAP. The M0 is such a great DAP to carry around when I travel compared to every other DAP I have owned.

Do filters affect the sound of the player, even when not using it as a DAC? That’s a question I forgot to ask you guys before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back