Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jul 29, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #2,237 of 6,418
If you mean when just using the M0 as a dap, yes the filters make a sonic difference.

Interesting! Which one is ‘best’ to your guys’ ears?

Oh, and do firmware updates alter the sound of the player? Does Shanling tinker with the sound via updates like some other manufacturers?

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #2,238 of 6,418
It has a similar feature to the Sony where if you scroll on the very right it uses the letters of the alphabet to scroll through. And you can make playlists on the M0 but I don’t know the song limit for each playlist, but someone does :wink:

Also after using the A45 for a while and it has burned in some I do think it sounds better than the M0. Both sound good, but the stage and treble opened up on the A45 and the bass tightened up. There is more space around the instruments on the A45. Funny because it sounded quite different out of the box.

M0 has a bit more power though.

Thanks for the update. How long do you think you have used the A45 for ?

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #2,239 of 6,418
Thats a placebo effect

Well it’s a fact that capacitors need time to burn in which changes the voltage swing which can impact the sound. All I know is what I hear and at this point with both players with about 50 hours on them the A45 sounds better to my ears, it has a wider deeper stage and a more detailed natural sound, and better layering.

M0 still sounds excellent,especially for the price, but I’m listening to the Sony more.

Of course ymmv

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #2,241 of 6,418
Well it’s a fact that capacitors need time to burn in which changes the voltage swing which can impact the sound. All I know is what I hear and at this point with both players with about 50 hours on them the A45 sounds better to my ears, it has a wider deeper stage and a more detailed natural sound, and better layering.

M0 still sounds excellent,especially for the price, but I’m listening to the Sony more.

Of course ymmv

My wife has an A45 and I have an M0. I totally agree with that. My wife actually preferred my M0 though. I would have traded if it weren't for the great form factor with my upgraded clip-case! Also the plans to be able to switch tracks via bluetooth....

Jul 29, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #2,242 of 6,418
It has a similar feature to the Sony where if you scroll on the very right it uses the letters of the alphabet to scroll through. And you can make playlists on the M0 but I don’t know the song limit for each playlist, but someone does :wink:

Also after using the A45 for a while and it has burned in some I do think it sounds better than the M0. Both sound good, but the stage and treble opened up on the A45 and the bass tightened up. There is more space around the instruments on the A45. Funny because it sounded quite different out of the box.

M0 has a bit more power though.
haha thats why i am keeping my A45 you have really good ears thats exactly what happened last week after a month of owning but i still like the treble on the M0 better though .. i find the bluetooth perfomance is better on the A45

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #2,243 of 6,418
haha thats why i am keeping my A45 you have really good ears thats exactly what happened last week after a month of owning but i still like the treble on the M0 better by a slight margin .. i find the bluetooth perfomance is better on the A45

Yes the Sony has a different kind of sonic presentation than the M0. Only thing I prefer on the M0 is it sounds better on my vehicles aux in. Because it has more power. Might use an amp with the Sony in the vehicle.

That said I did get the Sony for 128 dollars so that sweetened the deal and was too good to pass up. I don’t think there is a dap that gives you more for the money than M0.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #2,244 of 6,418
i
Yes the Sony has a different kind of sonic presentation than the M0. Only thing I prefer on the M0 is it sounds better on my vehicles aux in. Because it has more power. Might use an amp with the Sony in the vehicle.
yep that sony warm sound signature is intoxicating but i am keeping both DAPS i like them both

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #2,247 of 6,418

Of course ymmv

Burn in w/a dap is just you getting used to the combo of hp's/iem's and player itself. Really, players don't do burn-in, it's a friggin myth. The hp's/iem's burning in is a debatable thing as well

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #2,248 of 6,418
Burn in w/a dap is just you getting used to the combo of hp's/iem's and player itself. Really, players don't do burn-in, it's a friggin myth. The hp's/iem's burning in is a debatable thing as well

Well Sony reccomends 200 hours on SE and Balanced on the zx300 for the caps to ‘Burn in’ ie become more stable for the best sound. Wether it’s physical or mental (probably a bit of both) it happens.

So you just can’t say it’s a myth. Where is you’re proof that it’s a myth? Because I can give you proof that capacitance changes after so many hours which effects voltage flow and output in the end which can effect sound.

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #2,249 of 6,418
Well Sony reccomends 200 hours on SE and Balanced on the zx300 for the caps to ‘Burn in’ ie become more stable for the best sound. Wether it’s physical or mental (probably a bit of both) it happens.

So you just can’t say it’s a myth. Where is you’re proof that it’s a myth? Because I can give you proof that capacitance changes after so many hours which effects voltage flow and output in the end which can effect sound.
Ok where

Users who are viewing this thread

Back