Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Jan 9, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #4,306 of 6,418
I recently decided that apart from my usual portable setup, I wanted something specifically tailored to training: as small and light as possible, and still with great sound. I might turn it into a small review series, as it is really interesting to explore what works well for training. My first setup is the Shanling M0 paired with the Final E4000. Great sound with lots of energy and details come through very well, even when running outside.

I have used this for a couple of trainings so far and really like it. I don't (yet) have the clip and found that I could easily put the M0 in the back pocket of my running tights (usually meant for keys, etc) and run the cable along my back. Worked perfectly!

Now I have run into one issue that might, or might not, be possible to solve easily. I had created a carefully selected playlist on my AK70 and even went through the trouble of ordering the tracks so that there was a build up in the music that worked well for strength training. When I created the same playlist for the M0 the tracks ended up in a completely different order (not in the order I added them). Is there a way to arrange the tracks of a playlist?

For this DAP, I only use MP3 files so with a 256 gb card I have lots of room. What I have done is to create a new "album" in my managing music software. I use mediamonkey. I then create a new Genre. I put all my new "albums" in this genre, and now I can have multiple playlists to run. Yes it duplicates files, but mediamonkey makes it easy to manage, and these simple DAPs are far easier to operate thru albums and genre than thru playlists.

Jan 9, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #4,309 of 6,418
Shanling M0 Firmware 2.3 notes

Changes and fixes:

1. Added clock and battery indicator into Bluetooth receiver mode

4. Improved Bluetooth connection.

Can you elaborate on this a bit more? Didn't it already have clock and battery indicator working when in Bluetooth mode or is this when the M0 is used as BT receiver (where it previously just showed nothing else on screen)?
How has the bluetooth connection improved? It almost always currently takes two clicks to play M0. It generally stays connected for long periods but it almost never starts playing when you press play the first time either. Is this designed to fix that or something else?

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #4,310 of 6,418
I'm wondering if I should use FLACs with this device? It will do two uses; at the gym with $10 chifi earbuds and at home with Koss Porta Pros. The Porta Pros listening at home will be a bit more critical, just sitting there enjoying the album, so I think I can benefit from FLACs?

I have a fiio x7 for critical listening with flac files and my IEM's.. I use the M0 for bluetoothing to my portable speakers. MP3 are fine for this. That said, I would put a couple files of favorite music on the M0. One set as MP3 (320kb) and the other set as flac. Compare them. The issue I see with this unit is the DAC is not as powerful as you will find in other high end DAPs. It might not get you the resolution from the flac to actually hear a difference.

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #4,311 of 6,418
I have a fiio x7 for critical listening with flac files and my IEM's.. I use the M0 for bluetoothing to my portable speakers. MP3 are fine for this. That said, I would put a couple files of favorite music on the M0. One set as MP3 (320kb) and the other set as flac. Compare them. The issue I see with this unit is the DAC is not as powerful as you will find in other high end DAPs. It might not get you the resolution from the flac to actually hear a difference.

It uses the same DAC that's found in the well regarded (for audio) LG V30 phone.

Jan 9, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #4,312 of 6,418
I'm wondering if I should use FLACs with this device? It will do two uses; at the gym with $10 chifi earbuds and at home with Koss Porta Pros. The Porta Pros listening at home will be a bit more critical, just sitting there enjoying the album, so I think I can benefit from FLACs?

FLACs will sound better than if you are using a lossy format (MP3, WMA, etc..). If you want more detail and a clearer sound, then FLACs (or some other lossless format) is a must.

On a related note, after I got my M0 I finally could hear a big difference between MP3 and FLAC. MP3's sound veiled in comparison. I just completed several months of work redoing my entire music collection to FLAC, and it was well worth it.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #4,313 of 6,418
I seriously doubt you'd hear ANY difference with $10 Chi-Fi earbuds! :)
That is assuming good quality MP3s (i.e. 320kbps)...
Even with the Porta Pros, FLAC vs. 320kbps MP3 is unlikely to sound differently.
VERY easy to choose couple of tracks you're familiar with, put both versions on the M0, and try it for yourself :wink:

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #4,314 of 6,418
I've owned the X7 and X7ii and to my ears the M0 is more on par with the second gen model. I personally prefer the M0 DAC over that in the original X7.

Jan 9, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #4,316 of 6,418

If you have everything in Flac and you don't need to squeeze 1TB music on M0, why bother with converting it?
If all your music is currently in mp3, I would advise slowly shifting your music collection into FLAC, might be not be some impactful right now, but will be very helpful in the future.

How to get this PDF?

Can send me PM.

Can you elaborate on this a bit more? Didn't it already have clock and battery indicator working when in Bluetooth mode or is this when the M0 is used as BT receiver (where it previously just showed nothing else on screen)?
How has the bluetooth connection improved? It almost always currently takes two clicks to play M0. It generally stays connected for long periods but it almost never starts playing when you press play the first time either. Is this designed to fix that or something else?

As is written in notes, this is for BT receiver mode, where status bar was missing previously.
BT is always being tweaked and tested, to assure better, more stable connection.

The issue I see with this unit is the DAC is not as powerful as you will find in other high end DAPs.

Well, then we are lucky we are not selling it at high end DAP :wink:

I love the MO. I use itwith my kse1500. Prefect !

I tested this combo last year in Munich. Funny thing is, it was one of the cheapest DACs I connected to M0 during that show :)

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 10, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #4,318 of 6,418
Finally listening to my Shangling. I like! I have to crank the volume to 60 with High Gain on to get a good volume out of my Koss Porta Pros. That sound about right?

Depends on the music you are listening to, your hearing and also surrounding noise (especially with open design as KPP). Even can be affected by part of the day you are currently at.

Until you are hitting 100 volume(and hence having not enough), there is nothing to be worried about.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 10, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #4,319 of 6,418
Depends on the music you are listening to, your hearing and also surrounding noise (especially with open design as KPP). Even can be affected by part of the day you are currently at.

Until you are hitting 100 volume(and hence having not enough), there is nothing to be worried about.

Thanks! What would be best for sound quality? High gain at 50 volume or Low gain at 70 volume?

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #4,320 of 6,418
FLACs will sound better than if you are using a lossy format (MP3, WMA, etc..). If you want more detail and a clearer sound, then FLACs (or some other lossless format) is a must.

On a related note, after I got my M0 I finally could hear a big difference between MP3 and FLAC. MP3's sound veiled in comparison. I just completed several months of work redoing my entire music collection to FLAC, and it was well worth it.

Actually on a $100 DAP like the M0 you aren't likely to hear a difference between 320 Kbps mp3 and flac. I have alot of both and honestly I can't hear a difference 99% of the time. I am using high quality B&W headphones. If space is an issue then 320 Kbps mp3 should be good enough or if you are concerned try ogg vorbis which produces higher quality compressed tracks than mp3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back