Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Aug 28, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #2,821 of 6,418
Also, instead of having the volume slider would it make any sense to have the - and + for changing volume on the main screen like you have to set the max volume? The slider is so small that when you try to use it you can't see the slider to know how much you are increasing or decreasing the volume and it is very sensitive and I keep maxing the volume unintentionally. To me the - and + would give much more accurate control of the volume.
Is it not easier still to use the wheel to change the volume? It is not 100% accurate (either) but for me it is much easier to change volume than a touchscreen.

Aug 28, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #2,822 of 6,418
I was using Huawei P20 Pro. It does not have 3.5mm audio jack. It supports LDAC. So I connected the M0 as a Bluetooth receiver. The musical quality is gorgeous. Definitely not going to match direct wire, but it's clean and devoid of the lossy compression.

Shanling_M0_8.jpg

Overall, thoroughly impressed with the M0, the list of functions and the affordable price point. More importantly, the ES9218P DAC is respectable. Agree that the UI has to be improved. It is really a pain to navigate, I cannot see the song title if the filename starts with the track number and album title. I suppose adding a 1 or 2 customisable buttons should resolve a part of the navigation issue.

I do have quality issues when I connect it to Chord Mojo. Not sure if it's due to my "cheap" USB-C to microUSB cable. DSD files gets disrupted every few seconds, while FLAC files get random static sounds.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #2,823 of 6,418
Short review mostly. I liked the pictures.

Can you please elaborate on this please:

The lack of HiBy Link compared to previous Shanling players was one of the most heard complaints earlier in the thread. Makes me wonder what worked 'flawlessly' for you.

It sounds like you tested playing music files on/from your phone through the M0. I am unclear how that relates to 'HiBy Link'.
I'm guessing pinky meant the LDAC feature.

The Massdrop + Fostex T-X0 ($150) pushes the M0 to the breaking point. At 83/100, on a loud album, I can get them to a satisfying volume. Which is crazy impressive for such a small DAP.
I'm guessing, you did not turn on the high-gain. My HD700 on high gain 65/100 is splendid with no loss of dynamics. On Low again it gassed out around 85/100.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #2,824 of 6,418
I do have quality issues when I connect it to Chord Mojo. Not sure if it's due to my "cheap" USB-C to microUSB cable. DSD files gets disrupted every few seconds, while FLAC files get random static sounds.
It's not the cable. M0's DSD stuttering vis USB-OUT is a know issue and Shanling is working on a fix.

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #2,825 of 6,418
My God though, this player sounds good with full-sized cans. Listening at the moment with the classic ATH-M50Xs and I’m blown away.

@Shanling If you can alter the touch sensitivity a bit to prevent accidental presses, this player would be perfect.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #2,827 of 6,418
@Shanling I have just purchased a Denon DSB-250BT.
On occasion it has connected to the M0 via bluetooth the other way round?
So the M0 just shows a Bluetooth display?
Shutting down the M0 clears the issue but this has happened three times out of twenty so far.

That's unique. Does this speaker has some internal memory or something? Not sure why would it try to connect to M0 the other way.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 28, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #2,829 of 6,418
Does anyone here own the M3s or M2s and this player?

What I want ultimately is a DAP with the sound of the M0 in a slightly larger player. It’s an annoyance operating the M0 while scrolling through songs. Many times, simply swiping up and down registers as touches that select that song instead.

@Shanling Please give the option of altering the touch sensitivity I guess? This annoys me to no end.

Any suggestions on how I can avoid this?

Yeah I made this request many pages back and while it gets better with practice it is still very hit and miss, literally for me with the touch screen. Definitely need some hardware buttons on my next DAP.
Is it not easier still to use the wheel to change the volume? It is not 100% accurate (either) but for me it is much easier to change volume than a touchscreen.

Having used the max volume - and + icons a few times they are very accurate and much more precise than the scroll wheel or the slider. The scroll wheel is not only inaccurate but sometimes the volume jumps up when you try to turn it down which to me is a major pain and it often gets clicked inadvertently. Especially since we don't have replaygain yet. If Shanling already has the + and - implemented for max volume it should be simple to add to the main playback screen. To me anything Shanling can do to make the M0 more user friendly the better. Again everyone's needs are different and since it appears there is a wide age range of users of different ages buying the M0 it would be good to make as user friendly as possible for the widest range of users.

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #2,830 of 6,418
software team somehow didn't put in support of external playlists, apparently not popular function in China.

That's insane. This is absolutely a basic necessity in a modern DAP.
I've bought one expecting it to support m3u files and now I'm really dissapointed that I bought it.

I was told next firmware update will add it.

How far away is this?
Otherwise, I am tossing up chucking it in the bin.

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #2,831 of 6,418
I would love to have that feature too, but I don't don't think there's too much hope that we will get it...
This plus the M3U-support (which was already announced) would make this DAP absolutely perfect for me!
One can try by asking. I'm coming from the Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox and that could do almost everything, it even played Doom (as a proof of concept, not very playable, but it ran!). Also, usability wise, the GUI and navigation was excellent. Even with the small resolution, look at what a theme like this would tell me when I'm playing a file:

ticker-8rlivd.png

That is good design, in my opinion. Of course, it had hardware buttons, but still. If Shanling improves the GUI and control options it would make the product so much better. Maybe hire a Rockbox developer? :) Hardware-wise it's near perfect. It's good to see @Shanling listening to suggestions and bug reports, and announcing upcoming features. Also, maybe something like Trello helps with keeping track of requests/bugs and tell people if it will be done or not.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #2,832 of 6,418
Short review mostly. I liked the pictures.

Can you please elaborate on this please:

The lack of HiBy Link compared to previous Shanling players was one of the most heard complaints earlier in the thread. Makes me wonder what worked 'flawlessly' for you.

It sounds like you tested playing music files on/from your phone through the M0. I am unclear how that relates to 'HiBy Link'.

I guess I misunderstood the feature then. I thought any feature where your phone streams to the DAP is HiBy Link. I'll fix this later. Sorry for the confusion .

Aug 28, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #2,833 of 6,418
Nowadays when I pair Bluetooth devices to my iPhone 8, I can see the battery level of the paired devices. Unfortunately that is not the case with the M0.

Aug 28, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #2,834 of 6,418
Nowadays when I pair Bluetooth devices to my iPhone 8, I can see the battery level of the paired devices. Unfortunately that is not the case with the M0.
same issue with android

Aug 28, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #2,835 of 6,418
From other users I heard that currently it takes too many swipes to get to the music. As always, you can never make everybody happy(without making settings with few hundreds items)

I just don't want it to change settings when simply in a pocket though. Having it be an option to "hold" it somehow would be really helpful for many users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back